General Question Eating Dirt?

BulldogNBoxers

Jun 21, 2012
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus, our 7 year old constantly eats dirt. Anyone know why they do this? I just kinda let him do it because he seems to like it and it doesn't affect him (that I can see). I'd love your thoughts, please.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some times they will eat dirt because they are missing a mineral that they need. Check online for a list of essential vitamins and minerals that dogs need and check his food to see if it has them in it. If it does not then change food, or give him a supplement that has them in it. If they just occasionally eat dirt they may just have an upset tummy.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Along with dirt, Bullies will eat grass also, along with sticks, twigs, leaves and anything else. Maybe also part goat?

Yes, Bullies will eat dirt for a diet deficiency or also just because it is monkey see - monkey do ? I have one Bullie that eats dirt. She has trained 2 others to eat also. I have one dog that eats grass....she's a lab and she has trained most of them to eat grass.

AS with most anything else about Bulldogs, constant attention is necessary ALL THE TIME. Do not let them eat too much.

Good Day~

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some times they will eat dirt because they are missing a mineral that they need. Check online for a list of essential vitamins and minerals that dogs need and check his food to see if it has them in it. If it does not then change food, or give him a supplement that has them in it. If they just occasionally eat dirt they may just have an upset tummy.

agreed.... when Banks was on food that had chicken in it, her allergy, she ate dirt all the time. Once I found out about the allergy removed the chicken from her diet... the dirt eating stopped.

OP
B

BulldogNBoxers

Jun 21, 2012
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Bulldogs are "think tanks" for sure! They see something happening and the mimic it! Thanks for the advice. Zeus does eat all kinds of outdoor treats, grass, dirt, sticks, etc. Maybe he just likes eating stuff lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online