Peeing in the crate?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I am so sorry to post so many questions, but Matilda has yet another issue. Being a first-time bully mommy is hard work!

My now ten wk old pup is being crate trained, and it has gone so well. She even sleeps all the way through the night!

Then the last week or so, she keeps peeing in her crate. I thought it must be happening at night but it isn't! In the morning her bedding and blanket is totally clean. It happens when I leave her during the day for only about two hours! And it never happened before when I would leave her longer - up to four hours!

I used to leave a hamster bottle of water attached to her crate in there all day, and cut off water at 7PM, but since the peeing started, I took it out. She now gets water every couple hours and all day while I'm home. I only leave for 3 hours maximum at a time.

I also can never find the spot she peed on - just her whole bed/blanket will smell. I've been doing laundry every day!

What can I do? I read about just taking all her bedding out and making her sleep on the plastic floor of the crate (it's a wire crate with a plastic pan at the bottom) but it is sad to make her sleep on that hard surface, and what if she pees? She sits in a pool of it until I come home?

Any advice would be welcome! Other than that, potty training is going well so I don't know what exactly the issue is.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
My Mojo is over a year and a half and for some reason if there is bedding in his crate he will pee on it. I take it out and he doesnt. I have no idea why. Sorry I cant help. But try taking it out. I bet she doesnt pee.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
If you do take the bedding out, she will be fine. Often times if Jackson is sleeping/resting/hanging out in his crate, he will move the blanket out of the way and just lay on the hard plastic surface. I've read on here also that other people's bullies do the same thing.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We had the same issue with Bacon and he grew out of it after a little while. He was good in the beginning then regressed for about a month and then stopped on his own. Regarding the bedding we found that once the weather got warmer Bacon preferred to lay on the cooler plastic surfaces vs the warm heavy beds he laid on as a pup. Maybe try reducing the amount of bedding in the crate to something like a beach towel to start and if it continues then remove that. Totally hear you that it is hard we are first time bully owners as well, Bacon is coming up on 9 months, don't worry it will get better eventually. Puppy snuggles make it all worth it at the end of the day :mansfriend:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thank you all! Guess Matilda won't get her soft blankets for a while... it's been HOT here, maybe she'll welcome the change!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Oh no. I took Matilda's bedding out to wash it, put her in her crate with no bedding, came back AND SHE PEED and created a pool of urine. All her toys are now soaked and so was she. I just had to bathe her. This is more work than just letting her sit in her blankets!

Now what do I do? Give her a bath 5x a day or let her sleep in dirty blankets?

Most Reactions