Thread: Clicker Training

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Clicker Training

So I'm thinking about clicker training. Tank is young but I think he could learn more tricks/commands. He's a smart boy and VERY food motivated.

So tell me what I need to know about clicker training. So far I've ordered a clicker....

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I know nothing about clicker training

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Clicker Training

a clicker is nothing more than a bridge. This means it is a sound associated with a reward, a secondary reward. In the beginning, EVERYTIME you click, you should immediately treat. This creates that response of "this noise=food"

The clicker itself is irrelevant, you could just as easily use one word, perhaps "nice" and that word=food. It's difficult for people to do this however, because the word should never be associated out of training context. (So you shouldn't ever tell someone they have nice shoes with your dog around)

An example would be to ask your dog to sit. If he does, immediately click, then treat. If your dog doesn't know how to sit, put him in the sitting position, CLICK as soon as his butt is in sit (don't wait for him to 'hold' the sit, it's too soon) and then treat.

This is positive reinforcement training using bridges and secondary reinforcers. If you look up these terms you should get some more info. PM me if you'd like

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    a clicker is nothing more than a bridge. This means it is a sound associated with a reward, a secondary reward. In the beginning, EVERYTIME you click, you should immediately treat. This creates that response of "this noise=food"

The clicker itself is irrelevant, you could just as easily use one word, perhaps "nice" and that word=food. It's difficult for people to do this however, because the word should never be associated out of training context. (So you shouldn't ever tell someone they have nice shoes with your dog around)

An example would be to ask your dog to sit. If he does, immediately click, then treat. If your dog doesn't know how to sit, put him in the sitting position, CLICK as soon as his butt is in sit (don't wait for him to 'hold' the sit, it's too soon) and then treat.

This is positive reinforcement training using bridges and secondary reinforcers. If you look up these terms you should get some more info. PM me if you'd like
    Awesome explanation^^^^^^ so all I am going to add is DITTO^^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

There's a gal on YouTube that has an entire video series about clicker training. She's a genius. Kiko or something like that? She's from my area but she's moved to Europe to spread the clicker training gospel or something. Anyway, really fun to watch videos. She has a trio of rescue dogs that do all kinds of things.

Remove Ads