General Question Clicker Training

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I'm thinking about clicker training. Tank is young but I think he could learn more tricks/commands. He's a smart boy and VERY food motivated.

So tell me what I need to know about clicker training. So far I've ordered a clicker....

:D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:bump: I know nothing about clicker training :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
a clicker is nothing more than a bridge. This means it is a sound associated with a reward, a secondary reward. In the beginning, EVERYTIME you click, you should immediately treat. This creates that response of "this noise=food"

The clicker itself is irrelevant, you could just as easily use one word, perhaps "nice" and that word=food. It's difficult for people to do this however, because the word should never be associated out of training context. (So you shouldn't ever tell someone they have nice shoes with your dog around)

An example would be to ask your dog to sit. If he does, immediately click, then treat. If your dog doesn't know how to sit, put him in the sitting position, CLICK as soon as his butt is in sit (don't wait for him to 'hold' the sit, it's too soon) and then treat.

This is positive reinforcement training using bridges and secondary reinforcers. If you look up these terms you should get some more info. PM me if you'd like :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
a clicker is nothing more than a bridge. This means it is a sound associated with a reward, a secondary reward. In the beginning, EVERYTIME you click, you should immediately treat. This creates that response of "this noise=food"

The clicker itself is irrelevant, you could just as easily use one word, perhaps "nice" and that word=food. It's difficult for people to do this however, because the word should never be associated out of training context. (So you shouldn't ever tell someone they have nice shoes with your dog around)

An example would be to ask your dog to sit. If he does, immediately click, then treat. If your dog doesn't know how to sit, put him in the sitting position, CLICK as soon as his butt is in sit (don't wait for him to 'hold' the sit, it's too soon) and then treat.

This is positive reinforcement training using bridges and secondary reinforcers. If you look up these terms you should get some more info. PM me if you'd like :)

Awesome explanation^^^^^^ so all I am going to add is DITTO^^^^^

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There's a gal on YouTube that has an entire video series about clicker training. She's a genius. Kiko or something like that? She's from my area but she's moved to Europe to spread the clicker training gospel or something. Anyway, really fun to watch videos. She has a trio of rescue dogs that do all kinds of things.

Most Reactions