Help Needed! Walking!!!

bttahern

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
piggy
So...here is my issue. The first days we got Piggy he was a champ walking....right around he neighborhood but definitely anxious of cars/trucks. After day two he did not want to go anymore. So...I would pick him up and walk him 50 yards up the street and then he will walk awesome....no pulling...perfect dog. This has continued. Now I started taking him to work and the first couple days werre great...right out the door and out for a good walk. NOW he has gotten into the same pattern as at home....basically have to drag him 50 yards and then he kicks into gear.

Once he gets walking he is awesome and I NEED to walk him a bit so that it works out his craziness(last night I took him on a 30 min walk and he was out like a LIGHT by 8pm).

Is this normal or any thoughts on how to correct? We've had him almost 2 weeks now and it doesnt seem to be getting better.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus was shy in the beginnning as well although he didnt give me issues walking...He gave hubby issues...Right now I would use treats/kibble to encourage him to walk towards you to get him going...I used to bring some bits of Brutus kibble with us to give him as a treat when he was that age...Most puppies are either afraid of the big bad world or just unsure of the surrounding....Others will more advice will be soon to give some input

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Im not much of a behavioralist but it sounds like you haven't quite gotten to be the leader of the pack. He hasnt learned that he is supposed to do whatever you want and follow you no matter what. I hope one of the experts sees this and can help . I'll tag a couple that may be able to help @Vicaroo1000 , [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] .

L

Lucy-licious

no answer here I'm afraid...we got passed this phase by offering treats...now the cheeky madame walks really well from the start but gets to the point where she used to start walking properly after being treated and stops to wait for the coming treat LOL...funny bully.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I am so glad you posted this. I had exactly the same issue with Dublin and it almost drove me insane:yell: I would come back from our so caled walk in tears:cry: Again, in the begining we didnt' have any problems then one day she just wouldn't leave our driveway for her walk, no way, no how. I tried treats, every tone of voice possible and nothing.... I can only speak from my own experience, but the worst thing I did was to "drag" her it just made everything worse and keep in mind that their bones, joints and muscles are very fragile at this age. They might look beefy but they are still growing puppies. Then I did exactly what you did, picked her up and carried her a couple of houses down the block and magically she would walk. She hesitated plenty of times along the way but she always made it. I was thinking to myself " I can't carry this dog when she is 40lb" it was strange to me because she would get out of the car with us anywhere else and just walk no problems... I am no "dog whisperer" but I realized that Dublin was fearful of leaving our driveway. That was a comfort zone for her and she didnt' feel good about leaving it. I do know that dragging her only made matters worse and boy did I feel bad for a very long time for doing that. I continued to carry her out of the driveway but then each time I would put her down sooner until we were only a few feet from the driveway. It took some time for her to leave the driveway and just walk but it happened. Patience and consistency won out in the end. She picked up on my anxiety also which of course didnt' help and maybe she was playing the "top dog" thing with me so I kept that in mind. To this day ( she just turned two yesterday) she will not leave the driveway unless someone is with her. She will sit there and watch everyone and everything. She will use the grass on either side to go potty, then right back to driveway or house. Other than that early issue, she is the most socialble dog you will ever meet. She is invited everywhere and loves being on the boat, in the car and anywhere else. She is a submissive girl, and does have her anxieties. Now we recognize them and know how to deal with them. She had no doubt now that I am the pack leader so I dont' have any of those issues anymore. I had a lot to learn as did Dublin. I'm sure you will get lots more great advice from everyone here. I am speaking from my own experience so hopefully this is helpful to you. Two weeks is a very short time for you all to get to know each other. You are already a wonderful mom because you found this site and want whats best for Piggy ( what a name :ROFL: ) Remember you are the pack leader, but please no more dragging....:begging:

OP
B

bttahern

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
piggy
Thanks for the advice. As for the pack leader thing...he's been here two weeks and listens to me....except for walking! I am trying to work on reward based movement....treats for the first corner etc. BUT I have to have the treat in front of his face to get him moving. Hopefully it passes

OP
B

bttahern

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
piggy
Well....I am trying the treat thing for now and see how that works out. It is obviously some sort of anxiety thing I think....because once he gets past a point he just goes without reservation. Its that first 50-100 yards that are the killer.....

any thoughts are welcome

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well you have some good advice above and trying the treats is what I would try first also. Then the others if that didn't work. Just be consistent and have patience.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
My mom's girl did the same thing. It took a while but treats did the trick (so to speak). Keep it up momma, looks like you know what you are doing :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you have a neighbor with a dog to go on a walk with that would encourage Piggy to walk!

Bea was like this...and I used a variety of strategies to get her little butt moving. Using the neighbor (whom she loves) as bait was one idea - right on [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION].

Bo is very food motivated so treats worked all the time for him.

[MENTION=5011]bttahern[/MENTION] - He's just established this "habit" (behavior) of reluctance at the beginning and snapping him out of it is the key. High value food treats also worked for Bea. Use a high value reward once he's passed the "reluctance zone". Remember you don't have to give them forever -- just until this "habit" is unlearned. And be irregular about giving the treat so its always a surprise -- but he HAS TO earn it by walking the way you want. Does he have a strong prey drive? Pulling a soft toy on a string was another thing that got Bea moving. Walking with another dog helped too.

Remember, lots of praise when he does what you want!

Bea still piddles around on the walk....she's just not the "go get em" walker that Bo is. Taking them on separate walks sometimes works to strengthen the bond me and each dog.

Cyndi

Aug 7, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ (English), CeCe (Frenchie)
My 13 week old bullie boy hates to go for a walk!! I figured maybe it's just too hot (we live in Florida) so one night we went at 8pm and it was great! When I tried to go again at 8pm the next night he wanted nothing to do with it. I have used treats, bringing a toy, having one of my kids walk with us and nothing works. There are no other dogs that we can walk with as part of the pack. I am at the end of my rope, this poor dog needs exercise other than running after the toys in the house! And, I love to walk for exercise, I thought this could be something we could do together. He just likes to do his business and come right back in the house. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
B

bttahern

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
piggy
My problem seems to be getting worse as well! Treats.....move him VERY slowly. and the problem is that last week I could carry him 2 houses down and then he would be fine for a nice long walk. now....he won't go anywhere really. I am trying everything but I dont know what to do/ I have tried bringing the kids which worked great at first but he is having none of it. OTher than that his behavior is imporving(nipping etc) and he is listening

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello everyone,

Walking a dog is not normal for dogs. The normal behavior is to just do what ever they want to do. Right? This is a Bulldog thing.
Changing the behavior is what you are trying to do and it takes time. Be patient and consistent. Like in the movie Contact "small moves Ellie".

One step at a time and one success at a time. Trying to train when you are in a hurry or do not have time to see it through is defeating.

When I have a puppy I start off just walking on the leash IN THE HOUSE FIRST. My puppy are safe in the house, they know the way around and are not scared of anything. This way they don't fear something new at the same time as the noose around the neck. One we have mastered the inside, I will walk out to take out the trash, check the mail, etc. After only a few days or weeks of this, walking anywhere is easier. I also take an adult dog along to "lead" the way.

If you only have one dog this won't work, but a friend or neighbor dog might work?

Remember that ANY trouble spot HAS to be accomplished before moving on. Stop, take as much time as is necessary. Behavioral changes take time.

You can do this!
G'Day~

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We went through this with our pup, too. Home was his comfort zone and that was where he wanted to stay. We started off slow and always took his favorite liver treats. I would use the treats as a distraction to get him going, but never as a motivator when he stopped ~ that would just reinforce unwanted behavior. Instead, I would sweetly encourage him, even get down to his level if needed, to start walking again and only after he was walking would I slip him a treat. Our walks got longer and he would go farther between treats. Now, at 8 month he just gets a treat at the end of his walk, but we keep them short. He just isn't able to take long walks without being winded and would really rather stay home with me on the sofa.

I, on the other hand, love walking and need to walk but don't like leaving the pup alone. My solution is a dog stroller. He LOVES it and so do I! He likes to get out and see things and people but the buggy seems to give him more security and a better view. I'm sure the neighbors all get a good laugh out of it but it works great for me and my pup, so we don't care :) Although he is not getting the benefit from walking, a good stroll still seems to tire him out for a good nights sleep.

Yes, he is spoiled and he knows it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345568495.548206.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345568495.548206.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 53

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online