Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    piggy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Walking!!!

My problem seems to be getting worse as well! Treats.....move him VERY slowly. and the problem is that last week I could carry him 2 houses down and then he would be fine for a nice long walk. now....he won't go anywhere really. I am trying everything but I dont know what to do/ I have tried bringing the kids which worked great at first but he is having none of it. OTher than that his behavior is imporving(nipping etc) and he is listening

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello everyone,

Walking a dog is not normal for dogs. The normal behavior is to just do what ever they want to do. Right? This is a Bulldog thing.
    Changing the behavior is what you are trying to do and it takes time. Be patient and consistent. Like in the movie Contact "small moves Ellie".

One step at a time and one success at a time. Trying to train when you are in a hurry or do not have time to see it through is defeating.

When I have a puppy I start off just walking on the leash IN THE HOUSE FIRST. My puppy are safe in the house, they know the way around and are not scared of anything. This way they don't fear something new at the same time as the noose around the neck. One we have mastered the inside, I will walk out to take out the trash, check the mail, etc. After only a few days or weeks of this, walking anywhere is easier. I also take an adult dog along to "lead" the way.

If you only have one dog this won't work, but a friend or neighbor dog might work?

Remember that ANY trouble spot HAS to be accomplished before moving on. Stop, take as much time as is necessary. Behavioral changes take time.

You can do this!
    G'Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

We went through this with our pup, too. Home was his comfort zone and that was where he wanted to stay. We started off slow and always took his favorite liver treats. I would use the treats as a distraction to get him going, but never as a motivator when he stopped ~ that would just reinforce unwanted behavior. Instead, I would sweetly encourage him, even get down to his level if needed, to start walking again and only after he was walking would I slip him a treat. Our walks got longer and he would go farther between treats. Now, at 8 month he just gets a treat at the end of his walk, but we keep them short. He just isn't able to take long walks without being winded and would really rather stay home with me on the sofa.

I, on the other hand, love walking and need to walk but don't like leaving the pup alone. My solution is a dog stroller. He LOVES it and so do I! He likes to get out and see things and people but the buggy seems to give him more security and a better view. I'm sure the neighbors all get a good laugh out of it but it works great for me and my pup, so we don't care Although he is not getting the benefit from walking, a good stroll still seems to tire him out for a good nights sleep.

Yes, he is spoiled and he knows it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1345568495-548206-jpg  

Bulldog(s) Names
    piggy
    Likes (Received)

Thought I had it. Tied a stuffed animal to a fishing pole and we ripped right around the neighborhood.....and within 12 hrs he figured it out. Back to no leaving the yard at all....feeling completely defeated....he needs the exercise

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads