Other Housebreaking is BREAKING ME ! grrr Hershey is 5 months old !

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Today he went 7.5 hours in his X-pen and no accidents - the wife and I were out running errands and got caught in a horrible storm so our little 3 hour tour turned into 7.5............... we were very happy no accidents.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The training bells was one of the first things I bought when we got our pup. I just hung them on the door handle and ignored them for the first few weeks of training, but he still would hear them when the door was opened. He ALWAYS got a treat after every successful trip, along with lots of praise. After he started getting the idea of pottying outside, then I would take his foot and nudge the bells just as we went outside. At about 4 months, I was in my room getting ready to go someplace when I heard the bells jingle! I was almost as happy as the day my kids first went potty! :) extra treats and praise, of course! He has only had a few accidents after the first few months and when he did, he was scolded and promptly taken outside. There was no doubt that he understood. Now, there are some days when it sounds like Christmas with all the bell ringing. He wants out, then in, then out again.... Many times he just wants me to go out with him (like a child) and then he will go and the bells are quiet for a while. Good luck with your training. I hope some of my tips are helpful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A

Alaskasmom1

Coralando, that post made me smile and get tears in my eyes at the same time...great job! Thanks for sharing.

rblanshan

Sep 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eva
Hi, I have owned a couple bulldogs in the past and my experience is when you are just about to pull out all your hair because of potty training, that's when they get it. Mine always would go stand by the door and wait to be let out. I couldn't get them to ring a bell. I would just have to be aware of the last time they went out & how long it had been since they went out. I own a 2.5 yr. old german shepherd, she paces when she needs to go potty. She just walks in circles around the living room until I let her out. It took me awhile to learn her cues. Point being, at some point it will click....you will pick up on your dogs cues and your dog will start to understand where they need to do their business. I also, by the time they are 5 or 6 months old (basically when they start giving you the look, the "I just pee'd in the house and know you aren't going to like it" look, tell them firmly no, and then put them in their kennel for a time out. I know some people won't agree with this, but by this point, the kennel has become their room and I view it as sending my kid to their room for doing something naughty. By the way, I brought home a 10 week old bulldog puppy home yesterday, thrilled with the puppy....not thrilled with the potty training journey I have ahead of me!

Last edited:

brandi576

Jun 27, 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
chance
maybe i need to look into these bells..chance very rarely pottys in the house but you have to be in the room to know when he wants to go out since he like many others have said just goes and stands at the door..so if im in another room for long periods of time i either have to keep running back and forth to check on him or put him in his crate

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Jenna is like alot of the other dogs...she goes to the door and just stands there...but she can only wait so long she will pee if you don't let her out...so I bought the bells...found them at Walmart for about $10...just a strip with maybe 10 bells and dog prints on the ribbon they have a nice jingle not real loud...anyway i ring them and say outside everytime i take her out....she refuses to ring them on her own...i think she's afraid of them...so we work on it..she does very well as long as I pay attention...plus I also walk her after breakfast and dinner which gets things moving pretty well

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.