Other Housebreaking is BREAKING ME ! grrr Hershey is 5 months old !

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I'm a stay at home Dad right now, but the housebreaking is NOT going real good. I follow a schedule and he does really well... but he will sometimes go out to his potty area, and pee, walk back up to the door, and I let him in, then I catch him 'downloading' 10 minutes later ! I pick him up (30lbs and gaining!) and take him to his spot.

He is USUALLY really good about doing both out in his area, but he hasnt caught on to 'bark' at the door to be let out, or Stand by the door, or anything like that, its like he's playing and, hummm I gotta go...and he does.

We were playing ball this morning, and the ball went under the living room table, out he comes with the ball...and a smell catches my nose.. he downloaded under the table WHILE getting the ball. Its not loose, its well formed (thank god easy to pick up) and its a 'bomb run' start to finish is about a 3 foot area !

I guess I'm just frustrated that he's 5 months old, and still hasnt gotten the potty down. He doesnt go in his Kennel, he will go in his X-pen if we dont watch it..

:wallbang:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oy!!! Try tying him to you with a leash and watching. When he starts to sniff take him out. Also, if he pees and wants to come back in, then maybe go out and throw a ball for him for a few minutes to see if you can get the "juices running" so to speak. Sometimes, it seems to me, activity will trigger them to poop.

Another thing to try is a door bell. I mean the kind you just dangle from the doorknob. Every time you take him out, ring it before you open the door. Then if he rings it, take him out even if he just wants to play! The first time he TOUCHES it, take him out. You want him to get the idea that if he wants out, ringing the bell will cause you to open the door.

You can also try going back to basics with the crate but I think I would go for the above options first and see if he gets it.

Good luck! They are a challenge aren't they?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will be watching this thread.... I have done everything form the scheduling, crate and Betty ([MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]) has suggested and then some.... Chelios, our 16 month old Frenchie.... still will go in the house, pee and poo. We take him out and within minutes of bieing in the apartmetn.. a bomb is dropped. He will not in any way indicate he has to go, he just stops, squats and goes. UGH!!! :yell:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I feel your pain ... I thought Daddy would NEVER stop peeing in his crate. It took a long time to teach him to go out and do it. We realised he would never knock or tap or bark to go out, so we had to just keep watching and see if he was sat there.

But his crate seemed to be his favourite plce to go ..... I would say we finally stopped having to wash his blankets daily when he got to be about 18 months old. But that is not normal ... so dont' worry too much. I'm sure your bully won't take anywhere near as long to "get it" . :yes:

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Another thing to try is a door bell. I mean the kind you just dangle from the doorknob. Every time you take him out, ring it before you open the door. Then if he rings it, take him out even if he just wants to play! The first time he TOUCHES it, take him out. You want him to get the idea that if he wants out, ringing the bell will cause you to open the door.

I really think that is the problem, he doesnt WANT out. We open the door, and he'll go out, and sit on the step, until we go out with him, and 'COME HERSHEY' to the grass, then he'll come down... look at us, and then Pee, he'll almost pee on queue, cause if he only has a little he'll dribble, because he knows that's what's expected. But he just hasnt gotten the system of 'Go OUTSIDE' if I need to potty 'GO OUTSIDE'

One of these days maybe. :p

but thanks for the advice (and sympathy !)

A

Alaskasmom1

The "door bell" suggestion is the trick. Someone on here told me to do that. To this day Alaska jumps up and rings her bell even though I'm already about to open the door :-) I bought two big bells and put them on a ribbon last Christmas just for her.its so cute to watch her ring them.
She just started to "bark" to go out when she was about 1 year old in May of this year.
Its hard to believe but if the dog isn't learning you have to look at the mistake as, "what you did wrong." I say this with a smile. All I can say is, Alaska was going to the door finally, but not telling me she wanted out. She was like, 6 months old. I stalked her( I work from home) and when I would catch her pottying, I would let her know how shameful that was...again I smile... Then, very soon she started coming to me and barking. A lot! Urgently barking. I carried treats in my pocket and when she potted I would give her one. If she didn't do both pee and poop, I would tell her to go potty some more( I kid you not) and she would because she LOVES treats. Grain free treats from Petsmart. Also, when you catch her pottying in the house and you clean it up, take the paper towel outside to the dogs spot where he goes and put it all there. Weigh it down with a rock or something. It will work. Just keep at it and pour pure vinegar on the spot in the house where they go to remove the ferrimone scent that makes them return to the same spot. Use white vinegar. You can mix it with 50% water but I don't. My house smells good too after the vinegar dries. The smell goes away!
I housebroken my three wonderful Boxers years ago and it took two weeks. Bulldogs seem to take more determination because they can be too smart for their own good:-)
I love my Bully's!!!

A

Alaskasmom1

Another tip. If they don't both pee and poop put them in their crate for 20 more min. Then take them out again. Repeat this until they do both. Never hit the dog. That just makes them afraid of you and they also feel like they are in trouble for the act of pooping or peeing. Good Luck!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I really think that is the problem, he doesnt WANT out. We open the door, and he'll go out, and sit on the step, until we go out with him, and 'COME HERSHEY' to the grass, then he'll come down... look at us, and then Pee, he'll almost pee on queue, cause if he only has a little he'll dribble, because he knows that's what's expected. But he just hasnt gotten the system of 'Go OUTSIDE' if I need to potty 'GO OUTSIDE'

One of these days maybe. :p

but thanks for the advice (and sympathy !)

Is he food motivated? Maybe you can use treats/cookies as a reward when he goes out and pees/poops. This means you have to go out with him each time and watch. Praise and treat the minute he goes. Over time, you can reduce the amount of time needed to monitor his progress.

I used to have the problem of Bea and Bo going out for the first bathroom break of the morning and staying out there and goofing around. Playing would turn into barking and we get up early around here. My dogs aren't allowed to bark for no reason! Giving a cookie when they went out , did the business and came right back in resolved the issue. Now it's a habit. More often than not, they still get the treat though. I'm a softie.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Well as usual, LOTS of good advice. It is amazing how many people here have or have had the same problems and what we can all learn from. As with any type of training it is about consistency and patience.

I have one Bullie that seems to "get confused" of when to go inside or when to go outside. With 8 dogs (7 Bullies and 1 Lab) the run for the back door is enough to get them ALL to go outside. 7 our of 8 will P&P within minutes. And with plenty of spots to choose from including on top of the same spot as someone else just did.

But the one girl just wouldn't go. She is 18 mo old now. She would come in and within minutes do a #2 ! What? You were just out?

So for several days I would have to let her in and then watch VERY closely (sneaky of course...) and as SOON as I saw the LoOK in her body, I would put her out. They can't hold it forever and eventually she HAD to go. And then praise again to get her back on track.

It happens. When it happens it is our fault as the human, more so than the dog's fault.

BTW, the bell is a great idea. I will set that up also. See, even an old dog like me can learn new tricks.

Thanks ya'all,

G'Day~

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
BTW, the bell is a great idea. I will set that up also. See, even an old dog like me can learn new tricks.

Thanks ya'all,

G'Day~

I tried to train Bea on the bell as a puppy. My sister had wonderful success with her boxer doing that. Bea was HORRIFIED SCARED of the bell. That was the end of that. ha ha

L

Lucy-licious

I tried to train Bea on the bell as a puppy. My sister had wonderful success with her boxer doing that. Bea was HORRIFIED SCARED of the bell. That was the end of that. ha ha

Both Billy and Lucy were scared of the bell too... Billy at 15 weeks is just starting to do the bully dash for the door when he needs to go pee :D If I leave the door open he will go poo outside on his own but will still pee in the house. I clean up in silence then take him and the dirty kitchen roll outside and give him lots of praise when he does pee outside. He loves being told he's a "goodboy" which seems to be treat enough for both him and Lucy xx

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Both Billy and Lucy were scared of the bell too... Billy at 15 weeks is just starting to do the bully dash for the door when he needs to go pee :D If I leave the door open he will go poo outside on his own but will still pee in the house. I clean up in silence then take him and the dirty kitchen roll outside and give him lots of praise when he does pee outside. He loves being told he's a "goodboy" which seems to be treat enough for both him and Lucy xx

He's doing great! 15 weeks and making a dash for the door? Awesome! Good boy!

L

Lucy-licious

He's doing great! 15 weeks and making a dash for the door? Awesome! Good boy!

Thanks :eek: he's not there yet but is doing so much better than I thought he would. The trick is though [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] to remember that he will get there one day so try not to stress too much, and if you do find yourself getting cross direct it at the mess not at him. :hug: Hershy will get there soon xx

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
I'm so with you on this. My Tess is going on 11 months and we still have accidents. She doesn't bark either at the door but she does stand there and if you wait to long she will go right by the door. So I am really thinking about the bells at the door thing to see if that works. Hang in here😏

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
I just had to pull out my Bissell Spot Bot, if that tells you how our housebreaking is going.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.