Help Needed! A couple of quick questions from a new bully owner!

bttahern

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
piggy
piggy.jpgSo we received our Piggy last week at 9 weeks old. Very cute....very quick to nip/bite(understandable and we are working on this). He is potty trained! a couple of accidents but not too bad.

NOW- he seems pretty alpha to me. I have had an alpha hound before and he was a pain in the neck to break. So- here are the problems I am having with him-

1- Other dogs- I took him to my parents and they have a Golden retriever male. Piggy tried nipping at it and the dog growled and that put piggy in line for the most part. Great. BUT I took him to park and there was a puppy shitzu and Piggy was trying to go AFTER it. There is some aggression in him around other dogs I think. Any thoughts on how to safely socialize him?

2- Aggression/Biting- Ok...so when the hours of 6pm to 10 pm come....thats his witching hours. He is CRAZY. we have a smaller house and three little kids....who love him. BUT he is too rough for them to play with right now. With me at times he gets what I perceive as aggressive(NOW this is based on experience from having an aggressive dog). My question is...how long typically does the play biting stage last if you are working hard to train it out of them? I am working hard to replace hands with a toy etc. The spray bottle actually I think infuriates him.

3- How early can you start working with a one on one trainer with them?

I am very excited to join the forum and workng hard with my new bully!! I've already gotten great information from here for the future.

Thanks!:lol:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:welcome: first of all ....... so so glad that you found us!! :yes:

It sounds as if you are doing all the right things by working with him. I don't know if it would really be considered aggression at such a young age. I do know, after having my fair share of puppies, that some are more the "play hard" type than others.

I would continue to socialize him in the way you are doing now. The more dogs he meets, the more he will realize what is and what is not considered to be acceptable behaviour. The same concept can be used for the play biting. Replacing your hand with a toy seems to be the best way for most members on here.

As for long how it will take ...... that's like saying how long is a piece of string unfortunately. Some puppies catch on really quick, and then you get the bouncy rebellious ones where you end up feeling like ....:wallbang:

Then just when you think everything is settling down, and you finally getting on top of things, they seem to fall back into their naughty mischievous ways again. And I speak from experience with my 10 month old Linus .... who I am very close to sending back to AZ because he is just so naughty right now (@desertskybulldogs) And every time I tell him no, he barks at me or gives me his angelic look!!! :luv:

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Puppies like young children who bite their brother or sister have to be taught just the same. I would suggest you get him into a puppy socialization class so he can be taught how to play. Those classes can be a great way for him to see other people and other puppies and the trainer can help you figure out how to teach him. All puppies are different. IMO I don't think puppies are aggressive but just trying to push the limits and have to be shown the right way. When a puppy bites, close your hand and make a fist. He won't be able to get his mouth to bite because your fist is too big. I always yelp in a loud voice like a littermate would to show him it hurts. Good luck and don't give up on him.
Roanne

OP
B

bttahern

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
piggy
Great advice. I have enrolled in Puppy class/obedience. So I am doing that in a couple of weeks. The hours of 6-10 pm though....MAN....he takes me to the limit

Cyndi

Aug 7, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ (English), CeCe (Frenchie)
We have Champ who is now 12 weeks old. We started him in puppy classes at our local big box pet store at 10 weeks. Going to the store itself and letting him sniff other dogs has helped a lot because it's no one's home territory. He just received his second set of vaccines and plan on taking him to the dog park, that may be something you can do during the 6pm restlessness. I also ordered the video from Cesar Milan, "How to raise the perfect puppy." It has been very helpful as well! Good luck fellow newbie!

Cyndi

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice. I have enrolled in Puppy class/obedience. So I am doing that in a couple of weeks. The hours of 6-10 pm though....MAN....he takes me to the limit

My girl was and still is (6 years old) like this..... 6:00 something goes off and she is fired up. A good 20-30 minute walk settles her down

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online