Help Needed! Bulldog pup teething, growling and biting fingers!

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
My louie is 9 weeks now and boy is he a handful! First of all I've never had a puppy before let alone a bulldog.. I've had labs before but they were already older. Louie is very playful loves to be outside and absolutely loves chewing on... Fingers! X( I bought him chew toys kongs I also give him ice cubs he chews them for awhile then he goes full speed for my fingers or toes! Its to the point that he growls for my fingers.. I constienlty tell him NO! But he is so stubborn very much a bully. I'm really hoping somebody can give me some advice as to what methods to use to get him to stop biting..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have the essentials down... redirect to a toy or bone. Get a spray bottle fill with water and spray him with a firm no and a toy/bone whenever he goes for the fingers or toes... he will eventually get it

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Thanks! I have read that a spray bottle could work so I'm going to defintely try it :) I'm hoping you could give me some pointers? He has really bad tear stains I'm constanly wiping his eyes and I'm just wondering if its the food or is that something I'm gonna have to live with? His eye lids are usually red also.. is that of a concern as well?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Stay on the track of redirecting him with a chew toy and he will eventually get it. He is still a baby and just want to play, but he will learn, just be patient. The tear stains can be from your water, the food he is eating or seasonal allergies. I would give him filtered water and try a food change to see if that helps.

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
I don't think Rufus will ever stop biting/chewing:yell: Humans must taste yummy. As far as chewing other stuff...like air vent deflectors and electrical cords (we decided not to let that one work itself out ;)) we tried apple bitter stuff, and he seems to enjoy the taste-go figure. Tabasco sauce or Cheyenne pepper works.

Good luck

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
We have young kids, so we definately did not want our bully biting. Our kids would take turns feeding him- then they would sit there with their hand in the bowl while he ate. We did not want any issues with him biting while eating. We would also take away his food in the middle of eating, then give it back. The same with toys- no tug of war, and we would always take favourite chew toys, then give them back. Whenever he would try to nibble at the kids, they would stick a toy in his mouth. The kids are only 3 and 5, and this worked great!

AJ Garza

May 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert *RIP Sir Nigel*
Nigel was the same way when we first got him home until he was about 4 months old. After that, he learned that "owwwww' meant pain and would be followed by a little pinch on his neck. Nigel is much better and very rarely gets yelled at for biting.

L

Lucy-licious

redirection wth a toy and hope for the best...Lucy got there soon enough and I'm pretty sure my Billy will too.

Be consistent...yelp when he hurts and redirect him to a toy....hang in there..I promise this is just one of those phases and will pass when he gets his big boy teeth xxx

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
My louie is 9 weeks now and boy is he a handful! First of all I've never had a puppy before let alone a bulldog.. I've had labs before but they were already older. Louie is very playful loves to be outside and absolutely loves chewing on... Fingers! X( I bought him chew toys kongs I also give him ice cubs he chews them for awhile then he goes full speed for my fingers or toes! Its to the point that he growls for my fingers.. I constienlty tell him NO! But he is so stubborn very much a bully. I'm really hoping somebody can give me some advice as to what methods to use to get him to stop biting..
I also have this problem with my 7 WK old Chevy and his little teeth r like razors that hurt so bad I have tried time outs which I don't like doing at all I have tried trading my fingers arms toes for toys telling him no and I have tried yelping to let him know it hurts that I have tried praising him every sec when he is not biteing chewing on me nothing seems to work I have even tried treats and he does OK while they r out but once I put them up he goes right back to chewing on me I have even put treats in my pocket and carrying them around so he doest associate rewards with the treat bag I don't know what else to do any ideas

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.