Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hey guys and gals!

We are living with my wife's parents right now while my wife finishes school... and they have an 11 year old schnauzer. The schnauzer is pretty mellow, does her own thing and is old so she sleeps a lot. Well, lola, being the young dog she is wants to play with her and rough house with her, but we really can't let her or the schnauzer will go into seizure from the stress.... what can we do to keep her away from her? They do have to be in the same room but is there a better way to socialize them so they don't have to fight all the time? How do I teach them to be civil?

Sent from my cell phone.... please disregard any spelling errors. Thank you. :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I don't really have any advice really. There are some here that will be able to help I am sure. I wanted to bump this up.

I am confused though. You say Lola wants to play but then you said she was being aggressive. Is it play or fighting?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was going to ask the same as gatorray... Are you sure it's fighting?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

SENSEI

Aug 4, 2012
Coachella Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella & Tyke the Frenchie
If she is young she may just play roughly. I would think to monitor her carb intake and walk her frequently, if possible in the summer heat. I my thoughts...

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I would keep the puppy on a leash just let her run around with it an when she starts to go over or look at the other dog just give it a little tug to distract her soon she will learn to leave her alone my female will not play inside with my puppy I don't know why I like it but I don't know why but as soon as there outside It's balls to the wall.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good ideas here. I'd suggest a combo platter of sorts.

1) Exercise the puppy - body and mind.
2) Disagree with and redirect when the puppy bothers the older dog - a leash for control is a great idea.

The rambunctiousness of a puppy isn't fair to plop onto a senior dog - yet they do have to learn to exist in the same space. I would be VERY SPECIFIC with your disagreeing with the behavior and redirects. Think of it from a pup's point of view and be sure that the desired behavior is rewarded.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online