General Question Leave it!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We are trying to teach Tonka "leave it" and it is not going well... Does anyone have any tips for teaching this? Also, Tonka is super food crazy (shocker, I know) which works great for training, but not so great when food is what you are trying to get him to leave. He is not food agressive at all though. Any ideas?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How are you teaching him? Stomping foot loudly on floor with a firm 'leave it'?

OP
TonkaTruck28

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
We have been doing it with a leash on and when he pulls to something we jut provide resistance( do not yank away) and say leave it! When he looks away or lets slack up we give a treat

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have been doing it with a leash on and when he pulls to something we jut provide resistance( do not yank away) and say leave it! When he looks away or lets slack up we give a treat

try this way and see if it helps.... Stomping foot loudly on floor with a firm 'leave it' and treat him if he does as you say

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We just taught Aubie this. We would set something on the floor and tell her to leave it. When she moved toward it, we pushed her back and made her sit, telling her to leave it again. It took a lot of work, but she eventually got it.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We just taught Aubie this. We would set something on the floor and tell her to leave it. When she moved toward it, we pushed her back and made her sit, telling her to leave it again. It took a lot of work, but she eventually got it.

That's how we taught Pan. It even works with food now. But it took a few dozen tries for him to get it. But now I can sit a treat on the floor and tell him to leave it and he'll sit for awhile and eventually walk away from it. He's such a good baby!

L

Lucy-licious

It took ages for Lucy to get Leave it....she just wanted the treat. In the end we did a Sit, Down then Leave It and she started to understand that she needed to stay there otherwise the treat would be removed quicker than she stood up :D

Now when we say Leave It at meal times etc...she just lays down all bored like and waits for the ok :love:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

I like what you're doing. As you continue you can raise the stakes and provide even better treats! My dogs don't do "leave it" well at all - and it's mostly because I am not consistent. Bea has to investigate EVERYTHING and it's so funny to watch her do it. ha ha ha Bo on the other hand, does tend to put things in his mouth (part of his puppyness, I'm sure) so I watch him more closely, but their crappy leave it skills are absolutely my fault.

I had an Afghan Hound named Sammy who seriously, would "leave it" for HOURS if required. Steak or whatever. She was just so good at that. Fact is, I was a better trainer with her. I let these two slide a LOT. ha ha ha

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Bruin first learned leave it in puppy class. The trainer had us start out with a treat on the floor (letting him see us put it there) and put our foot over it. He would obviously go to sniff for it and that's when we would say 'leave it' and if/when he looked up at us we would give him a treat. A totally different treat than the one on the floor, in no circumstance could he have that treat that was on the floor. After the first session he got the hang of it and to this day if we say 'leave it' he'll leave it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.