Help Needed! Separation anxiety

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have had Lola for two weeks now and she is having horrible anxiety whenever I leave her side! She wasnt like this when I picked her up so it must be something Im doing. When she takes a nap she is always next to me either sleeping on the couch or on her bed that I put on the couch, If she feels me get up or hears me walking away she wakes up right away starts whining and barking tell I come back. Also at night she sleeps next to me on the floor in her crate, when I put her in it she never whines and settles right in but if I walk away to go potty all hell breaks loose and she barks so loud I think people can hear her blocks away. When I return from going potty or whatever I may be doing then she lays back down right away and as long as she can see me she settles right in and no more barking or whining. We live in a two story house and my kids sleep on the upper level, she barks so loud it wakes them up in the middle of the night then I have kids to get back in bed. What can I do to make this stop? It doesnt bother me as bad as it makes me feel horrible for the kids and my hubby that she wakes up. During the day since she is a puppy she sleeps a lot and because of this Im not getting much done around the house because she cries the whole time and will either sit on the couch barking and whining tell I come back or follow me barking tell I sit down and she gets comfy again. Who knew a 8 week old puppy could be this smart! What can I do to let her know that she is ok and safe so she wont act like this anymore?

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
I am no expert (we only got Seamus 3.5 weeks ago) but I would say that by you going back to her every time she whines and barks you are reinforcing the behavior. She knows now that if she whines or barks that you will come back so she keeps doing it. Our dog walker and trainer said that we should start putting Seamus in his crate for a little bit each day, even when we are home, so he doesn't start getting separation anxiety. That way its not 100% on when we are home and then 100% off when we are gone. When we are home if we have something we have to do and can't watch him fully then I put him in his crate for a little bit. He does fine, no whining or crying. Then when I am done I take him out, go potty and then he can hang out with us. By putting him in his crate even when we are home he understands that its okay to be separated from us for a little bit and that we are going to come back. I won't take him out if he is crying or whining (unless I am positive its because he has to go to the bathroom). Hope it helps! Good luck with your training!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good advice above! I agree completely!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I will try that then. I hope it helps she pulled her same trick last night or I should say at 5 this morning and I wouldnt get her out of her crate. It was after I took her out and she wanted to bark while I got back in bed and tried to settle back in. I let her cry and told her stern "no" and eventually she calmed down and went back to sleep. I will try putting her in her crate for a while today while I clean and get ready for company and see how it goes. Thanks everyone!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am no expert (we only got Seamus 3.5 weeks ago) but I would say that by you going back to her every time she whines and barks you are reinforcing the behavior. She knows now that if she whines or barks that you will come back so she keeps doing it. Our dog walker and trainer said that we should start putting Seamus in his crate for a little bit each day, even when we are home, so he doesn't start getting separation anxiety. That way its not 100% on when we are home and then 100% off when we are gone. When we are home if we have something we have to do and can't watch him fully then I put him in his crate for a little bit. He does fine, no whining or crying. Then when I am done I take him out, go potty and then he can hang out with us. By putting him in his crate even when we are home he understands that its okay to be separated from us for a little bit and that we are going to come back. I won't take him out if he is crying or whining (unless I am positive its because he has to go to the bathroom). Hope it helps! Good luck with your training!

Great advice

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
...great advice...and use your firm "pack leader" energy while you ignore unstable behavior. She knows when you are feeling sorry for her - dogs are intuitive!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I agree with the advice, also dont make a big deal out of it while she whines and barks, just ignore and try not to look at her. Best of luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.