Our new puppy keeps biting me

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Is this normal? We've never had another puppy that would bite all the time like this one. We keep telling him no and handing him a chew toy but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie Mae bites a good bit, but has improved over the past couple of weeks. Now, most of her biting that hurts, is while in play. When playing and she bites, we end the play session and she goes for a time out in her crate. We've also used vinegar in a spray bottle when her biting seemed to be more frequent and not associated to playing. Just keep working with the little guy....patience, consistency, and repetition.....things will improve.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Soooooo normal!!! Bullies are really mouthy and can be very rough in play. His littermates didn't feel his teeth as much as you do. What worked for us with both of our pups was to make a noise (I use kind of a gravely sound) and immediately stop what you are doing. Remove him from the situation or yourself until he calms. I don't use the crate for punishment because I wanted ours to feel it was their "room" and a safehaven when they wanted to sleep or get away from it all. I basically would just kind of move mine over, make the sound and completely ignore them. Once they have calmed a bit (can be a few seconds or a few minutes) then I would resume play. Repeat if it happens again. It will take some time and you being very consistent as well as stopping him immediately so he understands that it is the biting that is causing you to withdraw.

Puppies are so wonderful and soon his puppyhood will be over. Enjoy it while you can!

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
I have the same issue with Kaida. She won't do this to anyone but me...
I've told her no and tried to redirect her with toys, but that doesn't work - that girl has a one track mind sometimes! Will try the ignore / remove method instead to see how that works. It's getting exhausting trying to get her to stop when the bitey bug bites her!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
When Zoey gets nippy, I have an empty soda can with a few pennies in it that I shake at her. She quit this in no time!

Winslow

Aug 6, 2012
San Diego
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
When Zoey gets nippy, I have an empty soda can with a few pennies in it that I shake at her. She quit this in no time!

I have been doing the can of coins too with Winslow, and it seemed to work!!!! Either that, or the weeks of 5 other methods all adding up along with "NO" (spray bottle, coins, replacement toy, "shunning" him etc) and he is finally getting the picture hehe. Its funny because we tried the spray bottle of water, and then after a while he became immune to it and would stop biting if he saw us reaching for the bottle. We switched to the cans...same thing, all i have to do is act like i'm reaching for the can and he instantly stops. silly puppies. :nonono:

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Do like the litter mates do when they get bit too hard....Yelp in a high pitched voice! They get the point very quickly!

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Meatball was very mouthy puppy but out grew it by one year old. We did high pitch yelp when it was to much.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do like the litter mates do when they get bit too hard....Yelp in a high pitched voice! They get the point very quickly!

This is what I do it works!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
That sounds pretty normal. It's a phase and doesn't mean you'll have a "biting" dog. I agree with others about making a yelping sound. We did that combined with quickly turning our backs (aka "shunning"). We also kept her away from small kids when they visited. Seems like ages ago!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: you have to yelp really loud when he bite that's what I'm doing an It's working great he hardly bites me sometimes when he gets excited he does but I just yelp and if he keeps doing it I stop playing with him for 30 seconds or so then we start all over again you just have to make it consistent an it should work good luck.

OP
Mountainlover

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We made a can with pennies in it. Whenever he bites we shake the can and then he looks at it and growls. (Not a mean growl) Is that how your dog reacts to this?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.