Agression and Peeing

metalfab14

Dec 16, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
we have a year old english bulldog...he has been a very good dog until recently, he has started to attack my girlfriend when Im not in the room and has started to climb on the couch and pee on it.....he has never done that before...he was trained the second week we had him and has never gone in hte house...he has been very defiantly and just won't listen ..we recently had his tail removed because it was causing him health issues and were not sure that may be the problem any help would be appricated

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi [MENTION=3911]metalfab14[/MENTION] I moved your post into it's own topic so it won't get missed!

Sounds like there may be some alpha dominance issues here. I will tag some members who are great with behavioral issues and hopefully they can help!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is getting to be a defiant teenager. You and her both need to let him know this behavior is not acceptable. Do not let him on the couch any longer until he gets out of this phase. I would let her feed him and only give him his food when he will sit and stay seated for her. Let her take him for walks and she goes through the door first. He will soon learn she is above him in the pecking order.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
He is getting to be a defiant teenager. You and her both need to let him know this behavior is not acceptable. Do not let him on the couch any longer until he gets out of this phase. I would let her feed him and only give him his food when he will sit and stay seated for her. Let her take him for walks and she goes through the door first. He will soon learn she is above him in the pecking order.

Well said!!! Renzo WILL NOT go through the door until every adult and every skin and fur kid has already entered, he literally sits there and waits, we can't even encourage him to go in first. The only one he wont wait for is the cat, I guess bullies are above cats in the pecking order.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

Well said David , what he said should fix your problems,

I have just a couple of silly questions ,how long have you had your girlfriend? and is it around the same time you had his tail removed? and one more....... Is he neutered?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I totally agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], we have always had kind of the same views on raising our bullies :). I would like to add two things to what David said. Try having your girlfriend feed him his dinner by hand, a few pieces at a time. Ideally, she would give him a command and when he performs, she can give him some food. This is how I taught our bullies that my daughters were in charge and it stopped all of the dominant behavior towards the girls. Have her do it several times.

At the beginning, I also forced them to wait for everyone to come in to the door before he is allowed in. I agree that he should not be allowed on the sofa until you or your girlfriend invite him up. You might just keep him off for a few weeks to discourage the peeing.

Good luck! I am sure he is just pushing his boundries and you will be able to get him back with the program.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good stuff here. These leadership exercises should absolutely help him understand his place in your pack. Disagree with behavior you don't want -- but don't go overboard with "good boys" when you see behaviors you do want. If you aren't disagreeing with something he's doing; he knows you are digging his good behavior.

Conversely, it should be said that yelling, swatting, hitting, shaming and "time outs", will NOT work and in many cases, do exactly the opposite of the behavior you are going to modify. He'll just get more sneaky in marking the couch.

For the time being, I would keep him completely OFF the couch. Clearly, it's a trigger for him and - even more importantly - a valued priviledge. Later on -- way later on -- you can reward him with couch time! But he's gotta earn it first. Google "Nothing In Life Is Free" for more ideas on leadership exercises you can practice with your pup. Dogs want to know their place in your pack and relieving them of the "leadership" role will actually be a relief for the dog.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Conversely, it should be said that yelling, swatting, hitting, shaming and "time outs", will NOT work and in many cases, do exactly the opposite of the behavior you are going to modify. He'll just get more sneaky in marking the couch.

For the time being, I would keep him completely OFF the couch. Clearly, it's a trigger for him and - even more importantly - a valued priviledge. Later on -- way later on -- you can reward him with couch time! But he's gotta earn it first. Google "Nothing In Life Is Free" for more ideas on leadership exercises you can practice with your pup. Dogs want to know their place in your pack and relieving them of the "leadership" role will actually be a relief for the dog.

Spot on in my experience! I do use a loud noise if they are somewhere that I can't get to them quickly. I feel they have to know it is wrong right when they are doing it, not 30 seconds later. I say a loud NO, clap or make a gravely noise with my voice. I don't scream or yell, etc....that is pointless.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.