URGENT!!! How to prevent peeing in the crate?

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Snowy's almost a year old now, i didn't start the crate training till about 2 months ago, a little late i know. Every morning when I wake up i open her crate and let her go outside, she usually pees and poops within 10 minutes or so. But at night is where the trouble begins, Usually about a hour or so before i Put her away I always leave the door to the outside open so shes welcome to go outside anytime to pee or poop, but a couple times now Ill put her in her crate, and shell pee within 5 minutes.. and she knows she doing something wrong because she puts on her sad face and looks away.. I just dont understand, I leave the door open for her but she refuses to go, thank god she doesnt poop in her crate but peeing is another story. And if she pees she basically has to sleep in it too, which most dogs wouldnt pee where they sleep. I need some advice or tips here :( I do give her treats all the time when she goes pee outside.

jessport

Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
I know I am new to the forum, but does she have blankets or a bed in her crate? Training daisy in her crate, we had to keep blankets and beds out of it. She wont lay down in her own mess so this prevents her from peeing in her crate. Hope this helps! :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Blankets or a bed is often the cuplrit. I don't know what it is but many bullies pee on their their bedding. I removed the bedding from the crates during crate training. I have been able to add them back but it has taken a year to get to that point with them. Gypsy will still occasionally pee on her bedding.

Good luck!

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Yeah she does have blankets in her crate, back when she was a puppy she would occasionally pee on my bed sheets as well. I have her in a pretty big crate along with a hard plastic dog Pod inside the crate. Shes basically always in the pod. I put blankets so it makes it more comfortable.. but if i have to remove them so she stops peeing i will try that until she learns. Im just scared that shes too old now and too late for her to learn!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Don't worry, it is never too late for her to learn :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's never too late to train. They do like to pee on their bedding for some reason, maybe to mark it. Not sure. But try taking it out and see if that does the trick.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Every time I tried getting Bruin & Lilly a bed, Lilly would pee on it within 30 seconds...so I just gave up. I'm sure she would still do it and she's 2.5 y/o. The carpet will have to do.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
We've already had to get rid of two beds due to Bully Pee

Why get rid of it? because the smell of the stain and the urine remains?

Thanks for the help guys hopefully she learns soon

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Likely she is marking her bed to say it's mine. The only solution is to remove the bedding. You can try again in a couple months but it may not help.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Well last night I found her "sweet spot"

I guess she likes to pee in the same area (outside in my front yard (dirt/grass area) ) All of yesterday and the day before she seemed to only pee in that spot, so last night before bed I walked her over there to that same spot and she instantly Peed/Pooped :)

I have a dog pad right outside my door but it seems as if she really prefers to go in the dirt/grassy area.. I know this because I will leave her next to the dog pad for about 20 minutes and she wont do anything, then when i walk her over to her "sweet spot" she goes almost instantly, she still does go on the Pad but not as much as I would like her to

I have a large front yard and her "sweet spot" is quite a walk from my room so its sort of a hassle to get up everytime and walk her to that spot just so she can go potty, especially since the Dog pads are right next to my door and before she always went on there until she discovered dirt/grass (she barely got to go outside before). But i guess if thats what really makes her go potty that will just do!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online