Help Needed! He is making me crazy!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
We are already totally in love with this big guy but he has a habit that is driving me absolutely insane! He licks me constantly. He won't stop. I correct him, he stops for about a second and a half then starts again. My arms and legs are wet all day long :bitching:

How can I make this stop :pouting:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn did this a lot when I first got him. In fact, he still does it now, but not as excessively. I think he's got OCD though b/c he will lick bedsheets too until they are soaked. I just say a firm "NO", and redirect his mouth to a toy. Something else you can try is spraying bitter apple on yourself. I haven't done that but it might work.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Wellllllllllllllllllll he could be humping you...:ROFL:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He just loves you mama. Just keep telling him no and he will settle down after awhile. Buddy does this sometimes too.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Dolly's my lick'ie one...huh. After a firm no she quit's ,, we've had lot's of practice. At night time she always tries to sneak in a good night kiss. only after she's kissed on everyone else though. jeesh:p

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gypsy was AWEFUL and not just us but the furniture too. I figured out that it is lotion! She loves it. lol.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Gypsy was AWEFUL and not just us but the furniture too. I figured out that it is lotion! She loves it. lol.
OMG It is nice to see you back here. It's been ages! I've always enjoyed your posts.

As for the licking....Bo does this -- only it's with the rug by my computer or the carpet near the couch - no where else. I disagree with the behavior because it does leave a giant slobbery dog wet spot. Plus, I fear that if he gets away with it one place, he'll graduate to other surfaces. ha ha

In the beginning, I disagreed and then distracted him with a Nylabone (something he could sink his teeth into). Now, I just disagree and he stops. The good news? He will start up doing this less and less. I think it's an OCD behavior for sure.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah does not do this but one of my bostons is lick crazy. he will lick you for ages and peel the skin off you. you could always paint yourself in vinegar. :) id say what the the other have said. just reinforce that this is not behaviour that is good. id say he will understand after a bit.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is a Licker....

It was also suggested in a thread here some time back, that it could be heart burn related. We have found that giving her a tums seems to curb the night time licking a lot. but it doesn't stop the part that's a combination of OCD and allergy. We noticed increased paw licking recently when we tried a food switch that wasn't tolerated.

She also sneaks in the occasional :heart: licks.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas can get into the OCD licking too, I have found if I divert his attention (toy, play or treat) he will stop.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
OMG It is nice to see you back here. It's been ages! I've always enjoyed your posts.

As for the licking....Bo does this -- only it's with the rug by my computer or the carpet near the couch - no where else. I disagree with the behavior because it does leave a giant slobbery dog wet spot. Plus, I fear that if he gets away with it one place, he'll graduate to other surfaces. ha ha

In the beginning, I disagreed and then distracted him with a Nylabone (something he could sink his teeth into). Now, I just disagree and he stops. The good news? He will start up doing this less and less. I think it's an OCD behavior for sure.

That is so sweet, thank you! I am happy to be back with a real computer all for me! YAY! It has been hard to not be able to visit. My phone just didn't cut it. lol

Gypsy just stopped doing it. Don't know why. But I do think it is some sort of weird bulldog thing. Sure, other dogs might do it but they seem to be repeat offenders. lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.