Help Needed! I think i am loosing it :(

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
I am not sure where to start from.. the past two days has been rough ! :(

Crate training is going pretty well ! I am waking up every 2 hours in the night and going home every 2 hours in the morning and making sure she is not peeing. When it comes to pooping she only likes to go outside, feel the grass. which is good ! BUT the biting is making me go NUTS!!

First day when we went and picked her up, she liked to bite us. not biting but i think she has too much of the teething problem so she was trying to chew on our fingers. She was also pretty aggressive, like she was all amped up happy! I liked that in her and choose this pup! Now i am scared of the exact same thing:(

Its been 8 days now .. she dosent respond when i call her by her name, Which i am thinking is normal coz she is too small. But she does not respond to NO,NOOOO or any kind of NO :) which is pissing me off !!

when ever I try to rub on her forehead or ears she will just move her around and try to get my hand in her mouth. I tried to give her my hand an see what she does and she just puts my hand and gently tries to chew on it, so she can get some releif from itching in her mouth. Since i am hearing thats not a good habit. I tried telling her NO, which didnt and never worked, and then I tried time outs soo many times (putting her on her belly and rubbing on her chest) and still didnt work. she will walk away from me for about 5 minutes and then she starts to put my hand in her mouth again.

Please HELP!

Naveen.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Everytime she goes to bite you, try giving her a toy instead. Also, get a whole bunch of little treats and every time you say her name and she looks at you, give her a treat....but only when she looks at you.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Oh yes, puppies do like to chew don't they! Believe me, it does get better. But for now, you just need to be patient and consistent until she learns that her humans are not chew toys. In addition to telling her no when she bites, you should redirect her attention to one of her chew toys that is appropriate for her to chew on. Different pups prefer different toys, but for us Kongs, nylabones, and antlers work well. Also, when Rook was a puppy and teething I would soak a washcloth in water, wring it out, and put it in the freezer for a few hours so Rook would have a frozen washcloth "stick" to chew on... It made his sore teething gums happy!
good luck! I'm sure others will have more great advice for you too!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
The wash cloth is a wonderful idea! I need to use to remember to do that!

OP
S

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Thanks for the suggestions .. i think i need to buy more of the frozen Kong toys and when she tries to put my hand in her mouth is it ok for me to do time outs ? and she whines when i do time outs for a little longer is that normal ?

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Ulysses was exactly like this at the beginning :blink: when he was a little puppy I realized that giving him something cold to bite in would calm him and help his swollen gums from the teething process. I would let him lick a little ice and try to rub it carefully around his gums, which were extremely hot and he used to love that. The biting, rather nipping, of hands and feet was terrible at the beginning, and I was also SO frustrated and upset about it, which I came to realize just made everything worst. The key to success is to be very patient and specially PERSISTENT with what you wanna teach them, because bullies are extremely persistent with their little annoying habits so you gotta step it up and be so even more. So what I do is I tell him NO! or AH AH! in a very strong tone when he does something I don't like, like the nipping thing or sometimes excessive licking. But exactly the same way and word every single time, then I remove my hand/feet and ignore him for a couple of seconds. When he finally calms down I pet him and if he does it again, the whole process starts again, until the point he realizes it's really not gonna go his way so he finally gives up. But believe me it takes a good couple of times for him to give up, sometimes I just feel like I'm just getting more and more upset, specially when he doesn't let go off my toes, so I just walk away and ignore him for a while, since he hates to be alone he finally follows me wherever I went and starts licking my legs, then I now he understood. :jumpdance:

Ulysses sometimes does the same thing: try to bite my hand when I touch his forehead or face, I have come to believe there is times when he just doesn't feel like being touched... I now it sounds funny but we all have those moments right? and Bullies are more human than anything else as you will realize :lmao::bully:. So when he does it I try to leave him alone and he will eventually come to me and show me some love :heart: :lmao:.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I know exactly how you feel, and I would've love some guidance back then, unfortunately I didn't have EBN yet so had to learn by doing.

Oh I forgot, the thing about putting her on her back also didn't work for me,,, he thinks I'm just playing, which is the exact opposite, he would actually get worst and scratch me all over with his nails....so I stopped doing it. Rewarding him with cheese for something good and a NO! or AH AH! plus ignoring has worked great for me.

Good luck with your new girl!! you will love her like nobody's business and she will become your favorite baby girl in no time.... just give it a couple weeks, and remember lots of :heart: and Persistence!!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well pups will bite and love to bite, just be patient with her and redirect with a chew toy. The frozen Kongs will be good also. Time outs are fine and if you use her crate make sure not to use it to punish or she will think when she gets put in there she is in trouble. If you use it for a time out put her in there and give a treat and chew toy and praise her. Just be patient, you will get there, and she will eventually learn the word "NO".

Last edited:

Happy_Pantz

Apr 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertrude, Elmer and Edgar
I am a totally treat reward person. Our Edgar use to never respond to his name but loves food so that is how I got him training plus he loves to chew and nip... The whole coming when called worked for us once I put him on a leash and then had him sit next to me and once he did I would walk alittle and make him sit again over and over for up to 10 minutes.. Then did the whole sit and stay while on a lease and called him to me all the time rewarding him for coming. I avoid the word NO at all cost. I would always just redirect him with either a bone or wet frozen rag or a kong with something in it... I wish you all the luck puppies are a love him some have sharp teeth :tease:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..as David said..the biting is part of the puppy stuff..it's something we ALL deal with. In our case, Jake used our poor Dena Dog as a big chew toy. We did say no and redirected him ...but basically he outgrow it! Now..the not listening?? Also part of having a Bully. Eventually they will listen better but Jake is 18 months and I can literally see him thinking whether or not he WANTS to come. I've had to drag his rear where I expect it to be..many times. Also..she should be able to hold it 3 hours at 2 months...good luck...it gets easier...SORT OF! :eek:

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Sounds alot like Kain as he was growing up. We would just approach him with our hand to pet him and he would try bite at it, not a forceful bite but enough to hurt of course.
Good news is your dealing with regular puppy issues so it's all addressable for sure <smile>

- What we did with Kain is 'every' attempt to bite or nibble on our hand resulted in a quick "Shhhttt" and a small quick finger poke to the back of the front leg / rib area similar to Ceasar Milan's methods.
- Keep the name simple and one word so he learns it, don't use nick names and longer names etc
- When you say "No" keep it at that don't string it out like "Nnnooooo" short, sweet and to the point.
* Do this with everything, I still work on my wife with this. We taught the word "Back" if he comes in the kitchen area etc, she says "Get Back", "Kain Back Up" etc etc... just a simple "Back" is what you want to use for no confusion
* For your training focus on those words consistently also Back, Down, Leave It, Sit, Stay, you get the idea

Lastly, the number one thing you and your family can do while working with her is Positive, CALM, Assertive energy. If you are "pissed off" lol, please step away a sec, breathe, relax, remember how much you wanted your little cute bulldog and then try again in a mindset that you know she will listen, you will correct her positively, and then move on.

Remember dogs live in the now so don't think she is continuing from yesterday, or remembers you were mad at her etc. Every moment is a new moment, right after a solid correction you can move on to something else trust me she won't hold a grudge :)

Good Luck! Stay Calm and assertive, only reward submissive behavior also, I noticed you said she was excited etc when you got her, never feed or reward this state.
Wait for ears back, calm, relaxed states before reward or acknowledgments. When you walk in the house, ignore the dog completely until she is in this state then say "hello" don't create the excitement moments you won't want later.

Hope some of this helps, I'm just babbling now and Kain fell asleep on my feet <lol>

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help with the puppy biting but no meant nothing when we got cutty at 9 months either. I learned the loud sound of "eh" is what worked almost instantly with him. He was trying to take showers with me like a mad pup and until i made that sound he didn't stop. Hand I'm there, the advice thou got already us fabulous. Just like having a little baby i am sure it us beyond exhausting. It will pass and you will be onto the next phase which i am sure will be just as fun. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can not add to this , as I would just be repeating all the wonderful advice that you have already been given.

Puppies can be so frustrating at times!!! Just stick with it, breathe deep, count to 10 ... then look at that wonderful smushy face and fall in love all over again!! :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When pups are with their littermates they bite and bite each other to insane levels. What stops them is when the puppy yelps and has had enough. So watching them play I have learned to use the same method when I hold them. I do let them chew a bit, and when they bite too hard I yelp. Most of them will stop, it really depends on the pup. They don't want to hurt you, because they love you. If I yelp and then push them away, give them something they CAN chew on, and they get the picture pretty quick. Some are fast learners, it only takes one time. Others take many of this repeat process until they get it.

With all the suggested methods above, consistency is the key. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
S

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Thanks a lot for all the responses. I will be patient .. :) [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] she is not able hold it for more than 1.5 hours sometimes.. you think thats a problem ?

Naveen.

Most Reactions