Help Needed! Sooo many questions to ask !! :)

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
HI All,

we just adopted a 81/2 weeks old beatiful English Bulldog Puppy ! She is doing good !! and she is very hyper and happy when she is playing !! :)

We have never had English Bulldog and never trained a pup. We started her training as soon as she came home and I have been doing a lot of reading, but i still have soo many questions on some basic stuff ! :) so please dont be pissed off at me for all the stupid questions i m going to ask..

1. We have a huge back yard. Its almost like a park :) Can i let PAARO in the grass ? I am already letting her out, (she likes to go potty there) but I want to make sure its ok. because she only had 2 shots untill now and she tries to put what ever she finds in her mouth. And she like to put her belly up and scratch her back to the grass..is that normal? is she playing?

2. Water: Some are saying that water should be left in the crate all the time, and few are saying that they only give water when ever they feed the pup.. Which is the right way? and how much water should a pup this age drink? I think PAARO drinks a lot of water.. is that OK. When they say leave water all the time .. does that mean even through the night ?

3. Crate: I have a crate that is comfortable size for the pup (I think) 30L*21W*24H is that too big? I left the crate by my bed near a A/C vent, and i have my A/C temperature set at 69F is that appropriate temperature for a English bulldog pup (it gets colder coz her crate is right by the blower)? And i took her bed off the crate as she has had a lot of pee accidents in the crate.. is that ok?

I know i have asked a lot already .. sorry for such lengthy description.. would really appreciate any help..

Thanks in advance !
Naveen.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
1. if your back yard is fenced then it should be okay for her (no other critter able to come in and leave "deposits"). No public parks/places or contact with other dogs until she has had all of her shots (16 weeks or so).

2. I left water out all the time for my boys and still do. At night they never had water available in their crate, but if they stopped to get a drink coming in from going potty then that was okay.

3. Crate size is good and as for the bed being removed, I had to do that too, but I would leave some towels or blankets that are easy to just throw in the w/d in case she gets a little cold. My dogs were never snugglers under blankets but they like to wad them up and sleep on them that way.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..aren't you just full of questions! :ROFL: Let's see....
your yard...should be fine as long as its fenced and secure from other critters!..yes! They try to eat everything! :cursing: and sad to say..Jake still hoovers constantly! ...(that's how he sucked up 3 bees)...just get used to watching like a hawk and pulling everything out of their mouth..:yes: EVERYTHING !

Water: I have water down all the time. When we were crate training him..I did not put water in his crate. It's so small anyway he would've spilled it turning around! He drinks a ton of water..sometimes I have to remind him..he has to share with the other furry family members!

Crate: use one that is ONLY big enough so she can turn around..any extra room and they will go potty. But they don't want to go where they sleep..so maybe your crate is too big. Get one that expands with a divider that can be moved. If she is having a lot of accidents..something isn't working! Take her out more..they can only hold it appx 4-5 hours at 8 weeks.

Temperature seems fine..don't think her crate needs to be next to the vent if the room is 69! :D

Now....you are doing so well and came to the right place! Looking forward to watching her grow! :clap:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like you got all the advice you need above. I would add to set your alarm for potty during the night and she will get used to holding it, it may take some time :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
S

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Thanks a lot for the responses guys ! really appreciate it. Training is going well !.. but she will not stop peeing in the crate and house. :) She dosent give me any indication either like shouting etc.. Hoping this will change.
I am giving her Royal Canin baby food right now, but i am also looking to buy something to treat her.. can you guys suggest me something your Puppy used to like or likes? i want to treat her when she does good work.

Thanks again!
Naveen.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hi there!
Rook wouldn't give us any indication either. I just paid attention to the clock, even setting an alarm sometimes, so that I would remember to take him out every few hours. He's 11 months now, and just recently started indicating he needed to go out by sitting near the door.
For treats, we used either some of his kibble for a reward or frozen green beans. He is very food motivated, so he doesn't really care what the reward is as long as its something he can eat. But he absolutely LOVES frozen green beans, and they are a healthy option too!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She will pee in her crate for a while until she gets older and can hold it longer. Just remember, every few hours take her out to pee, after she plays, take her out, after she eats take her out. It just takes time and plenty of patience on your part. They will learn eventually. I leave water down for mine 24/7. Also is your crate a wire crate? These are the best for bullies as the plastic ones they can get hot in. I would keep a blanket in there for her because at 69 deg. that to me is too cool for a pup that age. She may get cold at night. Got to keep that baby warm. I always say when they go potty in the house, it's not their fault, but our fault for not taking them out enough. Good luck with the new pup and just be patient with her, she will get it one day. Plus they do love to play and bite and put everything in their mouth, so you have to constantly be on the lookout for that. Wood furniture, might as well get used to it being customized by your little princess. Lord knows we have plenty of customized furniture from ours. :ROFL:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks a lot for the responses guys ! really appreciate it. Training is going well !.. but she will not stop peeing in the crate and house. :) She dosent give me any indication either like shouting etc.. Hoping this will change.
I am giving her Royal Canin baby food right now, but i am also looking to buy something to treat her.. can you guys suggest me something your Puppy used to like or likes? i want to treat her when she does good work.

Thanks again!
Naveen.

May I suggest you look into a better food for her. You can wait until she goes off puppy food but Royal Canin isn't a very good food. We have some great info on dog food here. You can read up on how to actually understand what the ingredients are..and what to look for. If you start now..you'll be ready when she is! And we have some people here who know so much about food..just ask!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say put her on better food too! For me avoderm is easy to find at petsmart and petco but if your going to order I would choose Fromm over anything and have researched it a lot! Also a lot of people on here have their bullys on the grain free and ordering from petflow is great because its free shipping if you spend 49.99 or more! They have snacks and everything! Ok im done promoting lol! With the potty training it just takes time and some get it quicker than others. Good luck keep us updated!

OP
S

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Thanks guys ! Yes it is a wired crate.. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! I was myself planning on changing the food but i am still researching to see which path i should go. i wan to do the BARF diet. I just want to take some time do a lot of research and then start.
She seems to be doing OK with the crate. I am also feeding her in the crate, and asking her to stay for 1/2 hr. She whines for a bit and then goes to sleep after eating ! LOL So i am waking her up and taking her out for potty. Should i just take her immediately after she eats ?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks guys ! Yes it is a wired crate.. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! I was myself planning on changing the food but i am still researching to see which path i should go. i wan to do the BARF diet. I just want to take some time do a lot of research and then start.
She seems to be doing OK with the crate. I am also feeding her in the crate, and asking her to stay for 1/2 hr. She whines for a bit and then goes to sleep after eating ! LOL So i am waking her up and taking her out for potty. Should i just take her immediately after she eats ?

Ohhh ..you must let her go potty after eating and drinking! Usually within 20 minutes or so they have to go. That's why she's whining ..I'm sure. Then let her play awhile ..maybe another quick trip out to potty (after play) then some crate time.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
I know if I had to do it all over again, I would have started Pan on a higher quality food from the get go. You'll find that a lot of bullies have allergies, I know with the amount of money I have spent just treating the allergies, and all of the trouble we've had to go through dealing with them, it would have paid for the better food.

I joke with my vet, the BD stands for bull dog, not a billion dollars.

Live and learn.

Enjoy your new puppy, and be patient, and don't let her out of our site, that way you can see if she needs to go out and isn't getting into things.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.