General Question I love you all but you're driving me CRAZY with this behavior stuff

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
OK I'm getting on my soap box and if you don't like it SOrry. I am really starting to get irritated by the answers to behavior ? around here. I know that Cesar says blah blah blah but it's not always a good idea! :nonono:There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the show for very good reason dogs and people have been hurt and KILLED by doing some of these thing r by inexperienced people or people who don't realize these techniques will not work with all dogs. A dog who believes he is alpha should never ever ever be pinned. This only invites him to challenge you at every turn . You make yourself seem like a threat and the "pack leader" dog has to put you in your place for the good of the pack. You threaten an already fearful dog and they will lash out in self preservation.
I know that this works for some of you but please remember every dog is different and a true alpha dog will hurt you if he believes you are threatening him . There are much safer better kinder ways to train dogs to behave. People used to believe the best way to train dogs was to choke them with their lead until they almost passed out . Some training centers still do this and it works but why do it? I ask the same about submitting.
Also I would like to point out that the researchers who brought about this whole idea have since published another study on wolf hierarchy and have admitted what they originally found is completely and utterly WRONG.
Being alpha to a dog is being the mother or father of the pack and the provider of food and safety it is not about being a bully and challenging your dog
I have worked with groups of up to 50 dog off leash and I can control ALL OF THEM. I never pin a single one. These aren't all "perfect" dog either, they are foster , dogs with issues, high energy dogs and dogs with people, barrier and fear aggression. I could go on and on about all the training I have but my point here isn't to say hey look at me it's just to say I have a basis for what I'm talking about

I believe the best way to make a dog behave is to make them want to. Control their resources Ie food affection and toys. Train them, bond with them , love them, understand them , meet their needs and they will never give you another problem . Nothing in life is free (NILIF) is an amazing training theory for hard to handle dogs , check it out.
Now I step off of my soap box

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
**applause**

That's the awesome thing about open communication. Everyone can have and share their opinion.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Very well said, @dozersmama. You have some very good points here. Training a dog is definitely not a one size fits all deal...too bad, it would be so much easier that way!

I love Cesar Milan...i think he has such natural ability with dogs, but I know from experience and from trainers I've talked to, some of his techniques are not beneficial for my boys. An example is when Cesar puts the food bowl down for his dog and then takes it away from him at any time, to show the dog that Cesar is the boss. I used to do that w/Finn but noticed he got more food aggressive as time went on. After talking w/an obedience teacher, I got feedback that this was causing confusion and frustration for Finn and thus, more aggression. Just one example that does not work for me but may work for others.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i had a boston who tried to bite me whenever i tried to correct him so i tried the "pinning" thing and i got bit twice for it. i learned soon that i believe someone before me had been hurting him and just my or anyones raised voice would set him to sit and shake. if you tried to spank him on his booty he would try to bite you. well through time and soft voices and love he is a different dog. i had to find what worked for him and pinning and such didnt. he responds to a soft voice, slow hand, and i put him in his pen and tell him what he did wrong. ive never been bitten since. you have to tailor your training with your dogs like you do kids. each on is different and respond different to methods used. now sarah i have to use the water bottle approach and putting her in a room by herself. they are all different.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Just like raising our skin kids, what works for one will not work for the other. They are individually minded and makes them who they are. Thing is that most people are giving advice based on what has worked for them so therefore your advice would be different than many others. Does not make anyone else's advice wrong. It is all trial and error and that is the best thing about Ebn, the variety of trial and errors combined. You give great insight which is valuable here as does everyone else who may have a different opinion. ;)

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Just like raising our skin kids, what works for one will not work for the other. They are individually minded and makes them who they are. Thing is that most people are giving advice based on what has worked for them so therefore your advice would be different than many others. Does not make anyone else's advice wrong. It is all trial and error and that is the best thing about Ebn, the variety of trial and errors combined. You give great insight which is valuable here as does everyone else who may have a different opinion. ;)
I think your right about everyone advice not being wrong, My main concern is that in some situations some advice can cause both people and dogs to be injured and we should really be mindful of that when we are replying to threads. . That is really the point I was trying to make , not really so much that I'm right and "you" are wrong. Sorry if it came across that way

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think your right about everyone advice not being wrong, My main concern is that in some situations some advice can cause both people and dogs to be injured and we should really be mindful of that when we are replying to threads. . That is really the point I was trying to make , not really so much that I'm right and "you" are wrong. Sorry if it came across that way

Dont be sorry, that IS why your input is so valuable. ;) I have no experience personally with the negative side of submission and only know that it has worked for me. There is NOTHING wrong with your opinion and it is greatly welcomed. Education is key and the more there is the better. :)

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I may be new here but I am not new to dogs. I think your post was to the point and clearly written with the dog lover in mind. While the shows on tv are informational, what you don't see in that 30 minute time slot is an in-depth look at the dog's history, medical situation or so on... I agree 200% about someone not familiar enough with submissive pressure or experience getting hurt or hurting our fur babies. I agree Cesar has a great format and it's really a great platform, my opinion is you need to have a professional consult to properly address your situation. I have sent a dog or two to U of P for behavior consultation and it was well worth the money!!! Just my 2 cents... great post!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I think your opinion is a good one and very valid, but putting it here is not going to help the members that are asking for advice. What if they never read this thread? Your input is great, but I just don't think this is the place for it. Just my opinion, and each member will give advice based upon their experiences, which is how we all learn. :up:

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the mid
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
As with most things, the best path/way is somewhere in the middle. It's wrong to have a total black/white attitude towards most things (sadly, that seems to be the way of most people in this world), thinking it's either one or the other, without even trying to see things as they are - very complex, with the most appropriate way mostly being somewhere in the middle.

I think it's best if you use good things from both sides, both worlds, and then try applying them correctly, based on the circumstances and also the personality of your dog and what (s)he needs in order to be balanced and achieve happiness.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online