General Question I love you all but you're driving me CRAZY with this behavior stuff

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hey Jennifer, I'll admit that when I first read this I was like whoa, what horse did Jennifer ride in on! I have had dogs nearly all my life and the last 12 year years 4 of those have been Pitbulls (3 my hubby had when we met and now Jack).

Where am I going with this? I like to consider myself the alpha in my house when it comes to my dogs (for a lack of a better title). But what does Alpha mean to me? It means the rules in my house are my rules and my dogs must follow them. If I ask them to sit for their dinner they best be sitting. If I ask them to settle they best settle, etc.

I learned a very important lesson when handling dogs and as much as I'm ashamed to share this story and it's the first you all have heard it, it is training related on what NOT to do! I'm sharing this because I feel it's important about how even when you think you know what you're doing you can totally forget and do everything wrong in an instant!!

You've seen pics of Orion, my 12 yo brindle pitty who has passed right? Orion was a "fear biter" and did not like to be held down nor cornered - he'd always been this way. Well the Fall before he passed, almost 2 years ago, Ace his brother had been having all kinds of potty mishaps. I knew the moment when I'd get home that something happened as they would sit immediately with their heads bowed and not look at me. Well one day Ace peed again and I had a very bad day at work. My routine was to get them outside but I was not happy doing it that day and they knew it. Orion kept running from me and we went back and forth, around the house, upstairs downstairs - you name it - I could NOT get him outside. I was getting very pissed! So STUPID me went and got the snow shovel and closed all the doors upstairs and in doing that the landing at the top of the stairs was all he had to go to. Well up I come with a snow shovel to use to guide him down but I had BAD energy. You already know what happened I’m sure, he turned on me because I trapped him. He teeth were barred and in an instance I was faced with him turning on me. I was STUNNED. What did I do? I just about leaped over the other side of my staircase it was that bad and I felt that any wrong move I made he's attack. I calmly backed down with my hands on the railing in case I needed to leap and left him alone until we all calmed down. I knew better but in my moment I had forgot about he's issues and that nearly costs us both.

I learned a tough lesson that day because I thought I was 100% the Alpha. I never submit a scared or aggressive dog at all (well I've never really had one of those either). But I do submit when they get out of control in the play department.

So what's my point? You have some very valid points but we all do have different ways of handling our dogs, what works for one will not work for another. I also think it's very important for all of us to make sure when we give our opinions on training that we understand the person's dog and them and what their needs are as our advice could be very wrong for them.

That's my opinions.

Oh, good to see you my friend. :hug:

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] That's a great story to share with people, I'm glad that you did.
Ok everyone allow me to explain where my heart was when I wrote this. I admit I can sometimes come across a little brash. I was reading Johns's second post about his dog. I saw 2 words that made me cringe, Vicious and baby! I had an employee at the daycare I managed that did believe in submitting his dog with reasonable success. I'm typically a live and let live kinda person adn we would debate training theory from time to time but in a friendly way. He and his s.o. adopted 3 children. All of his dogs were grea with them and adored them. Until the day that the youngest child, 2, was walking and tripped and fell on one of his dogs. This dog in the past had given him some issue while in a submission hold. The little girl landed on the dog, dog though she was trying to pin him he turned around and quite literally ripped part of her face and skull off! SHe was rushed to the er and lived but with many painful surgeries and sever disfigurement to follow. O also know of another dog whom I used to love @ my daycare that had to be pts due to foster parents abusing their "alpha" role This is why I am so anti physical correction. I know it works but I feel like people coming here with behavior ?? probably don't have the experience needed to do it safely just by the fact that there are here asking. I love you all and I feel like we need to be responsible about the info we give out.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION], I'm glad I did too. That's a tragic story. It's important we know our dogs well. Ace was the do all kids played with an small kids we kept away from Orion or just under supervision for the very story you told. Had a kid fell on him and he was held down, I probably would have turned out of fear.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Whoa, thanks for sharing your experiences, especially the kid one, Jenn. Now I have to talk to the bf about submitting. He doesn't do it too often, maybe every few days or so, but I think he tries to follow Cesar to a tee sometimes. I go with 'what feels right at the time' sorta discipline. Although that includes more assertion on my part occasionally.

Thank you for the 'energy' reminder as well, that definitely goes a long way if done correctly.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I totally see your point. I think the title in your post and the initial post probably started things off wrong and in a negative note. I know me , for one, was pretty taken aback by it. I understand your viewpoint now but every dog is different. We all just need to figure out what techniques work for each individual dog.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I know the post your referencing. I mentioned to my wife that same thing, not everyone can and should just up and submit there dog. Not a good idea. In every case I read and see they have already done so somewhat or was able to already but everyone to do that is not a good idea if they can't do it properly, calmly, and correct.

I always encourage full alpha roll on a daily basis in everything you do from feeding, to house training, walking, just in the living room etc. Never would I suggest just up and show your dog who is boss because your in the mood for the day.

I applaude your well written reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hey Jennifer, I'll admit that when I first read this I was like whoa, what horse did Jennifer ride in on! I have had dogs nearly all my life and the last 12 year years 4 of those have been Pitbulls (3 my hubby had when we met and now Jack).

Where am I going with this? I like to consider myself the alpha in my house when it comes to my dogs (for a lack of a better title). But what does Alpha mean to me? It means the rules in my house are my rules and my dogs must follow them. If I ask them to sit for their dinner they best be sitting. If I ask them to settle they best settle, etc.

I learned a very important lesson when handling dogs and as much as I'm ashamed to share this story and it's the first you all have heard it, it is training related on what NOT to do! I'm sharing this because I feel it's important about how even when you think you know what you're doing you can totally forget and do everything wrong in an instant!!

You've seen pics of Orion, my 12 yo brindle pitty who has passed right? Orion was a "fear biter" and did not like to be held down nor cornered - he'd always been this way. Well the Fall before he passed, almost 2 years ago, Ace his brother had been having all kinds of potty mishaps. I knew the moment when I'd get home that something happened as they would sit immediately with their heads bowed and not look at me. Well one day Ace peed again and I had a very bad day at work. My routine was to get them outside but I was not happy doing it that day and they knew it. Orion kept running from me and we went back and forth, around the house, upstairs downstairs - you name it - I could NOT get him outside. I was getting very pissed! So STUPID me went and got the snow shovel and closed all the doors upstairs and in doing that the landing at the top of the stairs was all he had to go to. Well up I come with a snow shovel to use to guide him down but I had BAD energy. You already know what happened I’m sure, he turned on me because I trapped him. He teeth were barred and in an instance I was faced with him turning on me. I was STUNNED. What did I do? I just about leaped over the other side of my staircase it was that bad and I felt that any wrong move I made he's attack. I calmly backed down with my hands on the railing in case I needed to leap and left him alone until we all calmed down. I knew better but in my moment I had forgot about he's issues and that nearly costs us both.

I learned a tough lesson that day because I thought I was 100% the Alpha. I never submit a scared or aggressive dog at all (well I've never really had one of those either). But I do submit when they get out of control in the play department.

So what's my point? You have some very valid points but we all do have different ways of handling our dogs, what works for one will not work for another. I also think it's very important for all of us to make sure when we give our opinions on training that we understand the person's dog and them and what their needs are as our advice could be very wrong for them.

That's my opinions.

Oh, good to see you my friend. :hug:

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]...wonderful, wonderful post! Appreciate your honesty...great for all of our continuing education in
'speaking animal'. Will share one of my wake up calls-30 years ago, raising ChowChows-the 'old type' like Martha
Stewart's- BIG dogs, tall, heavy boned, stocky beauties...our stud was a wonderful and beautiful black Chow...
Big Mack. One day, he had done something, can't even remember what and I'd come home from work, tired and
bitchy and started in on him and wasn't realizing I'd backed him up in a corner. Ragging on him, I suddenly 'caught'
a certain look in his eye...a warning...and instantly knew I'd gone too far! Shamefaced, I dropped my scolding
finger, lowered my voice, backed out of his personal space and offered my contrite apologies to him. Great & noble
dog he was, he graciously accepted and we went on from there-a lesson I've never forgotten and taught well by him.

As another wonderful post here stated, humans & animals alike, we are always individuals, therefore unique & different!
I would like to hope that anyone reading the various methods offered up to questions asking for help, would understand
that LOVE, KINDNESS, COMPASSION & RESPECT are inherently and obviously used in any method of training and even
more so when reprimanding.

I did suggest using the ALPHA submission hold to one of the post and thinking about it later, regretted that answer. For
all the reasons that Jennifer brought up in her brave and excellent post, it can be hurtful, harmful, dangerous & deadly if
it goes badly. It bothered me and I did not repost with my reconsidered answer and I'd like to 'Thank You, Jennifer' for
your excellent advice and for starting a wonderful conversation & excellent advice and wisdom from all here. Texas Carol

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO...wonderful, wonderful post! Appreciate your honesty...great for all of our continuing education in
'speaking animal'. Will share one of my wake up calls-30 years ago, raising ChowChows-the 'old type' like Martha
Stewart's- BIG dogs, tall, heavy boned, stocky beauties...our stud was a wonderful and beautiful black Chow...
Big Mack. One day, he had done something, can't even remember what and I'd come home from work, tired and
bitchy and started in on him and wasn't realizing I'd backed him up in a corner. Ragging on him, I suddenly 'caught'
a certain look in his eye...a warning...and instantly knew I'd gone too far! Shamefaced, I dropped my scolding
finger, lowered my voice, backed out of his personal space and offered my contrite apologies to him. Great & noble
dog he was, he graciously accepted and we went on from there-a lesson I've never forgotten and taught well by him.

As another wonderful post here stated, humans & animals alike, we are always individuals, therefore unique & different!
I would like to hope that anyone reading the various methods offered up to questions asking for help, would understand
that LOVE, KINDNESS, COMPASSION & RESPECT are inherently and obviously used in any method of training and even
more so when reprimanding.

I did suggest using the ALPHA submission hold to one of the post and thinking about it later, regretted that answer. For
all the reasons that Jennifer brought up in her brave and excellent post, it can be hurtful, harmful, dangerous & deadly if
it goes badly. It bothered me and I did not repost with my reconsidered answer and I'd like to 'Thank You, Jennifer' for
your excellent advice and for starting a wonderful conversation & excellent advice and wisdom from all here. Texas Carol
Thanks [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]. I see you did the same thing I did. A lessoned learned for both of us that had a good outcome that could have been very bad. Makes you wonder when you see these stories on TV about how the dog attacked the owner what really happened.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
This thread REALLY helped me a lot, thank you Dozersmom for posting - I havent been on here for awhile but just last night Otis was biting and being agressive toward me so I resulted to pin him to calm and immediately I felt "this could go bad" and stopped. I will NEVER try that method again and have made an appointment for tomorrow to see our trainer to learn better techniques to curb his biting.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] You may enjoy this
Well as long as we are sharing stories I have one you all have to hear. When I managed the daycare my bf would occasionally Come in and hang out . When we first met he was terrified of dogs, HE was attacked by a dog at age 5. I convinced him to start slow and just meet a few of the dogs we had there. He really started to enjoy it I think. He even agreed to let me get a puppy , that's when I brought Dozer home. He would often come in watch the group play through the windows and ask me ?? He noticed that some of my bossy male dogs often attempted to mount each other. I explained all the reasons dogs mount, play, excitement, dominance, ect ect and didn't think much of it. He seemed content with my answer as He didn't really ask anything else about it. Fast forward a couple of weeks. I was at home in the shower, and I hear this god aweful puppy screaming noise. My heart jump in my throat and I start to panic.Thinking my Dozer was in serious trouble, I jump out of the shower with a head full of shampoo suds , grab a towel and fling open the door. What do I see when I open it? My 6ft 200 lb boyfriend on all fours on the floor thrusting his pelvis in an awkward back and fourth motion. Underneath him is my tiny 12 week old puppy with the most confused and horrified look on his face I have ever seen on any dog. I yell "what the hell are you doing" Trying to hold my towel up keep soap out of my eyes and not pee my non existant pants from laughter. The bf explained that Dozer tried humping him and he figured he would stop it by showing him who it the boss like the other dogs at my work do :ROFL:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] You may enjoy this
Well as long as we are sharing stories I have one you all have to hear. When I managed the daycare my bf would occasionally Come in and hang out . When we first met he was terrified of dogs, HE was attacked by a dog at age 5. I convinced him to start slow and just meet a few of the dogs we had there. He really started to enjoy it I think. He even agreed to let me get a puppy , that's when I brought Dozer home. He would often come in watch the group play through the windows and ask me ?? He noticed that some of my bossy male dogs often attempted to mount each other. I explained all the reasons dogs mount, play, excitement, dominance, ect ect and didn't think much of it. He seemed content with my answer as He didn't really ask anything else about it. Fast forward a couple of weeks. I was at home in the shower, and I hear this god aweful puppy screaming noise. My heart jump in my throat and I start to panic.Thinking my Dozer was in serious trouble, I jump out of the shower with a head full of shampoo suds , grab a towel and fling open the door. What do I see when I open it? My 6ft 200 lb boyfriend on all fours on the floor thrusting his pelvis in an awkward back and fourth motion. Underneath him is my tiny 12 week old puppy with the most confused and horrified look on his face I have ever seen on any dog. I yell "what the hell are you doing" Trying to hold my towel up keep soap out of my eyes and not pee my non existant pants from laughter. The bf explained that Dozer tried humping him and he figured he would stop it by showing him who it the boss like the other dogs at my work do :ROFL:

:LMAO: Dozer must have been scarred from that. No video eh? Omg funny!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.