Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello!

So, we are wanting to start training her more and more to get everything she needs down. Lola knows how to sit pretty well, but we struggle with the rest (stay, off, come). Question is: what worked best for everyone? Tips and tricks would be awesome!

a6fa0ad9-8ed2-c8f4.jpg

Lola loves watching TV!

Sent from my cell phone.... please disregard any spelling errors. Thank you. :)

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Man there are such good resources out there, from internet to books.

I love the book "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson -- really helps with instilling the basics (which I am still working on =))

One thing to say about COME:

ALWAYS make sure COME leads to a positive experience. Avoid using it if you are intending to punish the dog or make his/her fun time end. Be creative and give different treats or toys to the dog every time it comes. Play games, where you and another person take turns calling the dog and rewarding it with treats.

Just NEVER use come to end a dogs fun time....... If you do this then you'll need to find a new word and start over haha!!

Read this article for come, it's very helpful and has been working for me: http://www.perfectpaws.com/recall.html

Please note: You need to develop a rock solid, bomb-proof 'COME', so be patient and practice ALL the time, whenever you get a chance.

If your dog is ever in danger or you need to get him/her out of a tough situation, the hard work will pay off.

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
If you can find a treat that Lola LOVES (not likes but LOVES lol) this can help a lot. My first Bully Chester was a pretty smart dude and learned all from food. But for him to really listen I needed something that he really enjoyed. At the time I was giving him meaty bones which are crappy treats, but at the time I was uneducated on food and that was his hot button. I found teaching him stay was easy though. You just gotta start small. I would make her sit being she knows that good, give her a treat, then say STAY while pointing at the spot, and taking a step back at the same time. If he walks forward place him back in his spot and say STAY again. I personally skip saying sit again and just put him in position again because I feel like it confuses them because they think the command is over once you walk away. And I think it shows them that you don't want them to just sit. Anyways, begin to walk backwards SLOW. Each bit further(every 2 steps back) you get come back and reward him. Just make sure to emphasize that he's getting rewarded for staying even if it's for a short amount of time. Sorry if that sounded confusing. I think I just learned how hard it is to explain things like that lol.

Good luck!!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Imagine Life with a Well-Behaved Dog: A 3-Step Positive Dog-Training Program by Julie A. Bjelland
this is an awesome book! It's all about positive reinforcement! Never punish the dog, that sort of thing. This book is great for two reasons: the author actually encourages you to email her directly with more difficult training problems, and it actually trains your dog to behave, and not only for food!

OP
Deevod

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I'm also starting to train my Lola. She got a bit too spoiled in her first month here and is starting to show signs of heavy stubbornness. :)

Quoted for truth! They are so cute! So hard not to spoil!

Sent from my cell phone.... please disregard any spelling errors. Thank you. :)

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Ha. My little Olive likes to watch tv too. How old is Lola? She sounds so much like my Bully Girl. Olive does like to go for walks but she has my other dog to follow and that really does help.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I started Kain on Clicker taining right away and it has been awesome. I need to make a new video but this is one from when he was around 4 mnths old I would say. He's a little over 7 now, I should of stayed with the training as good as I did when he was young, no concern on the things I taught him just I failed to teach other items. Few more since this video though like paw with both feet and down from a distance etc. When I feed him I just look and he knows to go in a down position now without saying a word. things like that.

OP
Deevod

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=5301]Trod1[/MENTION] - Lola is 3 monhs old now! I never knew raising a puppy was so much like raising a kid! We are going to take her to obedience classes in a couple of months when it cools down, and we work with her nightly, so she will get the hang of things sooner or later.

Good news is, she only chewed up 1 shoe! It was our fault that we thought she was playing with a toy....

lemuelmayers

Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
none
It's really good to feel when you have a pet like this and better if its trainable. You can enroll her to a class or better yet look for a personal trainer that would definitely help her through your house. This is more accessible rather than going to a class.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online