URGENT!!! Jonesy is at it again!

JohnS

Jul 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jonesy
Hello everyone,

My wife had her girlfriend and her baby over today. When she was changin her her pacifier fell on the ground. Jonesy got it ran outside and went under a chair. I grabbed her and submitted her. She growled sooo loud. When I had her down she looked like CUJO! She looked possessed! She was not mean but vicious. She even made her own mouth bleed! When I did let her up she walked away like nothin happened. Is this possessiveness gonna stop? Should I throw a pacifier on the ground everyday till I break her of this bad habit?:bully:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh man! She's a tough nut..et me see if I can get some attention here!

@2BullyMama..any suggestions?
@Vince00????
@Sherry
@Davidh
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

i think you did the right thing. You've got to outlast her. She probably senses your trepidation.. Hang in there..hopefully someone will see this tonight!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did you chase her when she picked it up or did you go to her after she settled in under the chair? Difference being.. chase to her = game and you approaching after she settled in let her know it was not hers to have.

You need to work with her on 'leave it'... use her leash, place a piece of it under your one foot or hold it, lay something on the floor that she would want and when she goes for it, slam a foot on the floor (creating a loud noise) and if you have the water/spray bottle spay her with it and use a firm voice 'LEAVE IT'. If she backs off... praise her and give a small treat. Kepp doing this till she gets it and you can have her respond without being on the leash.

Teaching her not everything is hers will begin to break the possessivness

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I agree as bullymama mentioned timing is critical in the house when you notice she is about to do something wrong correct right when she starts. IE when Kain wants on the couch he will crouch slightly I'm ready and as soon as I sense the crouch BAMN and correct before it happens.

You can use the pacifier as a setup and as soon as she approaches BAMN correct and make her back off.

Doing this while training commands like leave it etc and rewarding good behavior will continue to have her trying to please and not get frustrated and fight back.

As for the growling etc she may be feeling threatened but knows you were not who you were a few days ago so consistency is critical.

Raise the bar on all counts, work her training hard while staying 'Positive' and calm. If you are getting bothered step away and take a breather and come back calm and assertive, it's hard at times like this but it will pay off.

Keep in mind if you do submit her you have to go ALL the way... If you don't she may feel she has the edge and will get worse instead of better.

If you increase your corrective action, rewArd good behavior and stay calm you should get through this.

I would set her up a few times so you can correct it as you know it's coming.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You have gotten the advice you need. Just remember that it takes a LONG time to correct this behavior so know that and just stick to it. Telling you, it took 6 months to get Miila 100% in the pack just right and was beyond exhausting to say the least. One thing I also did when I submitted Miila when she was thinking she was tougher than me was stare her in the eyes while submitting. Do not look away tho. I have always heard that if you stare a dog down they should look away if you are the pack leader so when I was really mad when she bit Cutty for example I stared her down the whole time I pinned her. She would look away and come right back and my eyes never left. I really felt like she knew. Are you holding her throat or her chest when you pin? Have to hold her throat as if you are a dog. Having her lay on her back while you hold the chest isnt the same thing as laying across her with your fingers in the side of her neck as if your hand is the dogs mouth and fingers are the teeth. Not digging in like to hurt but just enough pressure to hold her that way. Funny, after all this I was watching Cutty and Miila play a while back and he submitted her. First time I had ever seen it in real life with a dog doing it. He did it just this way. lol They were totally playing but it made me laugh and reassured me that I did it right.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have nothing to add because you have some good advice above, just be consistent.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=5353]JohnS[/MENTION] I agree with 2bully mama work with her about leave it and refer to my previous post about getting he to switch for something of high value to her ie a hot dog. I gotta disagree with everyone here and say I honestly think you are setting yourself up for a bad situation. DO not push this dog into doing something horrible,. WOrk WIth her do not make it a fight for power. Make her want to do things for you.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've already been given great advice .... sounds like it is a bit of a power struggle!! Just make sure you win!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Imagine yourself as a dog, in a pack, how will you be treated? How do you want to be treated? How much of this behavior are you willing to put up with? Pursue and perseverance Training to sit, lay, stay will earn a treat. Behaving with respect will be earned through battle of the wills. Some bully's are never strong headed and will shy away from a strong "NO" and then again some will challenge you. You know who you are dealing with here. :whew:

[MENTION=5353]JohnS[/MENTION]

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Did you chase her when she picked it up or did you go to her after she settled in under the chair? Difference being.. chase to her = game and you approaching after she settled in let her know it was not hers to have.

You need to work with her on 'leave it'... use her leash, place a piece of it under your one foot or hold it, lay something on the floor that she would want and when she goes for it, slam a foot on the floor (creating a loud noise) and if you have the water/spray bottle spay her with it and use a firm voice 'LEAVE IT'. If she backs off... praise her and give a small treat. Kepp doing this till she gets it and you can have her respond without being on the leash.

Teaching her not everything is hers will begin to break the possessivnes

leave it will save a dogs life....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online