General Question E-Collar's

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I used to think that the e collar worked like a shock collar and I would never do it. Our first bulldog trained relatively easily and was pretty easy going. Fiona on the the other hand is a different story. I tried rewards based training and clicker training and she was moderately successful but when she noticed I didn't have a treat she decided she didn't have to do what she was asked. Training turned into a battle of wills. Then I talked to a guy who trains all sorts of dogs and he suggested the e-collar. We talked about how it wasn't a "shock" it was and electronic stimulation to get their attention. I don't think it is a mean way to train and would suggest to anybody. The results we have seen are remarkable. We train her once a day or every other day for about 20-30 minutes in about 5-7 spurts. Once she gets the command down we don't use the collar.

Since Matilda died in March Fiona has been sort of lost. She didn't know where she belonged. Since beginning her training Fiona has "found" herself and is a settling in to being a good, confident bulldog.

Is it for every dog and owner? I don't know. All I can say is that it works for us and our dog.

Would you mind sharing exactly which E-collar you got?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My opinion is it would be heart breaking for me to use so for me I couldnt do it but if its working for you and and it sounds like it is then I say more power to ya. Different strokes for different folks:tongue:!

csandvik

Jul 3, 2012
Woodbridge, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
EBDR35: The collar we have is the Einstein 400TS-A

Sweetpeasmom: Again, I used to think that as well. It works the way that ab belt thing does for us humans. That infomercial that they play where they say you can lose weight by doing sit up while you sit on the couch. It just contracts the muscle, no pain involved.:)

Like you said, different strokes for different folks. This will always be a "hot button" topic.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Wondering how things are going with the e-collar. Our dog Mila is deaf and we bought a collar that has both vibration and shock. Working with the vibration as a pager with good results. Thinking I may have to use the shock function as a deterrent in the future. I can say no as many times and as loud as I want (training me is hard LOl) she doesn't hear it. Collar is currently set to 0 Shock so we don't accidentally hit the shock button. Gotta keep the remote away from Rudy, he would use his paws to turn the shock all the way to 100 to keep the little terror (Jaws on Paws) away from him.

csandvik

Jul 3, 2012
Woodbridge, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
The ecollar training going great! It may sound weird to some, but Fiona loves when we grab the collar and put it on her. She gets all excited. She was a dog that would walk on leash okay. Typically she would zig zag all over the place. We would correct her constantly, but to no avail. I trained with the collar and now she is off leash in perfect heel. It took 20 minutes. During that 20 minutes I think I hit the button about 10 times. As I said before, it's not for everybody, but I definitely a believer. I have also trained dogs with positive reinforcement with great results. The ecollar works alot faster.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.