General Question E-Collar's

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Hello all!!

I just got done doing a bunch of research on them and I'm super tempted to buy one...

I know, I know...A lot of you are going to say they're cruel, but trust me...They are NOT! I went to a local pet store and the owner had one out and I started talking to her about it. She was telling me how amazing they are and if you have a stubborn dog who is too smart for their own good these are the ticket. She even tested it out on me to prove they don't hurt lol. I can't believe people think these are cruel...Not gonna lie, I was one of them. But the one I was looking at had 16 different settings for the power of it. So you can really dial in on what's best for your dog. It honestly felt like an annoying tingle, nothing painful at all. Although when I turned it up a bit 5+ it started getting pretty serious lol...But she told me she never had to go past the 4th one. Which was the one that I also found to be the one that is not painful but still very annoying for any animal. I've tried just about every type of training method for Lilly, but she doesn't respond to them. She has NO food drive whenever you try to get her to do something she doesn't like. So that's out. Positive reinforcement helped with her potty training and goes on her pad, but I still can't get her to go outside...It's been four months of it, and it's just not working. I think these methods are good for certain breeds, and certain personalities. But not all dogs are the same, and some are a little more inclined to stick it out so they get what they want. Especially ones that have gone through traumatic experiences like her.

For those of you that don't know, I rescued Lilly. I am her 4th owner. She's been given away by their past owners and now she's become quite paranoid of everything. She hates going outside. So much that she frantically will run to the car as soon as we hit the sidewalk, or try turning around to go back home. Or will just refuse to walk, and will lay down on her back in the middle of the sidewalk...Forget walking on leash, it don't happen. And trust me people, I am very good about working with her. But through traditional methods she get NO motivation. Keep in mind that because of her fear of the outdoors, all potty occurs indoors. Accidents on the carpet occur all the time, and it's VERY frustrating. Her fears are VERY intense, and I think an E-Collar could help get her motivated and understand that I ain't messing around. I've seen/read some amazing stories of fearful dogs taking it very well, and learning fast from it. But I'm curious if anyone on here tried one and how their luck was with it. I'm probably going to get one regardless but wanted to hear some other opinions. I know they can be bad if you don't know how to use one but I've been doing a lot of reading and have a good understanding at how to correct what you want fixed with them. And please, no hateful comments. I know there's some controversy with these things, but I think something we all need to embrace is dogs learn different then humans. Mother dogs don't jump around acting all happy when their pups do the right thing. They nip them on the neck and use their doggy instincts. They're not going around giving the pups treats trying to correct them. Nor do our parents lol!! A type of tough love I guess you can call it. But if Lilly wants to stay here with me, she needs to learn these things like going outside, and walking on a leash. I can't keep her forever if she's like this. Luckily I'm on unemployment and I have the time to spend with her, but that will end eventually and I won't be able to control where she goes to the bathroom or her boundaries. So I need to start making moves and making more progress. Hope you all can understand. I thought about making her a youtube channel to document her progress with it. Let me know all your opinions please, and be nice :D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This is my personal view .... I believe that if she is that fearful of things, then to use something on her that is "unpleasant" is hardly going to reinforce that these actions you want her to do and experience are nice.

I know it can seem like you are going nowhere with some of the training, but I strongly believe that you will get there in the end by showing love and rewarding the action when it is right.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I totally agree with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think the use of these collars is bad when you have an issue with a dog for correcting bad behaviors. But I don't think it's correcting a bad behavior in your situation. She must have some real baggage and fears she is carrying and I fear this will make it worse.

Sent from my iPod touch using

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
We had a demo with one when we were interviewing trainers and it was more of a little buzz/attention getting thing. I was worried it would hurt or shock, but didn't at all.

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
We have a friend (married 1 daughter under 4yrs) who got one for his Great Dane. After a few months they no longer needed it...they used it as a training tool then once he learned basic "no", "drop it", and "stay" commands they took it off.

My worry is on an EB (well, mine anyway) theres lots of neck flubber...when I see one in a collar they look uncomfortable...? I know you can put it anywhere, bc we had a wireless fence for our Boxer, but I don't know where on the collar/harness I'd feel comfortable placing it.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Ah, yes I wondered too if it would kinda be counter intuitive, but I CAN return it if I see no kinda progress. It really is such a subtle tingle so I don't see how it can really be THAT negative to her well being. If it hurt I can totally see that this would most definitely happen. But being that it's basically painless I think it's worth a try.

I've seen so many cases that seem worse then her's that come out successful on youtube. The key that I came across was that you can't do too much too soon. You work with each behavior at a time rather then all of them. The BIG one I want her to get is walking on a leash, and going for walks. All the other stuff I think will work itself out over time, but the walking is a real challenge with her. It's something that I think if used very wisely and moderately can work for her. First I'm going to work indoors, and walk around the house with a leash with her by my side. And then slowly work my way to the door, and then outside completely. I'm going to monitor her progress very closely, and if I even sense the slightest bit of serious discomfort I'll take it back.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Hmm. I agree with most of the others. If she is fearful of being outside and who knows what happened inher past, it could make her more uncertain. I understand your frustration though. Have you tried walking her with other dogs? Maybe she needs to learn from other dogs? Is she social? I know a lot of people on here don't care for dog parks, but Bubba loves it and nothing bad has ever happened to him there. Maybe she needs to get socializing more, if you haven't already, and get her outside. I don't know. That's a tough situation! Good luck!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I use it with my dogs for aggression issues they both have.. I was very consistentnwithbot the first month and I saw a gret improvement in Aldo's lunging and Kataras territorial issues they had improved so much I stopped using it for about another month. The last couple days Katara has been attacking Aldo and I had one incident with Aldo and my daughter when she was playing with Katara. They are charging ready for fulldaily use starting tomorrow. Aldo is scared and hypervigilant. I do not use it to correct those behaviors Ido not use if for mild overexcitement I always focus on training firt and only use it for when it is safer for them (fights) or the kids (Aldos lunging) I do not think it will work with lilly I think it will make her more scared. It is a punishment in a sense, a correction, and I don't think you should punish her when she is scared I think it will make it worse. I know you are trying hard with Lilly, you are doing a great job!

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Thanks for all the input! And thanks for the encouragement. I love the everlovin' crap outta her, but man is she a lot of work...What stinks, is the previous owner did not disclose any of this to me. I probably still would have took her lol, but still...It's just kinda hard to believe that only positive training will help her. She needs a push...Something...and I will find it :detective:

The way I look at it is, I can stop whenever I see she's not responding the way I want. Which should be pretty apparent after about 5 minutes of use. It's not like I'm zapping her at full power or planning on committing to it if it is bad, and I really don't think it could get much worse lol. I do slightly agree with you all, but at the same time I don't kinda, it's weird. Like I said I believe some dogs need a more tough love approach. Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. All I know is I'm going take extreme caution because of what you all said.

I also tried a prong collar on her once, and it lasted for about a day and I couldn't do it. It did work and she did walk believe it or not, but I just felt horrible using it. This is soooooo much less annoying for them, and allows me to relax knowing i'm not "biting" her. But not once did she yelp from the prong collar so I don't think it's going to cause anymore issues then she already has. I PROMISE to you all I'm gonna be super gentle, and super careful. Don't judge me lol :ashamed:

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
UPDATE:

So...I bit the bullet and bought one.

Started working with her doing very small stupid things to get her accustomed to the whole process. One of the annoying things she does is when I do want to walk her, she runs when she see's me hinting towards the door. So what I did first was teach her to come to me, and then follow. Then, I started standing by the door and getting her to come to me. This time when she started walking away but the tingle was enough to get her focus back at me. It took a few corrections, but she got it! She still tries to avoid it every time, but I can correct her and she knows what the correction means. She also is starting to figure out there is no way around it. Anyways, I got excited so I tried walking her with it and she still wouldn't walk :shout:

I tried for about 5 minutes, but she just lies there and lets me correct her. So I went back in my apartment and just worked on getting to the door. After about a half hour I could tell she understood, so I tried getting her to follow me out, then down the stairs, and then outside to the sidewalk which she all did on her own without a leash. So needless to say I'm extremely happy with her right now :excited:

She's not displaying any kind of resentment for doing it either. Still acting like the little nut that she is, so rest assured everyone I think I might be able to fix this dog after all!!!:jumpdance:

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Well I was able to get even more done with her...I had her walking in the middle of the road without a leash right next to me trotting like a real dog, and not low to the ground scared for her life. She seemed so happy to be outside and not scared for once. Brought her inside and she's been acting fine, and wanted to play when we got back...

So...@gunnyboy

No I wouldn't use these on my kids (if I had any). But my kids would also understand what I am trying to say, or communicate/understand via human behavior. So there would be no need lol

@LolasPuppet I did put it around my neck + my g/f's, and we both found it to be annoying but not painful at all.

Mother dogs use their mouths to correct the pups. This creates a little painful circumstance when the dog does a certain behavior. So why is it ok for the mother dog to create this circumstance for them, but not me, their new mother, or care taker? I agree they can be used the wrong way and be cruel if they aren't used right. So using one requires a lot of reading and watching others. I probably watched around 3 hr's of tips, and read over a dozen articles on them before finally allowing myself to be ok with it. Remember that most have levels that you and your pet can choose. I stop once I see her ear twitch, so there is no yelps or any crazy discomfort. It's not some unregulated single shock that they get. They are NOT getting a real SHOCK. It's like a little poke. So please before thinking I'm a cruel person, go do some more research or try one out if you can. I even put it on my mother(she thought it was cruel too until I showed her), and she just laughed at it...If she can handle it, then anyone can lol, she's a wimp...

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Sorry if that sounded a little :cursing:

But I don't want people thinking I'm a cruel person. My other dog Chester was all PR and never once did I have to use something like this. But her issues are pretty deeply rooted, and everything that I've used on all my dogs didn't work for her at all. Please just don't hate me :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online