Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E-Collar's

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: E-Collar's

Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    I watched an episode with a Ceaser on a food aggressive, abused bulldog and the collar worked in this situation and I would use it at that level also.

May be overkill on your situation though, as a lot could be dealt with on daily work and obedience training.

You will have to work on the fears and the way to do that is pushing the mind forward until your over the issue and then rinse and repeat. Not sure how the collar would apply here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    E-Collar's are really used for just about everything minus house breaking. IF that's the method you want to use. It works for her because she can't avoid me anymore by running away when its time to go out. If she does, she gets a correction. So now I call her to the door, and she comes and will walk right out. Also with learning to walk outside I simply would call her from the sidewalk while she was on my porch. If she didn't get up, I gave her a correction, and after two, she got right up and sat next to me! Then I moved to walking, and it just seemed to fall in place. Granted this is only one day of real training, but holy moly what a change. Its basically teaching her to that what I'm trying to get her to do is unavoidable, and something is required of her when I say a certain command. The collar could really apply to anything you want to teach them, so the limits are pretty endless. I also praise her tons when she does it right so she knows there's an annoying reinforcement or a happy one, it's her choice.
    Last edited by LiLlilly; 07-17-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPanAndWendy View Post
    Hmm, Pan has never had any issues that required such harsh measures. Don't get me wrong - sometimes he's VERY bull headed.

I would suggest trying to find another method, leave that one for the very last resort. But since I've read that you've already started using it, just don't start depending on it. Remember you attack more bees with sugar than you do with vinegar. Love will get you so much farther.

This is in no way harsh...lol.

And Pan is not Lilly...And I DO LOVE her...And she knows it too. It's not like I'm an extremist and making her do 12 hr drills. Very small sessions every day to keep the stress level low, and a low learning curve. I want her to grasp one thing fully before asking for another. Like I said previously she came in and wanted to play as soon as we got back. She in no way held a grudge. And I'm sure Pan doesn't pee and poop inside on a regular basis either...And I'm pretty sure you can walk him outside so you could potty train him...Also, I'm sure your dog was a puppy when you were teaching this and not stubborn and stuck in his ways. As you can see I'm dealing with a lot of dog right now, and I'm most likely going to be getting a new job within a couple weeks so that means less time. I could have been like the three people before me and gave up, but I'm trying something new and ITS WORKING!! So rest assured, she's getting more then enough love, and this in no way means I love my dogs any less then you. Nor does it mean I will get less out of my dog...
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 07-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pan Cake
    Likes (Received)

Definetely didn't mean to offend you in any way. Nor did I try to infer that you love her less.
    I understand your frustration, I'm glad that you found something that works.
    Like I said, I've never had to deal with issues this severe.
    My advice was simply not to over do it. I can tell you love her, and that you want the best for her.
    I'm just not a fan of the shock collars. But if it's working, as it appears from your posts, then thats great.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

They used to call those things "Shock Collars" -- and maybe they were? But E-collars are NOT shock collars; they simply redirect the dog at the exact point where you are redirecting to correct a specific behavior. I've seen them used successfully (on Cesar Millan's show of course) to redirect a food aggressive dog and to train Cesar's own dogs to leave Rattlesnakes alone. There was one episode where they used one on a farm dog that liked to chase tires. The dog had been RUN OVER a gazillion times and persisted in chasing tires on everything on the farm. Dangerous! An E-collar redirected this dog at the MOMENT he was going after the tire. The e-collar is closer to a cell phone on "vibration" than anything archaically shocking.

E-collars are a great tool for "last resort" behavior modification, I think, but should only be used when trained by a professional on how to use them. In the wrong hands, I think they could potentially do more damage than good.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPanAndWendy View Post
    Definetely didn't mean to offend you in any way. Nor did I try to infer that you love her less.
    I understand your frustration, I'm glad that you found something that works.
    Like I said, I've never had to deal with issues this severe.
    My advice was simply not to over do it. I can tell you love her, and that you want the best for her.
    I'm just not a fan of the shock collars. But if it's working, as it appears from your posts, then thats great.
    I just don't like how the collars are considered harsh, and/or cruel to the animal. Sorry if I sounded a little ticked but, it's just getting frustrating having to explain to everyone that it isn't...Not just you guys on here, but my family and neighbors asked me and react like I'm crazy. I had to take it off to ensure them I'm not hurting her. People around my town are super nosey lol. So I apologize for being kinda snappy, but it's just kinda annoying after a while. I guess I got to come to terms that it's a very misunderstood and need to educate people about it. Obviously I'm no expert yet but I've done quite a bit of reading on them and have a good understand of their use. Thanks for your concern, and again sorry for being snippy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    They used to call those things "Shock Collars" -- and maybe they were? But E-collars are NOT shock collars; they simply redirect the dog at the exact point where you are redirecting to correct a specific behavior. I've seen them used successfully (on Cesar Millan's show of course) to redirect a food aggressive dog and to train Cesar's own dogs to leave Rattlesnakes alone. There was one episode where they used one on a farm dog that liked to chase tires. The dog had been RUN OVER a gazillion times and persisted in chasing tires on everything on the farm. Dangerous! An E-collar redirected this dog at the MOMENT he was going after the tire. The e-collar is closer to a cell phone on "vibration" than anything archaically shocking.

E-collars are a great tool for "last resort" behavior modification, I think, but should only be used when trained by a professional on how to use them. In the wrong hands, I think they could potentially do more damage than good.
    I agree to an extent, but I'm obviously not a professional. Youtube has some GREAT videos that show when/how to correct a dog to get the behavior you desire. Panzerzoo has some cool videos where she uses a speaker box so you can see every time she corrects. Very helpful! So I studied up on as many as I could until I felt confident, and so far I think I'm doing pretty damn good lol. But keep in mind I'm doing very basic stuff like come, sit, stay. And only doing stuff that I completely understand. No experimenting lol. When I'm outside with her I'm working where she's comfortable and just moving forward very slowly. I got her in the road all by doing it at her own speed, and building her confidence so there is no forcing. I really wish you all could have seen her trotting in the road, it was amazing. I almost started to cry a bit because I was so happy to see her comfortable walking next to me. Quite a moment when a dog can overcome something. But she's still got a long way to go, but now I know she can do it. I'm actually going on an interview at a dog boarding/training kennel in a couple of hours. If I get the job hopefully they can give me some more tips and teach me some advanced stuff...Fingers crossed.

And again...I'm sorry if I sounded a little mean in that one post, just got a little frustrated. Good to know there's a lot of nice people on here that just want the best for her too. But please understand that I tried traditional techniques for 4 months straight with little to no progress. I was able to teach her to do some cool stuff like sitting and waiting for food and not touching it until I say "GO EAT!" Which I think is pretty awesome because she'll sit there for 10 min if I don't say it lol. But when it came to going out, noting motivates her. I tried toys, food, and positive reinforcement with no real results...My poor Lilly has some serious issues, but hopefully now I can change all that.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LolasPuppet View Post
    My stance on such collars is this: put one around your own neck and make someone else "train" you for a while. If it turns out you can handle it without much trouble, go ahead, put it on your dog.
    i totally agree!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)

Well I guess I'm in the clear then

PS

Lets all try to keep in mind that there are professionals all around the world that use these to train dogs every day. It's currently one of the most effective/consistent method of training, and it's becoming the most popular. Do you really think that they would advocate something that would ruin the overall behavioral health of any dog that they train? They run a business training dogs so why would they use something that would cause any kind of harm to them? That would ruin their business. Another thing all you skeptics should do before judging it is go watch some videos of the dogs that serve our country/community. Most of them were trained via e-collar/prong and are very impressive dogs. Not only are they smart but they display a positive disposition and show no signs of discomfort/resentment during their exercise. And most of them don't need it once they are trained. So c'mon guys and lighten up a bit and try to let go that they aren't babies, or human for that matter. When we treat them like babies is when you run into trouble...
    Last edited by LiLlilly; 07-17-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Just a gentle reminder to keep this thread civilized. Everyone is entited to their own training techniques whether we agree with it or not and it's good to hear all sides. Continue debating but no harrassing.

Carry on!
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

Let's keep in mind this was a What is your opinion thread? Careful not to criticize the opinions given, it's fine if you see otherwise as well as I'm sure they are very good just not everyone will agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

well I cant have much opinion since I have not actually ever interacted with one of these collars. BUT I am glad to see that you are seeing great results anyhow. That is wonderful and it sounds like she is coming out of her shell as well. Oh and @gunnyboy would I use one on my kids?!?! Depends on the time of day perhaps. If it works this great I might. JUST KIDDING of course.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    well I cant have much opinion since I have not actually ever interacted with one of these collars. BUT I am glad to see that you are seeing great results anyhow. That is wonderful and it sounds like she is coming out of her shell as well. Oh and @gunnyboy would I use one on my kids?!?! Depends on the time of day perhaps. If it works this great I might. JUST KIDDING of course.
    With a three and four year old on the prowl don't tempt me @cali~jenn, this past month has been a real challenge to say the least!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads