Help Needed! biting and growling

Cookie Crumbles Mum

Jun 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie Crumble
Hi can you give me some advice please - I have a one year old little lady , cookie crumble....but in the last couple of months when playing with my son or husband she has begun to ankle bite or nip toes hard enough to hurt. She does not attempt it with me and responds positively to my commands- I take her to dog obedience classes weekly- where she does as I ask. How do my son- he's 16- and hubby regain control? They both tend to shout which cookie takes as an invitation to bite and growl.....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I will tag a few people who maybe can give you a better answer than me. I'm wondering if they aren't playing too aggressively with her. Dogs don't know the boundaries of playtime and not..without it being taught.

@2BullyMama...@Davidh....@Sherry...[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bullies love to bite ankles and toes. So when she gets too rough, they need to stop the play until she calms down. They may have to tell her "NO" and even hold her until she calms down, plus they can even give her a chew toy when she does this, so she will know to chew on the toy and not them. It will take time, so be consistent.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It sounds like they are inviting the biting, not good ! My husband does the same thing with his tone of voice and puts the excitement level sky high. You don't have a problem with your dog, you have a problem with your husband and son. HA good luck
[MENTION=5211]Cookie Crumbles Mum[/MENTION]

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe it's the manner in which they are playing with her? Monitoring her excitement level sets her up for success in social situations. She doesn't know that biting ankles and growling is wrong - and screaming or hollering probably escalates the behavior. She's playing --- and it's the human's job to monitor and guide the dog to what's appropriate for play (just like her peers --- or her pack leader would --- if she were playing too rough in a pack of dogs) Bo goes from zero to ten on the excitement scale when people use that high pitched "puppy talk" with him so I'm "on it" if that ever occurs. Nipping it in the bud -- so to speak -- is a best course of action and will require the least amount of energy/noise/action from you --- but will get the MOST reaction out of your pup.

Setting the dog up for success is key. If dad and son like to play rough with Cookie and then wonder why she gets all bitey and growly -- they've led her there and it's not her fault. She's just a pup. My suggestion is that they avoid rough play that leads her to this behavior and if she does get nippy, disagree with the behavior. They might try saying "OUCH" real loud and then IMMEDIATELY leaving the dog. The message there is, "I don't like rough play." Pups WANT to be with their pack so she'll catch on. Meanwhile, your son and husband should be taking Cookie on walks and practicing being her pack leader -- like she's already learned with you. There are many great books on this topic.

Growling during play is a normal thing for a dog --- but I do not allow it in playing with me (or other humans )--- period.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh gosh Miila went thru that phase. Razor sharp teeth and she would hide under my daughters bed and bite my toes when I would change her. OUCH! She outgrew that phase thankfully but that was also about the time when I had to start really busting her for being bad so maybe the 2 went hand in hand.

OP
Cookie Crumbles Mum

Cookie Crumbles Mum

Jun 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie Crumble
Thank you for such sound advice - I will encourage my hubby and son to assert themselves as pack leaders - I think the ouch and ignoring cookie will work. They both sometimes hype her up too far I think so she begins biting. I just have a hard time training the hubby and son to see this!! Lol xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hubby and son should also be attending obedince class with you... also, be sure they are following your lead with the training at home... consistency is key

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.