Thread: Biting new puppy

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus and Eddie
    Likes (Received)

Default Biting new puppy

Angus is 8 months and about a month ago we brought a 4 month French bulldog. Angus just keeps biting him and charging at him. Being a complete bully. After Angus keeps biting him for a while the Eddie the French bites him back and things escalate from there. I know Angus is not trying to really hurt him, but it just gets old. I thought after a month they would be able just to relax with each other. What can I do?? Is it because they're both males???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_20120529_200935-jpg   -img_20120504_144415-jpg  

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Biting new puppy

Let's get you some help from someone with experience on this..hang in there! @2BullyMama....@Davidh...

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Dont have much advice to give...I think they are trying to decide who is the pack leader between them. You need to let them know you will not tolerate that behavior and you are the leader. I have a 5 year old pitbull Chanel who did great with Brutus as a puppy...She did have her moments of growling and such to let him know but I had to let her know that it wasnt acceptable and now there are no problems when they play never gets esclated with play fighting as they know their boundaries Others will be by with better advice..Good Luck with everything
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Cleaned coke can filled with pennies (about 5 or 6). Tape it closed. shake it when he goes over the line. Throw it next to him if he still doesn't listen.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gobronco View Post
    Cleaned coke can filled with pennies (about 5 or 6). Tape it closed. shake it when he goes over the line. Throw it next to him if he still doesn't listen.
    The ol' noisy can is a great way to disagree with a behavior you don't want. Be strategic about when and how much you use it though so it remains effective as a behavior modification tool. When my two were going thru this, I used a squirt bottle - but only as a SECOND course of action if my first one didn't get the reaction I wanted. (First thing I do is just say "Hey" - I'm not going to have a squirt bottle or a coke can on me all the time, right?)

As the leader of your pack, it's your job to regulate the energy in play. They're just pups so they are finding their way -- and you are showing them that way. Practice some leadership rituals with them in the meantime.

Good luck. You can do this!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

He may just be playing or trying to be the alpha, either way you need to show him that is not acceptable behavior, and you are the alpha. You ahve some good advise above. I have used the can method before and it works pretty well. You also need to use a stern "NO" or "HEY" or what ever word you want to get him attention, and give him a time out when he is being bad or playing too rough. Just keep calm and persistent. It will get better once he figures out your will not put up with it. They are both too cute.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

another way is to get a spray bottle with water in it and when they begin to show that type of behavior -- a good firm 'no' with a spray to the face will get them to settled down and know you are not accepting of that behavior. good luck and keep us posted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

I have found this method to work fantastic and my 4 moth old already has stopped in addition I like to say knock it off rather than no because the dog has a hard time understanding no since he hears it so many times a day in our typical communication
    "My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog thinks I am."
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your life.
    <---DUKE

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus and Eddie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the advise. I will try the can method for now. Wish me luck.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Englishbully13 View Post
    I have found this method to work fantastic and my 4 moth old already has stopped in addition I like to say knock it off rather than no because the dog has a hard time understanding no since he hears it so many times a day in our typical communication
    You realize that dogs don't speak English right? It's your voice, energy and facial cues that he's reading. Try saying "Strawberry Yogurt" in place of "Knock it off" with the same voice, energy and facial cues.

I know. I know. I think my dogs know what I am saying too --- but they really don't.

Real Name
    Kevin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Renzo
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    Dont have much advice to give...I think they are trying to decide who is the pack leader between them. You need to let them know you will not tolerate that behavior and you are the leader. I have a 5 year old pitbull Chanel who did great with Brutus as a puppy...She did have her moments of growling and such to let him know but I had to let her know that it wasnt acceptable and now there are no problems when they play never gets esclated with play fighting as they know their boundaries Others will be by with better advice..Good Luck with everything
    This!!! When I brought Renzo home, my 8 year old Brittany Spaniel would growl at him when Renzo tried to play. The first few times I told him no and it worked at the time. He kept doing this so I made him submit and told him know, I only had to do this twice...behavior corrected.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice ~ Neil Peart

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texkota View Post
    This!!! When I brought Renzo home, my 8 year old Brittany Spaniel would growl at him when Renzo tried to play. The first few times I told him no and it worked at the time. He kept doing this so I made him submit and told him know, I only had to do this twice...behavior corrected.
    Chanel was great with Brutus.....Brutus wasnt great with her He would hang on to her back leg and she would drag him yes it was funny but when she would be sleeping all of a sudden there is a bully poucing on her She is such a good girl and I am blessed to have her! Brutus on the other hand LOL I love him the same
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Remove Ads