Biting new puppy

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
Angus is 8 months and about a month ago we brought a 4 month French bulldog. Angus just keeps biting him and charging at him. Being a complete bully. After Angus keeps biting him for a while the Eddie the French bites him back and things escalate from there. I know Angus is not trying to really hurt him, but it just gets old. I thought after a month they would be able just to relax with each other. What can I do?? Is it because they're both males???

Attachments

• IMG_20120529_200935.jpg
    IMG_20120529_200935.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20120504_144415.jpg
    IMG_20120504_144415.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 99

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Dont have much advice to give...I think they are trying to decide who is the pack leader between them. You need to let them know you will not tolerate that behavior and you are the leader. I have a 5 year old pitbull Chanel who did great with Brutus as a puppy...She did have her moments of growling and such to let him know but I had to let her know that it wasnt acceptable and now there are no problems when they play never gets esclated with play fighting as they know their boundaries :) Others will be by with better advice..Good Luck with everything :)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Cleaned coke can filled with pennies (about 5 or 6). Tape it closed. shake it when he goes over the line. Throw it next to him if he still doesn't listen.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Cleaned coke can filled with pennies (about 5 or 6). Tape it closed. shake it when he goes over the line. Throw it next to him if he still doesn't listen.

The ol' noisy can is a great way to disagree with a behavior you don't want. Be strategic about when and how much you use it though so it remains effective as a behavior modification tool. When my two were going thru this, I used a squirt bottle - but only as a SECOND course of action if my first one didn't get the reaction I wanted. (First thing I do is just say "Hey" - I'm not going to have a squirt bottle or a coke can on me all the time, right?)

As the leader of your pack, it's your job to regulate the energy in play. They're just pups so they are finding their way -- and you are showing them that way. Practice some leadership rituals with them in the meantime.

Good luck. You can do this!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He may just be playing or trying to be the alpha, either way you need to show him that is not acceptable behavior, and you are the alpha. You ahve some good advise above. I have used the can method before and it works pretty well. You also need to use a stern "NO" or "HEY" or what ever word you want to get him attention, and give him a time out when he is being bad or playing too rough. Just keep calm and persistent. It will get better once he figures out your will not put up with it. They are both too cute.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
another way is to get a spray bottle with water in it and when they begin to show that type of behavior -- a good firm 'no' with a spray to the face will get them to settled down and know you are not accepting of that behavior. good luck and keep us posted.

Englishbully13

Jul 10, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I have found this method to work fantastic and my 4 moth old already has stopped in addition I like to say knock it off rather than no because the dog has a hard time understanding no since he hears it so many times a day in our typical communication

OP
elyrig

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
Thanks for all the advise. I will try the can method for now. Wish me luck.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have found this method to work fantastic and my 4 moth old already has stopped in addition I like to say knock it off rather than no because the dog has a hard time understanding no since he hears it so many times a day in our typical communication

You realize that dogs don't speak English right? :ROFL: It's your voice, energy and facial cues that he's reading. Try saying "Strawberry Yogurt" in place of "Knock it off" with the same voice, energy and facial cues.

I know. I know. I think my dogs know what I am saying too --- but they really don't.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
Dont have much advice to give...I think they are trying to decide who is the pack leader between them. You need to let them know you will not tolerate that behavior and you are the leader. I have a 5 year old pitbull Chanel who did great with Brutus as a puppy...She did have her moments of growling and such to let him know but I had to let her know that it wasnt acceptable and now there are no problems when they play never gets esclated with play fighting as they know their boundaries :) Others will be by with better advice..Good Luck with everything :)

This!!! When I brought Renzo home, my 8 year old Brittany Spaniel would growl at him when Renzo tried to play. The first few times I told him no and it worked at the time. He kept doing this so I made him submit and told him know, I only had to do this twice...behavior corrected.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This!!! When I brought Renzo home, my 8 year old Brittany Spaniel would growl at him when Renzo tried to play. The first few times I told him no and it worked at the time. He kept doing this so I made him submit and told him know, I only had to do this twice...behavior corrected.

Chanel was great with Brutus.....Brutus wasnt great with her :bang: He would hang on to her back leg and she would drag him :lol: yes it was funny but when she would be sleeping all of a sudden there is a bully poucing on her :) She is such a good girl and I am blessed to have her! Brutus on the other hand :hmm: LOL I love him the same :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.