Jonesy bit me-plz help!

JohnS

Jul 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jonesy
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the site and need some help. Here s what's up. When jonesy gets something in her mouth that's she's not supposed to have and u try and take it from her she becomes very aggressive and downright mean. She recently bit me hard-drew blood. Any suggestions?:nonono:

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
How old is Jonesy? How long have you had her? Is your home her first home besides the breeder's?

Without further information it's kinda hard to say. At it's surface it sounds like an Alpha issue to me, we can help you fix this, we just need some more info so we can give you the best possible solution.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all..if you are feeling fearful of her, she has the upper hand and can sense she's the boss. You have to demand from her the respect and yes..fear..that right now she has over you. You need to make her submit to you . I'll get some people here to give you the best way to do this. This will be an ongoing lesson for her and you. Please hold on..while people get a chance to find this post. @2BullyMama...@Davidh..@Sherry...[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
John I'm glad ya made it here ! (do I get extra credit for pointing him to this site?) LOL we WILL get Jonesy figured out :)
Rick

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
John I'm glad ya made it here ! (do I get extra credit for pointing him to this site?) LOL we WILL get Jonesy figured out :)
Rick

You get bully bucks if he put your userid in at registration. :)

Obedience training would be the first step, have you done this already? It is important that your dog knows you are in charge. Also do you have any other family members in your house? It is very important that everyone gets involved with pack leadership.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advise already, and I am curious like [MENTION=5193]Texkota[/MENTION] asto how old and how long you have had her. Get enrolled in an obedience class, so she knows you are the boss, then work from there. I never let a dog get aggressive with any of my family members. You have to show no fear and be in charge. The class will show you this.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well all I can speak from is my experience with Miila. She was 1 when we got her and a total sweetheart. BUT she had to make her way in our pack and got more than feisty during the transition. Started biting me during feeding and when she wanted a toy, basically thinking she was in charge. Not on my watch... I got a LOT of help from many here and learned how to be the boss in ways I have never needed. !st thing I did was hand feed. Take a handful of her food at a time and sit with it in her hand. Basically teasing her showing that you are in charge of this and not her. When I was ready and she sat/stayed then I would have her do a trick like sit pretty, high five lay down etc before giving the handful. Did this for every feeding for a bit until I could see a change in her. Once I saw progress I would just start her feedings with a handful of being hand fed before allowing her to eat freely and then even still making her do tricks before eating when I stopped the hand feeding. Also make her take a break from eating 1 or 2 times (having her back up and sit and stay until you say she can eat again) once you stop hand feeding. Basically I felt like I was messing with her mind but it really worked. As for the toy issue I would take it and set it where you want and make her sit/stay in a place where she can see it and know that she cant have it until you give. Miila was attacking my other 2 pups for toys so I would take the toy from her when she had it and give it to them as if to show that they can have it whenever they want and she would just sit and watch them play/chew. When they finished up then she could have it. All of this was done with a careful eye so she didnt get a minute of backtracking in. Also the second she bites you submit, instantly. Put her on her back and lay across her chest with your fingers dug into her throat (not painful) in a way as if they are teeth. Dont let up until she has submitted and then wait about 3 or more minutes before getting up. When you let her up say nothing and dont acknowledge her at all. It took a long time and we all got bit a few times but eventually she got the rules down and now she is dang near perfect. Well as far as these issues go. :lol: Good luck and be firm. Keep the consistency up because just like kids if she gets away with it 1 time you have set yourself back days of hard work.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] has given great advise, I hope this doesn't happen anymore, if it doesn't get under control quickly, it can get way out of hand. Be careful around children.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is right; a basic obedience course can get u on the right path to being the pack leader. [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] has given you some awesome advice too.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is right: you cannot let this go. Even a little bit. Toy/Food aggression is genuinely dangerous (like [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said) and will only get worse unless you address the behavior.

Think about how one dog takes something from another dog when you are taking something from her that she shouldn't have. If you are the pack leader, she will know that you want whatever she has without saying a word. Dogs don't talk to each other, right? Yelling Drop That Jonsey and running at her and then pulling it out of her mouth has only made her react with more force - understandably so. Practice giving her things and taking them away and then giving them back again and then taking them away with as little talking as possible. This is a leadership exercise and there's a really good example of this very thing at work in the video "How to Raise The Perfect Dog". Mr. President the english bulldog and Cesar Millan work with a stuffed squirrel toy that the pup is being possessive of.

Patience is key. You cannot "hurry" leadership. You can do this!!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Here is the link to the thread I had started back when Miila started with her craziness. It has all the best advice you will need, honestly. I know this all sounds harsh if you are new to the thought of being a pack leader etc. I didnt get it until I had to and believe me it is life changing. Not only for you but for your pups also. Miila is so much happier now knowing where her place is and knowing that I am the one to protect and guide her thru what she needs. I truly at a point thought she needed to be rehomed and with this help and about 6 months of hard work and much patience she fits in the pack perfectly. Never a fight now and if anything just overly excited to play with the other 2 pups. Who at a time she wanted to eat. Catch the problem now and you will feel so much better, trust me on this. ;)
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...73-need-help-our-training-experts-please.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well all I can speak from is my experience with Miila. She was 1 when we got her and a total sweetheart. BUT she had to make her way in our pack and got more than feisty during the transition. Started biting me during feeding and when she wanted a toy, basically thinking she was in charge. Not on my watch... I got a LOT of help from many here and learned how to be the boss in ways I have never needed. !st thing I did was hand feed. Take a handful of her food at a time and sit with it in her hand. Basically teasing her showing that you are in charge of this and not her. When I was ready and she sat/stayed then I would have her do a trick like sit pretty, high five lay down etc before giving the handful. Did this for every feeding for a bit until I could see a change in her. Once I saw progress I would just start her feedings with a handful of being hand fed before allowing her to eat freely and then even still making her do tricks before eating when I stopped the hand feeding. Also make her take a break from eating 1 or 2 times (having her back up and sit and stay until you say she can eat again) once you stop hand feeding. Basically I felt like I was messing with her mind but it really worked. As for the toy issue I would take it and set it where you want and make her sit/stay in a place where she can see it and know that she cant have it until you give. Miila was attacking my other 2 pups for toys so I would take the toy from her when she had it and give it to them as if to show that they can have it whenever they want and she would just sit and watch them play/chew. When they finished up then she could have it. All of this was done with a careful eye so she didnt get a minute of backtracking in. Also the second she bites you submit, instantly. Put her on her back and lay across her chest with your fingers dug into her throat (not painful) in a way as if they are teeth. Dont let up until she has submitted and then wait about 3 or more minutes before getting up. When you let her up say nothing and dont acknowledge her at all. It took a long time and we all got bit a few times but eventually she got the rules down and now she is dang near perfect. Well as far as these issues go. :lol: Good luck and be firm. Keep the consistency up because just like kids if she gets away with it 1 time you have set yourself back days of hard work.

Perfect information!! Great job Jenn..... John - also, as others have said, submit her when she does this to ensure she knows you are the pack lead.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the site and need some help. Here s what's up. When jonesy gets something in her mouth that's she's not supposed to have and u try and take it from her she becomes very aggressive and downright mean. She recently bit me hard-drew blood. Any suggestions?:nonono:

Any update John? I know the boards get a bit confusing, and I'm still learning the ins and outs - I hope you get a notice that you've been quoted and can find your thread again :)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=5353]JohnS[/MENTION] OK HERE IS MY 2 CENTS Until you find a trainer Do not try to submit her . Instead try offering something better than what she has in her mouth and she if she will swap you. Tell her with confidence to drop it and show her the hotdog. Dont yell, just be assertive , a very firm drop it When she does and she will if you have a hot dog praise the heck out of her. Without any more background her reaction could be caused by 2 things being fear of you or displaying dominance. I gotta say if you don't know what you are doing and you try to force her down it can turn into a vicious bite and exacerbation the problem. I know a lot of people are huge into this alpha thing but truely it is done by confidence leadership and control of resources ie food toys and attention. I have worked with hundreds of dogs and have NEVER had to put "submit" any of them . Thi is why I HATE HATE HATE Cesar Milan . I have seen this go so so very wrong so many times to the point that a rescue dog had to be put down because the foster family screwed him up so badly the rescue felt he was now unsafe to adopt out.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online