Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonesy bit me-plz help!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jonesy
    Likes (Received)

Default Jonesy bit me-plz help!

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the site and need some help. Here s what's up. When jonesy gets something in her mouth that's she's not supposed to have and u try and take it from her she becomes very aggressive and downright mean. She recently bit me hard-drew blood. Any suggestions?

Real Name
    Kevin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Renzo
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jonesy bit me-plz help!

How old is Jonesy? How long have you had her? Is your home her first home besides the breeder's?

Without further information it's kinda hard to say. At it's surface it sounds like an Alpha issue to me, we can help you fix this, we just need some more info so we can give you the best possible solution.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice ~ Neil Peart

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

First of all..if you are feeling fearful of her, she has the upper hand and can sense she's the boss. You have to demand from her the respect and yes..fear..that right now she has over you. You need to make her submit to you . I'll get some people here to give you the best way to do this. This will be an ongoing lesson for her and you. Please hold on..while people get a chance to find this post. @2BullyMama...@Davidh..@Sherry...@Vicaroo1000

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

John I'm glad ya made it here ! (do I get extra credit for pointing him to this site?) LOL we WILL get Jonesy figured out
    Rick

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    John I'm glad ya made it here ! (do I get extra credit for pointing him to this site?) LOL we WILL get Jonesy figured out
    Rick

You get a referral ...whatever that's worth!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Rick
    You get bully bucks if he put your userid in at registration.

Obedience training would be the first step, have you done this already? It is important that your dog knows you are in charge. Also do you have any other family members in your house? It is very important that everyone gets involved with pack leadership.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

You have some good advise already, and I am curious like @Texkota asto how old and how long you have had her. Get enrolled in an obedience class, so she knows you are the boss, then work from there. I never let a dog get aggressive with any of my family members. You have to show no fear and be in charge. The class will show you this.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Well all I can speak from is my experience with Miila. She was 1 when we got her and a total sweetheart. BUT she had to make her way in our pack and got more than feisty during the transition. Started biting me during feeding and when she wanted a toy, basically thinking she was in charge. Not on my watch... I got a LOT of help from many here and learned how to be the boss in ways I have never needed. !st thing I did was hand feed. Take a handful of her food at a time and sit with it in her hand. Basically teasing her showing that you are in charge of this and not her. When I was ready and she sat/stayed then I would have her do a trick like sit pretty, high five lay down etc before giving the handful. Did this for every feeding for a bit until I could see a change in her. Once I saw progress I would just start her feedings with a handful of being hand fed before allowing her to eat freely and then even still making her do tricks before eating when I stopped the hand feeding. Also make her take a break from eating 1 or 2 times (having her back up and sit and stay until you say she can eat again) once you stop hand feeding. Basically I felt like I was messing with her mind but it really worked. As for the toy issue I would take it and set it where you want and make her sit/stay in a place where she can see it and know that she cant have it until you give. Miila was attacking my other 2 pups for toys so I would take the toy from her when she had it and give it to them as if to show that they can have it whenever they want and she would just sit and watch them play/chew. When they finished up then she could have it. All of this was done with a careful eye so she didnt get a minute of backtracking in. Also the second she bites you submit, instantly. Put her on her back and lay across her chest with your fingers dug into her throat (not painful) in a way as if they are teeth. Dont let up until she has submitted and then wait about 3 or more minutes before getting up. When you let her up say nothing and dont acknowledge her at all. It took a long time and we all got bit a few times but eventually she got the rules down and now she is dang near perfect. Well as far as these issues go. Good luck and be firm. Keep the consistency up because just like kids if she gets away with it 1 time you have set yourself back days of hard work.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

@cali~jenn has given great advise, I hope this doesn't happen anymore, if it doesn't get under control quickly, it can get way out of hand. Be careful around children.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

@Davidh is right; a basic obedience course can get u on the right path to being the pack leader. @cali~jenn has given you some awesome advice too.

@JAKEISGREAT is right: you cannot let this go. Even a little bit. Toy/Food aggression is genuinely dangerous (like @Sherry said) and will only get worse unless you address the behavior.

Think about how one dog takes something from another dog when you are taking something from her that she shouldn't have. If you are the pack leader, she will know that you want whatever she has without saying a word. Dogs don't talk to each other, right? Yelling Drop That Jonsey and running at her and then pulling it out of her mouth has only made her react with more force - understandably so. Practice giving her things and taking them away and then giving them back again and then taking them away with as little talking as possible. This is a leadership exercise and there's a really good example of this very thing at work in the video "How to Raise The Perfect Dog". Mr. President the english bulldog and Cesar Millan work with a stuffed squirrel toy that the pup is being possessive of.

Patience is key. You cannot "hurry" leadership. You can do this!!!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the link to the thread I had started back when Miila started with her craziness. It has all the best advice you will need, honestly. I know this all sounds harsh if you are new to the thought of being a pack leader etc. I didnt get it until I had to and believe me it is life changing. Not only for you but for your pups also. Miila is so much happier now knowing where her place is and knowing that I am the one to protect and guide her thru what she needs. I truly at a point thought she needed to be rehomed and with this help and about 6 months of hard work and much patience she fits in the pack perfectly. Never a fight now and if anything just overly excited to play with the other 2 pups. Who at a time she wanted to eat. Catch the problem now and you will feel so much better, trust me on this.
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ts-please.html

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Well all I can speak from is my experience with Miila. She was 1 when we got her and a total sweetheart. BUT she had to make her way in our pack and got more than feisty during the transition. Started biting me during feeding and when she wanted a toy, basically thinking she was in charge. Not on my watch... I got a LOT of help from many here and learned how to be the boss in ways I have never needed. !st thing I did was hand feed. Take a handful of her food at a time and sit with it in her hand. Basically teasing her showing that you are in charge of this and not her. When I was ready and she sat/stayed then I would have her do a trick like sit pretty, high five lay down etc before giving the handful. Did this for every feeding for a bit until I could see a change in her. Once I saw progress I would just start her feedings with a handful of being hand fed before allowing her to eat freely and then even still making her do tricks before eating when I stopped the hand feeding. Also make her take a break from eating 1 or 2 times (having her back up and sit and stay until you say she can eat again) once you stop hand feeding. Basically I felt like I was messing with her mind but it really worked. As for the toy issue I would take it and set it where you want and make her sit/stay in a place where she can see it and know that she cant have it until you give. Miila was attacking my other 2 pups for toys so I would take the toy from her when she had it and give it to them as if to show that they can have it whenever they want and she would just sit and watch them play/chew. When they finished up then she could have it. All of this was done with a careful eye so she didnt get a minute of backtracking in. Also the second she bites you submit, instantly. Put her on her back and lay across her chest with your fingers dug into her throat (not painful) in a way as if they are teeth. Dont let up until she has submitted and then wait about 3 or more minutes before getting up. When you let her up say nothing and dont acknowledge her at all. It took a long time and we all got bit a few times but eventually she got the rules down and now she is dang near perfect. Well as far as these issues go. Good luck and be firm. Keep the consistency up because just like kids if she gets away with it 1 time you have set yourself back days of hard work.

Perfect information!! Great job Jenn..... John - also, as others have said, submit her when she does this to ensure she knows you are the pack lead.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads