Teach puppy not to pull

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
How do I go about teaching my puppy not to pull? Since I want to use a harness (and harnesses promote pulling) how do I start teaching my puppy not to pull? Do I start with a collar and leash at 8weeks old? Cesar Millan is always stating to have the collar up high on the dogs neck when training...
What is the step by step approach on teaching my puppy not to pull before I start using the kong harness (which obviously has a rear attachment and definitely is bad for training purposes)

Thanks in advance!
_DSF1567.jpg

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
get a harness that you can attach the leash to in the front, that way when he pulls he will just get turned to the side instead of dragging you. You can also stop walking when he begins to pull so he understands if you pull you go no where

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
get a harness that you can attach the leash to in the front, that way when he pulls he will just get turned to the side instead of dragging you. You can also stop walking when he begins to pull so he understands if you pull you go no where

Great advice.

Myself, I would not use a harness UNTIL you and the dog has mastered the walk. Establish leadership with your pup long before you're out the door and you'll set you and your dog for a better walk. Visualize what you want the walk to look like BEFORE you even pick up that leash and head for the door. Successfully doing a series of leadership excercises on your way to the walk -- which is the reward - is important. There are many times in between the grabbing the leash and actually walking down the street where you can do this. I can promise you that the effort is worth your time and your dog will thank you for it!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Another trick I have learned is not to let them go out the door before you. Practice in the house first if you have to..Go to the door if they try to go through first...go back and start over.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
When I first started walking Abby she would try pull. I was afraid I was going to hurt her so I started walking with the leash behind my legs instead of out in front. That way she could only walk along side of me and if I stopped, she had to too. I didn't start walking again until she sat down. Now she's used to walking at my side and sits if I stop. It was easy.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've already been given great advice ...... good luck!! :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How do I go about teaching my puppy not to pull? Since I want to use a harness (and harnesses promote pulling) how do I start teaching my puppy not to pull? Do I start with a collar and leash at 8weeks old? Cesar Millan is always stating to have the collar up high on the dogs neck when training...
What is the step by step approach on teaching my puppy not to pull before I start using the kong harness (which obviously has a rear attachment and definitely is bad for training purposes)

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 22893

There is a harness made by Premier called the easy walker it prevents them from pulling worked real well with Banks

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online