Eating Everything

zenaida

Jun 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
coco
Hello I am a new EB owner. Coco is my 14 week old puppy and I have noticed several issues with her, and I'm not sure if this is normal or I'm just over reacting:cry:
1. Every time I take her outside she wants to eat everything I mean everything, from sticks to rocks to weeds, pretty much she can get her mouth on.
2. She is constantly trying to bit our toes, not in a aggressive way but it still hurts.
3. She keeps peeing in her crate . It's only big enough for her to comfortably fit in..
Any suggestions????? Thank you.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Hi and welcome!

1. Aubie does the same thing. Heck, some of our grown dogs have had a tendency to eat things they shouldn't outside. Just watch her close. We make sure Aubie has a lot of toys to chew on inside. Outside we correct her when she is chewing on things she shouldn't and bring her in right after doing her business if she doesn't listen.

2. Just being a puppy, but it is behavior you need to nip right now. Make sure that she knows the behavior is unacceptable. Use whatever your correcting noise is, whether it be a firm "NO" or whatnot. (We like to use "tsss" followed by a soft tap on the butt, and now Aubie knows that just the noise means to stop what she is doing) Then, redirect her to something she is allowed to chew on. Honestly, at first Aubie was a terror when it came to biting, but we made sure my boyfriend and I were on the same page and we stayed consistent. If she went into manic puppy mode and wouldn't listen, we simply rolled her on her side and "tsss"-d her when she tried to continue to bite. When she realized who was the boss and that she was going to stay until she calmed down, she calmed down and listened. But YOU have to be calm too; calm and assertive energy makes a huge difference! I realized that quickly when I noticed that if I was calm she calmed down much faster than if I was frustrated. Deep breaths... but it works! She tested us... OH did she test us... but she learned quickly. She still has her moments (she's only 12 weeks), but she listens pretty well now. You need to also make sure that she understands not to bite people, period. No playing with the hands, etc, because it will confuse her. Any little nip whether gentle or not needs to be corrected until she understands what is appropriate. Positive reinforcement of good behavior, calm assertive energy, and consistency are key.

3. Do you pick her water up a while before bed? How long is she in her crate that she pees in it? For instance, Aubie will be fine for 4 or 5 hours, but if she is in there for any more than that she goes to the bathroom. She goes out one last time at night at 10pm, I get up and let her out at 2am, and then she gets up for the morning at 6am. It sucks, but it is her schedule for now to help her know she is suppose to go outside. Once she is holding it longer during the day, I will stop the middle of the night potty breaks.

I know others will have great advice for you! This is just from what I'm learning with my Aubie... her sister Aubrey was easy to train, but this booger is giving me fits! I think she is pay back for having it easy before, LOL.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Your concerns are very familiar topics here at EBN! Use the search function for "new puppy" and I bet you find more posts than you can read on your three topics. hee hee My point: What's happening is very normal.

The "eating everything" is something to be concerned about. Puppy proofing your home is the first step. She will learn with time and your leadership, what not to chew on. For now, she's a puppy, she's teething to boot. Everytime she "tastes" something you don't want her to taste, disagree with the behavior and provide her with something "approved" to chew on. A frozen Kong with some peanut butter inside is a nice treat and welcome diversion for teething jaws.

Bo wasn't the errant chewer but Bea sure was. She had a fascination with grandma's dining room table so the aforementioned wasn't working. I ended up getting bitter apple spray, applying it in those spots where she would frequently "taste" and that "cured" it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:yes: I wish I could tell you they grow out of this eating stuff thing! But Jake can't be left alone with ANY inanimate object! Inside OR outside! :cursing: He has eaten towels...pillow shams..lots of cat toys..rubber indestructible kongs...the occasional brochure AND a cat scratcher! :eek: all this while maintaining his svelte figure! :D. Outside he turns his walk into short bursts of speed trying to grab a mouthful of ANYTHING and stay away from me! Sooooo...good luck with THAT!

Now..the biting DOES get better! :up:

:hmm: I suppose 50/50 isn't too bad!

Now..how about a proper :welcome: I hope you enjoy it here and I KNOW you will learn! Please do an intro post and introduce yourself and CoCo!!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I ended up getting bitter apple spray, applying it in those spots where she would frequently "taste" and that "cured" it.

My problem: Aubie Shug LIKES that spray for some reason. She will lick whatever I spray it on and when she's done licking, she chews it again. She's doing good though learning what not to chew, so it isn't a big deal.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't really add much more to what everybody else has already told you. I do feel your pain ... Linus eats anything and everything!! Daddy used to but seems to have FINALLY grown out of that stage!!

Daddy also peed and POOPED in his cage ... seemed quite happy to sit in it and throw it all over the sides of the crate. :down: He took the longest to fully house train out of any dog I have ever known ... but at last we're there!!! :yes:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My problem: Aubie Shug LIKES that spray for some reason. She will lick whatever I spray it on and when she's done licking, she chews it again. She's doing good though learning what not to chew, so it isn't a big deal.

Wow. That IS a problem. There's another one that tastes truly disgusting. And I mean that. I know because I got some on my fingers and was eating cantaloupe shortly afterward. Oh lordie but it's gRoSS! Maybe try that one? Its the cheaper version of the bitter apple stuff. I think I got it at PetSmart or something.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh the toes... Miila used to get under my daughters bed when I was changing her diaper and bite mine, ouch that was awful. She eventually outgrew that part thankfully. hahaha

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Can we use the bitter apple spray for a 9 week old puppy ? going through the same problem here :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Can we use the bitter apple spray for a 9 week old puppy ? going through the same problem here :)

Bitter apple spray is really good and it is harmless. Just don't get it in puppies eyes. This post is great as I get to boast :jumpdance: about Dublin. Other than puppy chewing phase ( used bitter apple and she would run when she saw the bottle :D) she doesn't chew on anything that is not given to her. She chews on my husbands shoes with his feet in them but that is because he allows her when i'm not looking:nonono:
I do feel very lucky about that, but they all have their own "things
we have to deal with.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.