how to stop/control roughness with my children

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Hi recent incident. My children (ages 5 & 7) were in the backyard putting some shovels away and Gator decided to charge at my son biting and pouncing on him... My son was tellinghim No over n over until gator knocked him over some bricks, he started crying from getting hurt by the bricks and gator biting his legs.... No worries my son is ok his leg is scratched up a lil blood drops... But now my son doesn't like him and i don't want him to end being afraid of Gator. Now i'm very firm with Gator when i tell him no and he'll stop. How do i get him to undertand my kids are as much as in charge as we are?????

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You have to establish a pack order ... a hierarchy in other words. Where you and your kids are at the top of the food chain and he is at the bottom. The best way to do that is at feeding times. Let your children put the food down to feed him, and then every few moments get them to pick the bowl calmly up again. Gator cant' have the bowl back until the children decide ... and if Gator follows the "sit" command then you can help them with it. Gator doesn't get the bowl back until he sits .... and you can do this as often as you like. That should help develop the chain of command. It doesn't sound as if Gator was being mean or vicious, just that he got over excited. Unfortunately, a child shouting and screaming in a high pitched voice can just come across as excited encouragement to a dog that is already in full play mode!!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
OH goodness, this story is too familiar.. It happened to me with Aldo and my girls, exactly like you describe.. Aldo would charge at them and jump, biting, nipping until he got them on the ground and would literally climb onto them to continue. I at that point had the hardest time getting him (And Katara would join in too) off the girls.. It has been a rough few months with a lot of training to claim my daughters and establish trust and respect toward me.. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] has given you great advice.. have your children give them treats, have Gator wait for his meals in a sit or down position until your kids release the command.. Have kids pick up plate in the middle of feeding session. Let them hand feed if necessary.. Have the kids join on walks, kids always walk front of Gator, or leveled, Gator is not allowed to pass them. I also lay my dogs on their back or side, and have my girls stand next to them or kneel next to them so they understand they have to be submissive with the girls.. I also supervise all playing sessions and try to keep them indoors together to prevent extreme over excitement from all four of them.. My journey is not over with them.. until the kids calm down a bit (6 and 2 yr old) and the dogs mature a bit more things will completely improve (or they might never fully be able to be unsupervised).. there are a lot of members here that can help you, I have received so much help from these wonderful friends during my difficult time with the dogs and the kids... I still struggle with my dogs fighting occasionally but things have improved so much I am forever grateful.. these are some of the ppl that helped me
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION] [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and there are more but it has slipped my mind.. please pm me if you need more info from my situation...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great advice here. Involving your kids in the daily dog duties will go a long way toward this effort even if they are just helping you.

From Cesarsway:
Establish your position as pack leader by asking your dog to work. Take him on a walk before you feed him. And just as you don't give affection unless your dog is in a calm-submissive state, don’t give food until your dog acts calm and submissive. exercise will help the dog, especially a high-energy one, to achieve this state.

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the advice we tried it this mornin and my daughter made him sit there for awhile and we definitely have some work ahead of us

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Let me know how it goes [MENTION=5053]lakermarie[/MENTION] keep us posted.. we are in this together!! both our kids and our pups need to find their place..

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks for the advice we tried it this mornin and my daughter made him sit there for awhile and we definitely have some work ahead of us

Some days it will feel as if you have taken two steps back ... but don't give up because it will be so worth it in the end :yes: :up:

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no I'm determined to get this down_!! I'm also teaching him how to "leave it" but we're goin for a walk tonight when the ground cools off cuz its 111 out today ¦/

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I have no words of wisdom to offer but we as Ana stated we are all here for you!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=5053]lakermarie[/MENTION] ... you have rec'd some excellent advice... follow these steps, be consistent and stay strong. It takes a LOT of time, but in the end it is oh so worth it.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
How do i get him to undertand my kids are as much as in charge as we are?????

Since Gator is just a pup really, you've a golden opportunity to fix this once and for all. Involving your children in the dogs care is a great way to establish leadership with the children. Feeding time, "performing" for a treat ("sit", "down", this is all work to a dog), and "the walk" are all avenues for your children to exhibit leadership skills with the dogs. Teaching kids how to behave around excitable puppies -- or just dogs in general really --- is another important thing. Like Kazzy mentioned, that high pitched squealing / screaming? An invitation to trouble. There's a time and place for that, I suppose - but it's not around an excited / excitable pup.

That also means that the relationship between dog and human child must also be FAIR. If whacking the dog with a pillow is fun to a child -- it's certainly gets a reaction, right? -- then it's not the dog's fault when he goes ape-crazy on the kid. (I saw this very recently on that show with the guy in NY that helps people with their dogs. Incredible how stupid some humans are.)

Kids can absolutely be pack leaders! It would be a shame for a child to be afraid of dogs. Healthy respect? Yes. But I think "fear" would rob them of a wonderful relationship experience.

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm very fair of. Who's at fault and what the kids are.or were doin to provoke him. My daughter walked him for a few blocks and she did a wonderful job of leading him and correcting him! She also helps feed him and my son helps with treats

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm very fair of. Who's at fault and what the kids are.or were doin to provoke him. My daughter walked him for a few blocks and she did a wonderful job of leading him and correcting him! She also helps feed him and my son helps with treats

That's great!! :up:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names

Awesome!

shawna

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Basil
Excellent advice with the feeding. As soon as we got our bully, our kids (ages 3 and 5) were feeding him, and sitting there playing with his food while he ate (hands in the bowl). They would also take it away, and give it back. Basil is quite submissive, but every once in awhile he would try to get ahead of the pack with the kids. He now knows that when we are leaving the house, he has to sit and wait, and be the last to leave and come in again. He cannot sit on the steps above the kids while they put on their shoes. The kids can take away his favourite toys and antlers without a problem. He listens to them well inside the house, but we have to work on his listening outside, and his manners on a leash. In time! Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.