She just wont stop instigating fights with him...

MsKfernandez

Dec 21, 2011
San Jose, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy Lou and The Chunk-a-dunk-a-lis
Hi everyone :)

I am having a problem with dog fighting. We have a 14 mo old rescue, Lucy, who we've had for 5 months as an only dog. She was not socialized at all by the original owner. We have really tried but she is SO aggressive and SO strong we have had to keep a prong collar on her anytime we go somewhere that there might be another dog because she will rip your arm off trying to get at it. She is perfectly well behaved in all other aspects and we have worked with a trainer as well, so we have had no other problems with her.

We introduced a new dog to the pack about 8 days ago, Chunk, who is the most laid back easy going guy you'll every meet. He is awesome with her... he is just awesome in general. He apparently has lived with other dogs his whole life because he seems pro at dealing with her little "issues."

We originally introduced them at the park and we just did a "walk by" no eye contact, no physical contact...and she went crazyyyy. She acted like she wanted to kill him. We kept them completely isolated from each other for the next 4 days, we alternated having one in our bedroom at a time hoping she'd get used to his scent. We got to the point that she could walk by him in the house unaffected. So then we brought them both out into the same area and it was going great. Then she just HAD to be a little jerk face and made this little snappy bark at him and he went after her. They don't bite each other they do that "mouthing" thing and make a crap load of noise. She ends up submissing and he will walk circles around her staring her down. Then she will make that threatening noise again and it will start all over. If we keep their (well her mostly) attention away from each other they do OK but she always has to start something with him.

I realize its still very early in the process and we have made pretty good progress so far I just wonder if anyone has any feedback. Am I rushing this? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to go about it? Any suggestions? I watch her body language when she's around him so I can correct her when I see she's about to instigate, but sometimes I'm just not quick enough. Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

jennis2613

Jan 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba,Mimi, Arie, Stella and Chloe
I am by no means an expert but I have had Bulldogs for a very long time and have five now (3 females - 2 males). We do have an occasional disagreement but from what you're describing that is how mine play. The mouthing and the noise, oh how they can make some noise, that sounds like they're killing each other. Bulldogs, at least mine, play very rough.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All I can say is to continue doing exactly what you are doing now. I don't believe there is a set plan you can follow as every situation is different. You just need to continue to watch them and work at it. I'm really praying and hoping that you have success with this!! Just don't give up because I can guarantee that at some points it is going to seem very frutstrating!!! Come here and vent whenever you need to!!! :hug:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I agree with [MENTION=4029]jennis2613[/MENTION]. What you are describing sounds like play. Although they can get so excited while playing that some bully can get hurt too from what I've read. No experience here because HRH is an only Princess.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
When mine play they make a whole lot of noise. sometimes all at once. They will pin each other and even hang onto each others neck skin, but never any punctures and I know they are not fighting, they eat and sleep together, they also play hard together. If you have found teeth marks or puncture wounds, that's a fight. Keep doing what you are doing , calmly and in control. They are in YOUR house. Don't let them forget it. Own it! Calmly

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
You said she wasn't socialized at all when you got her? Did she ever calm down with other dogs? Do you have an off leash dog park near you? Sometimes dogs are more aggressive on the leash. It's tough to say in this situation. If she is always this way with other dogs, it will prob take a lot of discipline! Have you taken them in walks together? Gods luck with your tough situation! It's goita be frustrating!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, they are just playing. When they get too loud put a stop to it and they will eventually get it. It is good for them to play together as long as they don't get too rough. When a bully fights and gets mad, they don't stop and someone is going to get hurt. Keep doing what your doing and stay the pack leader.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Not trying to be mean but..what made you decide to get another dog when she is always so aggressive with other dogs? It's gotta be super stressful!!!!

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
When Gracie and Cooper play it sounds like they are fighting, but they are not. They just play rough....they will fight over a bone or I should say Gracie will, Coop will just give in to her all the time. Some times we do have to yell HEY...they will stop. They are both 10 months old and are litter mates.

OP
M

MsKfernandez

Dec 21, 2011
San Jose, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy Lou and The Chunk-a-dunk-a-lis
This is absolutely 100% not playing. HE may believe they are playing. Is it possible to post a video here? She does not "playfully" approach him. As to why we would get another dog.... I am not the type of person to sit back and watch a dog (or anything for that matter) in need, abandoned and neglected and do nothing when I know I have the space the money and the time to help. Waiting around for the "perfect" situation means life or death for some of these dogs and that's not something I'm willing to live with. Knowing a beautiful sweet loving amazing dog died because circumstances weren't "just right" for us. No thanks.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
watson plays like that too. alot of mouthing and noises but no real bites. I thought it was just him but I guess this is what bulldogs do.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This is absolutely 100% not playing. HE may believe they are playing. Is it possible to post a video here? She does not "playfully" approach him. As to why we would get another dog.... I am not the type of person to sit back and watch a dog (or anything for that matter) in need, abandoned and neglected and do nothing when I know I have the space the money and the time to help. Waiting around for the "perfect" situation means life or death for some of these dogs and that's not something I'm willing to live with. Knowing a beautiful sweet loving amazing dog died because circumstances weren't "just right" for us. No thanks.

If you upload your video to youtube and make sure the link is public ... you can then put the link in this thread! :up:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yes you can post a video. That would be helpful! You Tube works well for posting. But some also have used fluke and photo bucket.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

I can tell the difference between EB playing and NOT playing by the energy between the dogs. Sometimes, they really are making a NOISY FUSS - but they are just playing. It sounds like you know exactly what that difference is for your two pups --- since all dogs are different, that 's important. You sound like a very aware dog parent. I'd just say keep disagreeing with the behavior that you don't want while letting the dogs establish the hierarchy of their relationship. There are bound to be noisy scuffles --- sometimes VERY noisy-- but loud doesn't mean "fight"; the energy is different.

Bea and Bo can really go to town --- or rather, sound like they are --- when they play this game where Bea has the toy and Bo wants it. Bea WANTS Bo to try and get it and he's all too happy to oblige. The problem is that he's bigger than her and most often wins. ha ha She don't like to lose! So that can be kind of noisy...and it might freak other people out that aren't used to that play. I disagree with that behavior when company is about or when I don't want to listen to that nonsense. ha ha

Maybe you can divert their collective attention with some leadership exercises? If you are indeed the pack leader, they have no reason to squabble over the top position. Using a scrap over a toy is a great avenue for this. I take the toy and "own it". I put it between my feet or on my lap (where they can get ahold of it - but do not allow it) and I don't let them have it. "Mine" is the word I use. It's a great leadership exercise. Keep walking them together while YOU maintain pack leadership. Really and truly, the walk is where the magic happens, I think. :-)

Thanks for being a part of rescue too. <3

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.