Crate Training

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I know this has been asked a million times, butI wanted to start my own thread. First, I want to let everyone know how well Lola is doing! She has not had one accident in the house, and she last night she slept the whole night in her crate without waking up to go potty! I don't know if it will happen every night, but I was one proud daddy this morning.

So, here is my question. We try to make the crate her home. We have her blanky in there, we have a couple chew toys, and her favorite chew toy. However, she does not like going in there. When she does, she whines and barks and crys (we ignore) but sometimes it is for a long time! Now, my wife and I work during the week. I am able to go home on my lunch break to feed her and let her out, and she is crated for bed and such.

The crate we have is fairly small. Lola is only 8 1/2 weeks, and so we have a small crate (big enough for her to come in and out, turn around, and have room... but could that be the problem? Could it be too SMALL of a crate? Should we get something bigger? I am really looking into getting a wire/adjustable crate so it she can see everything. We were going to wait a little bit before doing it, but I think I better look harder now. Any comments appreciated!

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy cried in her crate at first too...don't worry too much she'll settle..she's like any baby, put them down and they cry. She will feel safer in a smaller crate and you will have less accidents too. Just hang in there daddy it does get easier I promise...then you get a heap load of other worries. But we'll chat about them later :ROFL:

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi,

It's a process we did get a large crate for Bongo one for his adult size. We're in the sames situation both work but both come home on lunches to feed them and let them out for awhile. Bongo cried for about 3 nights then that was it. We used treats to coax him in and we so now when it's bed time we just have to say bed time and he goes and sometimes he gets a treat but sometimes he doesn't. If you go with a bigger crate it will make housebreaking a night go longer bongo is 5 months and we need our sleep so we did not get up a night to take him out we had 3/4 of his crate was bedding and the other 1/4 was a pee pad. He did a great job and held it for as long as he could but we just recently have been waking up to a mess free bed and he's 5 months. That's the price you pay for not waking up at night with them but it worked out. Remember someone here told me they can only hold it for 1 hour per month old +one. So bongo is 5 months old and he's holding it at night for almost 7 hours.

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
I have a standard medium-sized crate for Brembo, who's 15weeks. It has a wire divider so I can make the crate bigger as he grows.

Currently, the divider is ALMOST to the middle of the crate (i just expanded it), but I am going to hold it there until I notice he's significantly bigger. I think you should purchase something similar. By the time Brembo is fully crate/house trained, I'll take out the divider and let him use the whole thing as his home...this way I do not have to keep buying more crates, LOL.

Brembo recently learned to speak and he's been hollering so much when he's in his crate that I too worry that I am putting him in there for too long. I work full time and so does my girlfriend, but I'm able to have a relative go over there for about 2 hours a day during lunch-time. They said that puppies sleep around 20 hours a day, but mine seems to have a LOT of trouble settling down, LOL.

Any other members with advice?

OP
Deevod

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=4822]ajwhitt44[/MENTION]- I actually follow almost all of your posts because we go through the same things :) I am going to look for an adjustable wire crate today. I think that she will do better in it because she can see everything.

She did have her first accident in her crate today :\

I guess I will be patient (Have NONE) and know that we are doing it right :D

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
[MENTION=5012]lolaiamyourfather[/MENTION], I'm glad you see my posts! I am always worried I type TOO much but I figure someone else may be going through something similar. I didn't realize people actually read what I type. :ROFL:

I know the pet stores have the crates or <$100. I actually paid a little more because I have a severe problem NOT spoiling my boy.

As for the accidents, they happen. It's usually your fault more than theirs, as they don't know any better. Just make sure you understand THEIR bathroom routine so you can help it.

It took me more than a couple times to figure out that Brembo likes to poop almost immediately after eating. I used to wait 10-20min as all the books said, but OH BOY were they incorrect :laugh::laugh:

By the way, is your name an obvious Star Wars reference? LOL.

Last edited:
OP
Deevod

Deevod

May 30, 2012
Idaho
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Haha! I have a hard time spoiling our baby is well. Totally bought way to Mich when we brought her home.

I do actually blame myself for the accident. I just made sure she knew it was her home and i would take her next time.

Star wars.... no reference at all :)

Sent from my cell phone.... please disregard any spelling errors. Thank you. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.