15 weeks tomorrow - The barking has begun

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
DUN DUN DUNNN

My god where did this high pitched, shrieking, maniacal noise COME FROM?!

I don't think I need advice on this one, but please give me any suggestions.

BREMBO has discovered he has a voice. "Oh look, what's that? I can speak!!", he says. Me? I have never heard such a noise come out of a thing so small. I told him yesterday he needs to hurry up and hit puberty because he won't get any girls with that Justin Beiber voice :ROFL:

Anyway... The barking seems to come in the evening night, any time between 6 and 10pm. He doesn't eat dinner until 8:30, so if he's crated and awake any time before or after that he barks and barks. We ignore him completely and eventually he stops. He also sometimes has a little crazy fit around this time which I've read is kinda common lol.

So my question is, is this normal? And are we doing the right thing by ignoring it? His crate is positioned so that he can see us sometimes if we're up and moving, but if we're sitting either on the couch or at the kitchen table, he can't see us. So when he barks, we make sure he can't see us and if we're in view, we have our back turned to him.

It seems really sad. Some people said you can teach the dog to speak on command by using reverse psychology... By teaching him 'Speak', you can also teach him 'Enough'.

I'm havign a hard time figuring out when to say 'Enough', as I don't want to give him the attention he seems to be craving? :laugh:

Any and all advice is thanked in advance!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When mine bark for no reason I tell them to stop. He is still a pup and wants attention.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yeah we had crazy eyes/barkingat 8-10 pm. you might want to consider feeding him earlier, then letting him get the energy out early

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
His squeeky girl barking voice should deepen with age. Wilson had a very high pitch bark and he also sqwuaks like a big. He has his big dog bark now. :up: Oh he's 16ish months now. Wilson barks when he plays or when he's laying upside down and wants SOMEONE to pay him some attention. :laugh:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Yes the barking in his crate is normal. I think as long as he's on a feeding schedule that's consistent 8:30 is fine. It is usually good to feed a bit early if you're going to bed too during that time, he'll need to digest. Is he crated when you're home? The 6-10 has me confused a bit. Barking is either attention, security, or they just like to bark, but mostly attention & security. You may want to put a sheet over his crate. That helped with Wilson when we retired for the night. His crate was right by my side of the bed so if he whined at all, I put my hand down so he could touch it and would you believe off to sleep he went - they just want to know you're there. :)

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Is he crated when you're home? The 6-10 has me confused a bit.

Jeannie,

As he's only 1.5 weeks in on housetraining / crate training, he is crated for most of the time whether we're home or away; pretty much whenever we can't give him our full attention, he's crated.

I give him about a 1/2hr of play time whenever he poops and pees, and this seems to control any mistakes.

If he only pees and I let him back in and play, often I find he will circle and poop after awhile.

So I think I'm giving him enough attention and exercise, I am just not positive.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe you want to try putting a leash on him and having him do some "work" with you, outside the crate? (Work meaning following your directions) That way, you can monitor his behavior closely and establish good behavior and positive routines outside of the crate too. Maybe he's just bored / not stimulated enough mentally and as such, not tired enough to really rest when he goes back in the crate?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.