My 6 mos old female bully still isn't potty trained...help!

mamacass325

Jun 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gladstone
We got our girl at 8 weeks old, so we've had her for over 3 mos. We started potty training her from day one and she never had frequent accidents. We also hung a bell by the backdoor only a couple weeks after we got her. For the longest time she did very well, only occasionally having an accident if I wasn't paying close enough attention. Then she got to where her only accidents were right next to the backdoor, which was also a good sign. But lately, she's been having 5 or so accidents per day. She'll go to the door and just squat, never making a sound to let us know. . .she pees and poops.
We pay attention, but sometimes she's just being curious or getting into cat food, etc. I jump up and find she's not even near the back door. I also take her out very often to prevent her having one. But it's getting worse and I'm not sure why. We've never gotten angry, but instead use the positive enforcement we were taught by our trainer and by reading books/forums. She's always praised when she goes in the yard too. But lately I'm having more trouble keeping calm. When will this end? I know they're harder to train, but is this normal?

We have no other major issues. She loves her crate and has never had an accident in it, she chews but is getting much better at listening when we tell her no. She's calmer now too, sleeping more often, etc. So the potty training is key and my final stress.

Thanks so much!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I would start fom scratch..just like when she was new! Leash her to you and don't let her have free reign. I would forget the bell..it's up to you to watch her and take her out every 20 to 30 minutes..after eating..drinking and playing. If she's with you all the time..you have no choice but to see what she is doing! When she goes praise her like she's the Queen bee that she is! :D. It won't take long..she's showing teenage rebellion and if you don't correct it and train her right, you could really have a huge problem! Good Luck and you can do this..no problem! :up:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I would keep her in her crate for longer periods of time as well and out to potty; then if she goes outside then she can play in the house.. If she doesnt then back to the crate an back out in 15 min. This is how I trained mine.. No bell at all though. They dont like to soil their bedding so use that to your advantage..

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Have you had her checked for a UTI? If she was doing that well and suddenly stopped that might be a cause. If the urinalysis is negative then yeah, sorry, you're going to have to start all over :(

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
We also went through a bout a teenage potty rebellion with Rook. We did just like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] suggested and went back to square one and nipped it in the bud. It didn't take long for Rook to get back on track.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
well. Bubba had a difficult time with potty training. Every dog that i have had prior...trained in a couple of weeks. Bubba..he took approx 6 months! It wasn't that he didn't know; he just did it because he was stubborn..I think. I would take him out..he woulc come in..look at me and squat to pee. He would run soon after he started>>.he knew he wasn't supposed to! I was soo frustrated! all of a sudden..he stopped and never has done anything since! have patience..they do have a stubborn streak! I have heard most bullies are better at potty training...Bubba...was a challenge. Now..I almost have to push him to go outside. he is about 1 1/2 yrs right now

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm having the same trouble with my 6 month old little guy. He has the ability to let himself outside to pee but chooses not to. This gets compounded by the fact that my husband and I both work full time so the hour-on-the-hour method is only good so long as we're home. I feel like everything we do at night gets undone during the day. Has anyone had these problems and then have a turnaround about the time they got their pup neutered/spayed?

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Otis is pretty good but he will go through phases when he has to go but when I bring he out he wont even venture down the stairs. I either pick him up and stay outside until he goes or go back in and try again about 5 or so minutes later.

I normally do not wait for him to let me know, I do the 20 - 30 minute rule no matter what.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, she is just a rebellious teenager, start from scratch and before you know it, she will be back on track.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would consider a UTI but also keep in the back of your mind that it often is 2 steps forward and 1 step back!!!

We were fairly average when it came to house training all our dogs except for Daddy who took AGES!!!! He must have been 8 months when he stopped pooping in his cage. Then he only recently stopped peeing on his bedding when he was 18 months!!!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, she is just a rebellious teenager, start from scratch and before you know it, she will be back on track.

The scratch they are talking about truly is BACK TO SCRATCH like a wee puppy. If your six month old dog is peeing in the house, it's NOT house trained and never was. Go WAY BACK to basics and start from zero.

Housetraining a dog is a pain in the *** at first but that quality time spent in the beginning and being truly ON IT, will save time, frustration and you'll have a happier dog in the long term. And certainly happier PAWRENTS, right? hee hee Stick with it. Google the topic and four bazillion websites will pop up. You aren't the first or last folks to have this issue! It will get better!

Members online

No members online now.