Ugh - Crate Training Setbacks - 14 weeks

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Hi all,

My 14-week old male, Brembo, has been a joy for the past 5 days I've had him.

I've been crating him diligently each day, bringing him out after naps and feedings.

He's only had one accident on my watch which I was able to catch and correct :whew:

The problem: my girlfriend has not been watching him like a hawk when I am at work. She brings Brembo outside to potty and when bringing him inside (on occasion sometimes he does not go), does not crate him and does not always watch him super closely.

This has resulted in 3 peeing accidents over the last 3 days. She insists she's sorry and will do better with crating him. As she's missed correcting this behavior in the act, she does not punish him (which is the correct thing to do) because he won't know why he's being punished.

My question is, how bad are these setbacks? Will consistent crating allow him to better understand to go outside, or is he going to continue going in the house because he feels relief and no punishment?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Consistency is the best if you can get all household members on board in my opinion (which is easier said than done! LOL) Maybe just explain to her how important it is for him to learn this while he is young. Good luck with him, he's a cutie!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: Well I suppose putting the girlfriend in the crate probably won't work! :ROFL: But..consistency is the WHOLE thing! By letting up he is getting mixed messages. You both need to have same routine and she needs to focus!! It won't take long..but by not being consistent she will make his training harder and longer!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Thanks so much guys. You pretty much confirmed what I said to her earlier.

her problem is that when the crate is within eyesight and she's trying to unpack (we just moved), she can't take his sad eyes and lets him out of the crate.

I told her, "if you have to do something, anything, and are not able to watch him like a hawk, crate him". She now is finally starting to understand that the dog won't be 'mad' at her for doing this, but she's playing to his emotions too much for sure.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola loves her crate! and so will brembo :) it's not punishment, its their little puppy cave! maybe she can give him a kong with peanut butter when the sad eyes come out just to make sure he's occupied for a little bit of time...enough to get her eyes back to unpacking :)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Maybe she would feel better if Brembo had something to play with while he was crated? A stuffed toy or a chew toy...that way when she is busy he will be involved in something and she won't feel like she has made him a prisoner in his crate. The kong toys that you can put food inside are great and would probably keep the little guy busy enough so gf won't feel bad if she has stuff she needs to get done.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Indeed, the KONG has been our best friend!! I need to reiterate that to her!

Thanks again

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Maybe she would feel better if Brembo had something to play with while he was crated? A stuffed toy or a chew toy...that way when she is busy he will be involved in something and she won't feel like she has made him a prisoner in his crate. The kong toys that you can put food inside are great and would probably keep the little guy busy enough so gf won't feel bad if she has stuff she needs to get done.

Haha I actually feel bad because sometimes I have TOO many toys in there and Brembo isn't able to stretch out and sleep!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I agree "routine routine routine".. they were our breeders last words to us and honest to God.. Duke is going to be 5 and I think he maybe has had 4 accidents.. we got up the same time each day let him out etc until he was fully trained. he would have accidents in his crate ( to be expected ) but over all he was trained VERY quickly. . and we both followed this routine.. just explain to her that he will be the one that benefits !

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I fell victim to the sad bully eyes too, just like your girlfriend! I felt guilty keeping him in his crate, if I was home. I quickly learned that if I had something to do, and couldn't give him 100% of my attention, accidents quickly followed so the crate was the best/safest place for him. There is definitely a learning curve to having a bully! :)

Most Reactions