Crate vs Outdoor playpen

Oogie

Jun 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oogie
Hello. New here to the site. Been poking around for the past week and decided to post. I'm expecting my bulldog pup in about 2 weeks. He will be 10 weeks old and his name is Oogie. My concern is house training and potty training.

I bought a wire crate with a panel divider for the times when I'm not home. I don't have a backyard but have an area at the side of the house measuring around 12 feet long and 4 feet wide made up of concrete. There's also about a foot of dirt area on the side which runs the entire 12 feet length. It's confined with a gate. The entrance door to this area is through the garage. What I'm thinking about doing is putting a doggy door on that door so he has access to the outside area for potty purposes now and when he's grown. I'm currently planning to push the wire crate up against the doggy door so that when he steps out of the crate, he'd be outside. I plan on feeding him in his crate twice daily, at 7am and 3pm and plan on taking his water away at 8.

My question is, does everyone here think that this is a good setup? I want him to be able to rest and sleep in his crate and be able to hop outside to potty or stretch his legs. My concern is that when he goes out, he'll end up sleeping outside and won't come back in his crate. Should I limit the size of the outside area at first? Or should I just setup a playpen in the garage connected to his crate. Once he's older and housebroken, My intention is to leave the garage door open from inside the house and he can just go through the doggy door to potty. I leave for work at 10am and will come home for lunch at 3pm. He will be in his crate in my bedroom during the night.

Sorry for the novel length post but I do appreciate any feedback.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I like the idea if it weren't a bulldog baby. Bulldogs r so heat sensitive that I would worry he would stay out and over heart, being so young. Maybe a laundry room out bathroom with tile floor and puppy pads would be a good idea? Haven't actually had s bulldog puppy so no help really but congrats on your new edition! Be ready to post many pics!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Heat was my first thought, too, as I read your post. Even the garage will probably be too hot for your bulldog and you never want to leave them outside unsupervised, since these guys are quickly overcome by heat stroke. Theft is also another issue. Bulldogs are very popular and are often stolen if left unattended. House training does take time, patience and a constant routine. I also think that crate training makes house training easier, because it encourages bowel and bladder control, as they (usually) do not want to soil their bed. Your baby may need pee pads for a few months, but 10 to 3 is not too long to be crated between potty breaks. My guy usually just goes back to sleep every morning when I leave for work (7:30) and when I return for potty break (12:30), I walk in and his is just waking up again.

I'm so glad that you found EBN. Read all you can now so that you are ready for your new baby. All the wonderful members' posts and suggestions have been very helpful to me and will also help you along the way. Please post pictures when your new baby gets home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
One more thought... As a baby he really needs to be fed more frequently because his tummy is smaller. I'd suggest 7am, 3pm, (since that when you come back for break) and then @ 7 pm. My dog does and has always pooped within 5 minutes after eating, so that part of house training was very easy. Hopefully your guys will be just as regular :) . I didn't go to twice a day feeding until Tank was 5 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
O

Oogie

Jun 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oogie
I live out in Washington State so we tend to be cooler than most. I also live by the water with trees surrounding my house so we get limited sunshine. In the summertime we do get a little hot but nothing too extreme. I feel leaving him in the crate from 10-3 And then again from 4-9pm is too much crate time and he'll for sure soil in his den. Which is why i want to give him an option to go out to his potty area then come back in to rest. I can section off a 4 feet by 4 feet area for him once he come out his doggy door to limit him wandering and just do his business and go back in his crate. As far as the outside area goes, there's nothing out there but concrete and the dirt area which I probably will try to place grass.

This is the first time I've really studied hard to make house training a success. Please feel free to express your opinions and recommendations.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well first off welcome to the site and I'm so glad you did. As you may have just saved your babies life. Letting a bully especially a bully puppy on its own in the heat he will die, plan and simple. They will go out there and sun, get hot and will not want to get up to come back in and die of heat stroke. You may find people who say they let theirbullies use doggie doors and everything is OK, but they have just gotten lucky if they live where it gets hot. I know there will be someone on here that says they let theirs do that, and if you are at home all day and can monitor them it's OK, but never leave one to do it on his own. Plus do not leave him in the garage all day, it will get too hot in there. I suggest crate training him, it makes house training a little easier. Use a room in your house that you can set up the crate in and if you have tile you can also use a play pin and crate together. Puppy pad help until the pup decides he wants to play with them and chew them up. It will happen. Plus I would feed him 3 times a day until about 5 or 6 months of age. Never restrict water from your pup either. We let them have water in their crates 24-7. Do some more research on the breed before you get your pup and make sure a bully is right for you and your life style. Bully pups are a lot of work but well worth it all, and will pay you back 10 fold in love.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The problem with most bulldogs is they don't know when to stop sunbathing. They are like kids at the park on a cool day. Even tho it is not hot out you call them in 30 minutes and their faces are beet red and they need a drink. As a parent you watch and make them drink, if you don't they will just keep going. Bullies are the very same. Yes at first they may or may not mess in the crate, but they learn as they go.

I also have a friend in oregon lose their dog to overheating when it was 68 out.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Please check out this website..it helped me so much when Jake was new..and it has articles and help for all stages of his life!
imagegif

its Dog Owners Guide..online magazine

www.canismajor.com

Look up housebreaking and crate training.

And David gave you very wise advice...

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
A fellow Washingtonian! Welcome!

A secondary concern for me would be theft.

As cool as it is here - particularly on the coast - you wouldn't EVER think that over-heating would be a problem. Even in a shaded kennel. And on most days here, you are right -- but a great deal of that depends also on the dog itself. Bea can stay out in the sun far longer than Bo. She's in and out of her pool - icy cold water - and drinking it like crazy. Bo -- even with his white, sun-reflective fur --- will go out and sunbathe and not know when to come in. Even when there's shade available -- lots of it ---he'll sit right in the sun and start what I call "Manic Panting". Time to come in. Actually, it's time to come in before he gets to that stage -- but you get the drift. If my backyard was all shade, it might be different for him --- but the doggie yard is all grass. Concrete traps and HOLDS heat. I speculate that it would be like a cooker top.

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is right. Thank you for asking about this. You may have saved your dog's life.

Glad you are here with us! Do you have pics of the new pup yet? We are picture crazy! Don't hold back man! :lmao:

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
It sounds like a good setting for a grown up bully (apart from the heat issue), but a baby-bully should be inside and supervised most of the time. Bullies are not like other dogs, especially for the first few months they need lots and lots of attention (and then also :tease:). I would put his crate inside and try to train him with the "every-hour-out-method" so that he learns quickly what is outside and what is inside. But please don't overwhelm him, we had a perfect plan like yours before Ulysses joined us last year, read lots of books and researched all what we could. So when we finally got him we wanted to get him trained asap, and kinda forgot he was just a baby. So my advice is use the first few weeks to get him comfortable and bond with him, cuddle a lot and give him lots of love so that he feels home. He will eventually learn, just FYI it took Ulysses 10 months to stop peeing inside the house, and I've read lots of people here have had the same issue, I think it just takes longer for a bully. Oh and feeding him only twice a day is not a good idea, his little belly will probably get upset. If you can you should divide his food into 3 or 4 portions a day for the first weeks and then slowly feed him less times. I'm sorry for the long post but I know how hard it can be at the beginning. Congratulations and good luck!

Last edited:
OP
O

Oogie

Jun 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oogie
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I will update you all in a few weeks once I have him home.

Most Reactions