Car rides

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hey all,
We do a lot of traveling with Tonka on the weekends. He sits on the back seat in the truck with his harness on attached to a leash/ seatbelt insert to keep him on the seat but so he has some freedom to sit and lay down etc. Problem is as soon as the truck starts moving he sits and throws his head in the air and howls (more like highpitched cry that's killing my ears). He has lots of his toys and chewies and his blanket with him also. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep him happy and quiet in the car and for me to keep my sanity. One thing does work right now and it's treats, but it's only as long as the treat lasts and they make a gross mess of my truck. Any suggestions would be great!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I havent a clue!!! Maybe take him for a ride EVERY DAY..... just on a short trip around the block. Seems like he would eventually get used to it.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There's an episode of Cesar Millan's show where two Shelties go berserk every time they're in the car. Same deal. I think it's from Season 3 or 4.

I also found this: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembehaviors/5-tips-for-handling-nuisance-barking

In the episode, it takes two people to manage the behavior. One doing the driving -- and paying attention to the road -- and the other disagreeing with the behavior.

Good luck. This would be a maddening problem.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
my boston would go beserk everytime we got into the car. we got him from someone else so have no idea why. he would tumble around the seats and make such a ruckus i had to take him home. i just kept taking him out and around short distances and eventually he stopped doing it. now the wipers well thats another story. good luck

OP
TonkaTruck28

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
He doesn't run around the truck jut sits in the middle of the seat with his head held high barking! For the first 2 or 3 weeks after we brought him home he always fell asleep in the truck and now I wish he would! Lol. We will keep practicing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We actually have issue with Banks in the car... she is terrified and tries to hide under the seats or under the dashboard. We tried the harness/seat belt and she almost choked herself because she was so twisted.... we finally had to get her Xanax which we give her half a tablet 30 mins before going in the car. She then just sits on the floor and is calm

Twisted tails

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Crumpet, Blossom, Tinkerbelle
You could try and give her rescue remedy to relax her just before going into the car , also spray some lavender in the truck it will calm them down .

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Have you tried putting him in the front passenger seat with you, so that you can pet and reassure him? My pup was very anxious on car rides when much younger, but having him beside me helped reassure and comfort him. We also take short trips at least once a week to a local pet store where he alway gets treats, which makes him like the rides more. He has now graduated to the back seat (safer) and does just fine.

Hope your trips get better for you and your sidekick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Have you tried putting him in the front passenger seat with you, so that you can pet and reassure him? My pup was very anxious on car rides when much younger, but having him beside me helped reassure and comfort him. We also take short trips at least once a week to a local pet store where he alway gets treats, which makes him like the rides more. He has now graduated to the back seat (safer) and does just fine.

Hope your trips get better for you and your sidekick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Use caution when you do this so you aren't rewarding the fearful behavior.

OP
TonkaTruck28

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I will have to try the lavender thing! He's been in both the front and back and is the exact same each way. I find him more distracting in the front and what with the distracted driving laws here I'd rather not have him in the front, tethered or not. We're just going to keep practicing! Off to Tim Hortons we go! Lol

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Could it be that he feels restrained? When we first started taking Winston on car rides we tried to just put him in his crate becuase we thought that is where he would be most comfortable and he did the same thing! All he was trying to do was get out so then we tried a hammock for the back seat and he did the same thing, we found out very quickly he just liked being able to move around in the back freely if he wanted to and being able to see us..so now we lay a blanket down and hes good to go. No barking or howling, good luck! :)

Staff online

Members online