RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm having a major battle of wills with Usko. He is the pickiest eater and it's driving me nuts! I just learned that he can just be seeking attention by not eating! Like he is not getting any?!?! So what I have to do is give him his food, go away from the room and if he hasn't eaten his food in 15 minutes take it away and give it to him the next feeding time the same way.

Just yesterday we had a "minor" disagreement cause he didn't eat. It took his food and his toys away and payed no attention to him, I even growled at him..... I could see that he knew that the game was over and he shouldn't irritate mom any further. After about 3 hours when I went to the kitchen he came after me and pleaded with his eyes to give him food, of course I caved, but he did eat all.

Today was the first feeding with the new style and of course he didn't eat, so next chance for him is tomorrow morning....No caving this time.

What do you think...who will win this battle?

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
sounds like quite battle you have with Usko. I would think feeding him raw that he would gobble up all of his food. Watson is like a vacuum cleaner...he doesn't leave any food behind.:ROFL:

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
One of the things my puppy school trainer keeps reminding us is pack dominance when it comes to food. My guy is just the opposite, can't get his food soon enough but I'm wondering if the same thing will help. I prep his food while he's watching me do it and then leave it on the counter while I grab a snack or that most important first cup of coffee in the morning. After I'm good then he's allowed to eat. I'm just wondering if Usko is waiting for you to go first?

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
He couldn't be bothered when prepare his food. I make him sit, give paw and look me in the eyes before he gets his food. I feed him in the evening when we have already eaten.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Sorry - it was worth a shot! That being the case I would be doing exactly what you're doing.... sooner or later he'll have to get hungry. Best of luck!!!! and I'm wishing you all the willpower that can be sent via internet!

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4676]thesspa[/MENTION]

And he will eat chicken necks and pork backs...but life is not just favorite things.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i think you are on the right track! lola was such a stinker...NOT food motivated AT ALL. so when we finally settled on a kibble, we gave her 15 minutes of time to eat, undivided attention from us (she likes an eating buddy) and if she doesnt eat, we wait until next time. first feeding at 8am and next at 6-7. we feed an egg for lunch tho. she still skips a meal every few days. eff it! i can't feel her ribs these days anyways.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Buddy is a very picky eater as well. Sometimes he will not eat all day and sometimes only eat at night. We feed them twice a day. We will on occasion give him so Feta cheese in his food as he likes that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke was like this sometimes, but it was usually because of allergies and how we knew his tummy was bothering him

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Did Nitschke have something wrong with his tummy?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe he's just not hungry?

Seeking attention by not eating is a pretty complicated thought process. I know some dogs are smart but sheesh. That's Einstein material there. :) Eating is instinct.

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe he's just not hungry?

Seeking attention by not eating is a pretty complicated thought process. I know some dogs are smart but sheesh. That's Einstein material there. :) Eating is instinct.

Then Uskos instincts are really suppressed, cause he has eaten so little lately. I've read about a study made where banana flies were fed less than they needed and they lived longer than normally fed buddys....I hope it's the same with Usko...:pray:;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Did Nitschke have something wrong with his tummy?

Yes, he had an arm length list of environmental allergies which caused him to always have an upset stomach and then he would vomit foam or bile hence, why he would not eat. So, when we noticed he was snubbing his food, we would give him a Pepcid (antacid) 20 mins. before a meal --- waaalaaa, he would eat :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If my dogs snub their food I know there is something majorly wrong with them... So I am no help here.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.