Eating Poop, yuck...

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Lilly won't stop eating her poop...And it's driving me out of my mind. I know it's normal for dogs to do(for the most part), but it really is disgusting and I hate it...She's still on the puppy pads, and it seems she likes to save her poop to eat it. She'll usually go in the morning right before or after she eats her breakfast. Then an hour later or so, she'll go off somewhere and poop, and I'll find her eating it. This doesn't happen often, but what does happen all the time is when we go out. Before we leave we always see if she has to go. She'll usually pee, and that'll be it. We lock her in the crate whenever we do go anywhere (which is smaller so she's less inclined to poop in her sleeping area) and almost every time she poops in her cage and eats it! It's like she saves it so when we leave, she has something to eat...It's hard to deal with because she does it whenever we're not around, and seems like shes doing it intentionally. We ALWAYS give her an opportunity before we leave, but it's like she intentionally won't poop, and only pee sometimes just so she can eat it...Vet said she was good so I'm not worried about it being a health problem, so I think she's enjoying herself when she eat it. If anyone has had any luck getting rid of this problem please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hi there - we had/have this issue with our guy ever since we changed food. My understanding is that it doesn't work for all dogs, but we had success. We add a tablespoon of pumpkin puree (regular, not the pie filling) to his food at every meal. The addition makes the smell of his leavings unappealing. Pumpkin is also great for their digestion. I've read here that you can give it to them regularly without issue.

After weeks of adding this we happend to be away from home and missed doing it for 2 meals in a row and sure enough it became his afternoon snack while we were at work the next day!

Anyways, I purchase the big cans, freeze spoonfuls in icecube trays, bag them, and thaw as needed.

Good luck!! Hope this helps

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm afraid I can't help with this one. What I can share though is that yelling at the dog when they do it doesn't help. My neighbor's boxer eats poo - hers or anyone's she can find -- and the dumb lady yells at her when she does it. This has only made the boxer eat it and then RUN because she knows she's going to get yelled at for it.

I have heard that this is a common problem and may be something is missing in your dog's diet? I like the switching foods idea. Cesar Millan cured Jodi the Shitzu by using banana as a reward for NOT eating it. (Good episode if you can find it)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've had my share of POO experiences with Wilson from the time we brought him home at 8 weeks until just recently. I'm at work right now so I'll elaborate in detail later tonight. Please though, go easy on your girl because to her it's not disgusting. Hang in there!!! :hug:

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Stonewall is a poop eater too, several in that litter do this. Some are adding pineapple, some pumpkin. Our trick? To let him out and watch where he goes, then pick it up immediately. At home (in the house) he has snuck away a couple times but for the most part where we are...there he is too. We'll be going for the pumpkin tonight to see if that works. If not, it is on to the pineapple. Here's the gross but interesting bit. He'll only eat it if it looks like soft serve...not solid. GAG. Yeah...it's gonna be pumpkin for us tonight.

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Oh yes!! My Tess girl still once in awhile likes to eat her 💩. I'm interested what you find out to. I have out Tess on pumpkin to and that has helped some and I do try to puck up her 💩 once she goes. It is disgusting but you love them not matter what. 😍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh how I feel for you. Wilson first started eating his poo when I got him at 8 weeks (he turned 1 in January). I cried and said to my husband, I cannot have a dog that eats crap!!! I was pissed and heartbroken in a way. For nearly the next year I had to deal with this so I needed to learn how to cope and not hate my dog (well I'd never hate him but you know). I don't really have a cure all because like others said, what works for one may not work for another. I immediately took note though that Wilson was very curious on the turds in the yard. Wilson never ate his own, he only ate my old dog's Ace. I thought for sure when Ace passed this past January that he would stop. Nope he started eating Jack's (Jack's 3 weeks older than Wilson). I was so surprised because I thought for sure it was due to Ace being on a different food and possibly even the medicine he was on. Yes he stopped for a bit but that was it. Yelling definitely does not help that's for sure. Also if you yell at them the only thing that that will accomplish is for a dog to learn NOT to do it in front of you. There just not people and don't get it like we do so you got to think like a dog. "Leave it" worked but only if I was standing right there. They like them hot and steamy, the fresh ones! Yes it's very disgusting to us but to them it's two fold. It's can be due to them watching the mother clean up after them and that they simply like to treat themselves to a tasty backyard Scooby snack.

I tried everything, even what was under the sun. For nearly a year, we picked up several times a day, tried Adolf's meat tenderizer (2tsps per feeding) recommended by my vet, tried canned pure pumpkin, tried Cheyenne pepper sprinkling it on directly on a fresh poo, tried Franks Red Hot doing the same, bitter apple, tried pineapple and tried pumpkin. If your girl was eating another dog's it would be that dog that would need to try all of these.

The only way I was finally able to deal with it was to accept it, we were all happier all the way around. I kept baby wipes and would clean his mouth and carry one. Funny thing is that it seems that since he was neutered this past late February, he has no interest anymore. Another thing I did though was switch his food to a grain free. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if it's simply a coincidence. Well I wish I could help more. Since your girl is eating her own, it makes me wonder if it came from Mom or if it's her food. Hang in there and be patient. Just clean her mouth good and all will be fine.

Sure there was a cure all for you.

Here's a few of my threads I was able to find if you'd like to read them.

This one's the best - Poo vs. Peppermint Ice Cream, :laugh:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...og-talk/11793-poo-v-peppermint-ice-cream.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...p-wilson-just-got-caught-eating-poop-yuk.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...6443-hi-my-names-wilson-i-still-like-eat.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/general-bulldog-talk/13244-hes-back.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11002&highlight=tasty

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...6511-canned-pumpkin-wilsons-tasty-snacks.html

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Oh how I feel for you. Wilson first started eating his poo when I got him at 8 weeks (he turned 1 in January). I cried and said to my husband, I cannot have a dog that eats crap!!! I was pissed and heartbroken in a way. For nearly the next year I had to deal with this so I needed to learn how to cope and not hate my dog (well I'd never hate him but you know). I don't really have a cure all because like others said, what works for one may not work for another. I immediately took note though that Wilson was very curious on the turds in the yard. Wilson never ate his own, he only ate my old dog's Ace. I thought for sure when Ace passed this past January that he would stop. Nope he started eating Jack's (Jack's 3 weeks older than Wilson). I was so surprised because I thought for sure it was due to Ace being on a different food and possibly even the medicine he was on. Yes he stopped for a bit but that was it. Yelling definitely does not help that's for sure. Also if you yell at them the only thing that that will accomplish is for a dog to learn NOT to do it in front of you. There just not people and don't get it like we do so you got to think like a dog. "Leave it" worked but only if I was standing right there. They like them hot and steamy, the fresh ones! Yes it's very disgusting to us but to them it's two fold. It's can be due to them watching the mother clean up after them and that they simply like to treat themselves to a tasty backyard Scooby snack.

I tried everything, even what was under the sun. For nearly a year, we picked up several times a day, tried Adolf's meat tenderizer (2tsps per feeding) recommended by my vet, tried canned pure pumpkin, tried Cheyenne pepper sprinkling it on directly on a fresh poo, tried Franks Red Hot doing the same, bitter apple, tried pineapple and tried pumpkin. If your girl was eating another dog's it would be that dog that would need to try all of these.

The only way I was finally able to deal with it was to accept it, we were all happier all the way around. I kept baby wipes and would clean his mouth and carry one. Funny thing is that it seems that since he was neutered this past late February, he has no interest anymore. Another thing I did though was switch his food to a grain free. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if it's simply a coincidence. Well I wish I could help more. Since your girl is eating her own, it makes me wonder if it came from Mom or if it's her food. Hang in there and be patient. Just clean her mouth good and all will be fine.

Sure there was a cure all for you.

Here's a few of my threads I was able to find if you'd like to read them.

This one's the best - Poo vs. Peppermint Ice Cream, :laugh:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...og-talk/11793-poo-v-peppermint-ice-cream.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...p-wilson-just-got-caught-eating-poop-yuk.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...6443-hi-my-names-wilson-i-still-like-eat.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/general-bulldog-talk/13244-hes-back.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11002&highlight=tasty

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...6511-canned-pumpkin-wilsons-tasty-snacks.html

Thanks for all the responses!!

See, the problem with Lilly is she eats her own. And it's always cleaned up because she won't go outside yet. Still going in my bathroom with pad, bleh. I'm happy though because she's definitely progressing. It's just gonna take some time. My g/f has a tendency of getting a little mad at her eating it, and now she's more apprehensive about going poo. I talked to her today about it so she's working on it. Sometimes she gets away with it when we are home, but rarely. When we are not home though is when I'm having a problem with. Sometimes she won't go poo when I want her to. I think she's ashamed to poop in front of me, or actually likes to eat it so much that she waits until I'm not around. So it's kind of out of my control until I can get her to be excited to poop in front of me for food lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is usually a sign of too few digestive enzymes in the food. Cooking kills enzymes. Some kibbles have enzymes added, but they are better fresh. Adding some green tripe to their food should help.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the responses!!

See, the problem with Lilly is she eats her own. And it's always cleaned up because she won't go outside yet. Still going in my bathroom with pad, bleh. I'm happy though because she's definitely progressing. It's just gonna take some time. My g/f has a tendency of getting a little mad at her eating it, and now she's more apprehensive about going poo. I talked to her today about it so she's working on it. Sometimes she gets away with it when we are home, but rarely. When we are not home though is when I'm having a problem with. Sometimes she won't go poo when I want her to. I think she's ashamed to poop in front of me, or actually likes to eat it so much that she waits until I'm not around. So it's kind of out of my control until I can get her to be excited to poop in front of me for food lol

She very well could be ashamed to go in front of you. During the potty training stages either me or my husband would go outside with them and then encourage them with "go potty" "good boy" "good girl". Sometimes we'd have to stay out for 15 minutes. I doubt she's holding it in so she can eat it later when you're not there though.

How old is she and how much time is she getting to go outside? Oh and what's her feeding schedule?

Hang in there, it just takes lots and lots of work for some. Emma is much tougher right now potty training than Wilson was.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great point [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. I believe the original poster mentioned this as well.

The energy we share with our dogs is SO IMPORTANT. Dogs are intuitive creatures and truly KNOW when you're pleased (or peeved) even if you don't make a sound. It's true. Try it sometime. You will be amazed.

Shame behaviors associated with potty training is a nightmare already happening. Thank goodness you are on this [MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] ! Keep up the good work!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Actually the medical term for eating poop is coprophagy. Why do dogs eat their poop? It is a combination of behaviroal and physiological reasons. First, I will take the physiological reasons.

Digestion is never complete so they will eat their feces as a nutritional snack. It sounds sick but it is true. Dogs are often attracted to undigested corn, peanuts, or rice. Yummy! As a word of caution, you really should never feed your dog peanuts or corn so they should never be attracted to those two things if you feed them properly.

Now let me go into behavioral reasons your dog might be eating their poop. Dogs that are going through house training can become confused. They are not sure if they are supposed to go to the bathroom outside or inside and they may go inside. After going, they might feel bad about it and eat their poop to get rid of the evidence.

Another reason your dog might eat their poop is because they are bored. Some dogs go around the yard when they are bored and they will pick things up and put them down or they will chew them and sometimes that thing they pick up to chew on is poop. Or, your dog is just trying to get your attention and has learned that it is easy to get your attention if they pick up some poop and start chomping away. They have figured out that you will stop what you are doing and react to this awful habit. Dogs do know how to punch our buttons. They are not stupid.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Caleb my Spina bifida baby does this constantly. I bought Stop eating poo from Carolina Pet pantry and it works great. He doesnt eat it now unless I forget to put it in his food.
He will chew his diaper off to get it..Gross

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online