New Puppy Will NOT stop attacking one of the other boys

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
We have 3 rescues. Sherman, who is 5 and very laid back. Custer who is 16 months old and very slow, but very sweet. We have just added Stonewall, who is 12 weeks old and is still struggling with his place.

Stonewall will not leave Custer alone. He is forever hanging on his jowls, his ears, even his throat. If we try various and sundry diversion techniques they will work for a very brief time and he is right back at it. He will lie in wait for Custer to come near and then attack. There have been times when we are trying to redirect the behavior that he will snarl at us (my fiance says he sounds like a caged badger...lol) and lunge at us!

We love this little demon very much but have tried and tried again. The hope was that Custer would tire of this behavior and all 72 pounds of muscle (Custer) would correct all 17 pounds of Stonewall. It is not happening, nor can I see that it will.

Sherman let Stonewall know the lay of the land on day one and peace reigns supreme with he and Stonewall.

Other than puppy class (we are scheduled to start that in the next month) and redirection/praise...does anyone have any other suggestions?

Custer will run and hide under our legs in hopes of some peace and quiet. It's hard to watch.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
i would try putting the puppy on a leash and introduing him to custer. every time he tries this pull him away use a firm no! ignore him (while still holding the leash) anf have someone else praise Custer for being such a patient brave boy in view of the pup. when the pup interacts politely make s big deal and give s treat. repeat approx 100 time lol and presto solved

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My experience with puppies and older dogs is that it is up to the older dog to set some boundries for the pup. Maybe in this case you'll have to wait until Stonewall grows out of that puppy, biting stage. The puppy manners class should help. You may need to submit him when he growls and lunges at you for correcting his behavior. Let him know who is boss!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Yes you have to address the alpha position as he is not respecting that you are it and then correct his behaviour. A large part of it will pass as he moves out of puppy stage. Walking and tiring him out daily will also help as he wants to play and burn energy.
I watched an episode of Ceaser Milan where the Cockatoo was the alpha in the house to 3 dogs so the puppy can easily take this position if everyone is layed back and easy going so the puppy will think it's his job.

Nip it in the butt, work on it daily. Confirm alpha and start to curve the behavior so he knows his place. Remember CALM and ASSERTIVE don't get excited, mad, raise your voice, or anything of that nature as it is not necessary. Stonewall will know by your energy if you are serious or not, and if he is out of line.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion when the human is the alpha the other dogs don't have to fight each other. When Usko was a puppy and tried to snarl or lunge at me I pinned him down and kept him him there until he relaxed. It is not exceptable to be like that even for a puppy. If he is very dominant only redirecting may not help. You know when it is for play and when not. You need to show him his place not the other dogs.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Did you get one of the CPP puppies? I remember the names and thought they were really cute! We have an 11 week old and a 17 month old. The 17 month old puts the baby in his place, but her lays into her face so hard, I'm afraid he'll rip off a chunk. We've taken to a water bottle to spray him with and a forceful NO! He's getting better, but I'll be so glad when the puppy teeth are gone! Good luck to you. It's a big adjustment for all the dogs.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Our Jake was like this with Dena Dog too. We tried to protect her as best we could, but honestly, Dena reached her limit and set him straight. They are the best of buddies..but he did chew the heck out of her ID tags..not to mention the jowls..ears..etc. Like all the incessant puppy biting..it passes.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I was wondering about a squirt bottle too. Just to get his attention when he is displaying unwanted behaviors.

Then again...it has been known to backfire, some dogs like being squirted LOL

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
At this point, and until puppy class starts, we're looking at different options. Thanks for your input.

i would try putting the puppy on a leash and introduing him to custer. every time he tries this pull him away use a firm no! ignore him (while still holding the leash) anf have someone else praise Custer for being such a patient brave boy in view of the pup. when the pup interacts politely make s big deal and give s treat. repeat approx 100 time lol and presto solved

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you Alice.

My experience has been that the older dog will take care of this too. In the past I've never had this issue. Custer, however, WILL Not. It is hard to watch him just take it and take it, occasionally knocking him off of him, but never really addressing the issue.

We are doing submission drills when he starts at us and have seen a great improvement in the past couple days. He rarely does this with me, and a short, sharp "HEY" works for me when he is misbehaving. Jim is another story. He is beginning, since Jim has learned some of the tactics used in a submission drill (I've been to puppy class with all my dogs, Jim's first puppy), to not go at Jim either. Thank you God!

My experience with puppies and older dogs is that it is up to the older dog to set some boundries for the pup. Maybe in this case you'll have to wait until Stonewall grows out of that puppy, biting stage. The puppy manners class should help. You may need to submit him when he growls and lunges at you for correcting his behavior. Let him know who is boss!

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stonewall is smart as a whip. He's so sweet except for this issue, and this issue is a puppy issue to some extent, but to a greater extent it is his personality.

Consistency and repitition is key for him, and we are nothing if not consistent and using repetition to help him see...er, the error of his ways. LOL

He gets two good long walks a day and LOVES them. HE is excellent on a leash. He also gets one on one play time with Dad. I'm just really want him to fit in, and I've had puppies for all my 53 years of life. I've never had one that was this much of a stinker. I love him to bits...he makes me laugh, he melts my heart, but this thing with Custer is just hard. The part of his growling at us is less and less. This gives me a lot of hope the other will stop too...eventually. Thanks

Yes you have to address the alpha position as he is not respecting that you are it and then correct his behaviour. A large part of it will pass as he moves out of puppy stage. Walking and tiring him out daily will also help as he wants to play and burn energy.
I watched an episode of Ceaser Milan where the Cockatoo was the alpha in the house to 3 dogs so the puppy can easily take this position if everyone is layed back and easy going so the puppy will think it's his job.

Nip it in the butt, work on it daily. Confirm alpha and start to curve the behavior so he knows his place. Remember CALM and ASSERTIVE don't get excited, mad, raise your voice, or anything of that nature as it is not necessary. Stonewall will know by your energy if you are serious or not, and if he is out of line.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know that I agree with this. My other two dogs never fight, and one of them came as a pup. The pecking order in this household is very obvious. Neighbors and the dog walker/sitter even comment on that. Being Alpha is never questioned, and yet this puppy seems to be having some trouble recognizing it with Custer (and rarely us). Sherman made it known from day one and the pup has never questioned him. This is basically an issue between the two dogs.

When Stonewall does lunge and snarl he is held down, in a submissive position and kept there until he stops the behavior. This does seem to be working and we are seeing less and less of this behavior.

In my opinion when the human is the alpha the other dogs don't have to fight each other. When Usko was a puppy and tried to snarl or lunge at me I pinned him down and kept him him there until he relaxed. It is not exceptable to be like that even for a puppy. If he is very dominant only redirecting may not help. You know when it is for play and when not. You need to show him his place not the other dogs.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I did...and am happy and lucky to have been one who did. This was the pistol of that litter. I was told if they heard puppies howling in pain they knew who was in there causing the ruckus. Stonewall, can...and will get better. I've been chewed out (elsewhere) for saying anything negative (and not by CPP, they have been nothing but supportive and understanding) about his behavior ... so I'm a bit tentative about it.

Custer absolutely needs to take this baby down and let him know this has to stop. We have sat in the floor for hours, and over and over again tried to get him to stop by any number of means. Someone suggested yelling a loud "YIP" everytime he goes to tear up Custer. We tried that last night and it worked ... for a while ;)

We want Stonewall happy, healthy, well adjusted and comfortable in his own family. We want to see them all piled up in the big bed together. I know it is coming, I know it will take work, it always does with puppies. I've just never owned or bred a pup this aggressive to bigger dogs. I'm up for the challenge, just looking for some fresh ideas.

Squirt bottle...that might work, he HATES water. He looks like a pudgy ballerina when it is wet out and he has to go to the bathroom. Tip toeing across the yard, lifting his feet like a Tennessee Walker horse. :)

I appreciate your understanding and input.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gonna give it a try...only when he attacks it might just work.

I was wondering about a squirt bottle too. Just to get his attention when he is displaying unwanted behaviors.

Then again...it has been known to backfire, some dogs like being squirted LOL

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I love this post. Here's hoping Custer reaches his limit...soon!

Our Jake was like this with Dena Dog too. We tried to protect her as best we could, but honestly, Dena reached her limit and set him straight. They are the best of buddies..but he did chew the heck out of her ID tags..not to mention the jowls..ears..etc. Like all the incessant puppy biting..it passes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.