Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Puppy Will NOT stop attacking one of the other boys

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer and Maisie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Puppy Will NOT stop attacking one of the other boys

I did...and am happy and lucky to have been one who did. This was the pistol of that litter. I was told if they heard puppies howling in pain they knew who was in there causing the ruckus. Stonewall, can...and will get better. I've been chewed out (elsewhere) for saying anything negative (and not by CPP, they have been nothing but supportive and understanding) about his behavior ... so I'm a bit tentative about it.

Custer absolutely needs to take this baby down and let him know this has to stop. We have sat in the floor for hours, and over and over again tried to get him to stop by any number of means. Someone suggested yelling a loud "YIP" everytime he goes to tear up Custer. We tried that last night and it worked ... for a while

We want Stonewall happy, healthy, well adjusted and comfortable in his own family. We want to see them all piled up in the big bed together. I know it is coming, I know it will take work, it always does with puppies. I've just never owned or bred a pup this aggressive to bigger dogs. I'm up for the challenge, just looking for some fresh ideas.

Squirt bottle...that might work, he HATES water. He looks like a pudgy ballerina when it is wet out and he has to go to the bathroom. Tip toeing across the yard, lifting his feet like a Tennessee Walker horse.

I appreciate your understanding and input.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer and Maisie
    Likes (Received)

Gonna give it a try...only when he attacks it might just work.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAndi View Post
    I was wondering about a squirt bottle too. Just to get his attention when he is displaying unwanted behaviors.

Then again...it has been known to backfire, some dogs like being squirted LOL

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer and Maisie
    Likes (Received)

I love this post. Here's hoping Custer reaches his limit...soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Our Jake was like this with Dena Dog too. We tried to protect her as best we could, but honestly, Dena reached her limit and set him straight. They are the best of buddies..but he did chew the heck out of her ID tags..not to mention the jowls..ears..etc. Like all the incessant puppy biting..it passes.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

I have a similar issue with my bulldog overwelming my yorkie, I just cannot wait for the yorkie to latch on to his jowles or worse yet an eye or something, I seen my yorkie fight back and for my situation "I will" be the solution. I've seen other situations where they let the dogs 'work it out' and it can get ugly, and if damage is the outcome hopefully one doesn't loose and eye or worse yet lose it's life.

I'm a firm believer that the situation can and should be controlled by the owner, I also am not a fan of water bottles etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm learning as I go and I guess to a large extent i'm following Ceasers methods and addressing each situation as such, I may be eating these words at some point but for now it is working SOOOO good I could not consider anything else.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer and Maisie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you again Vince.

It gets to a point when you look at the older dog with infected tears in his ears and sores in his mouth so that he eats his food slowly and start feeling bad everywhere...that's the truth of it for me. I hope that doesn't get me flamed...but this pup is a menace to the older boy...and the older boy (in reality) is a baby too. 16 months old. My hope is that a new puppy class and teacher will give us some insight. Going to the vet on Saturday too, going to ask her what her thoughts are on the matter.

I've seen Custer snap a tennis ball in two in one bite, so yes...we fear when he does tire of it, it could be very BAD. Fingers crossed and hands folded...I know it will eventually work out. I'm glad to have a place to begin to ferret it out with like minded folks.

As for Stonewall...as I've said, other than this (and it is relatively non-stop) he's the perfect little boy. I guess I should be glad it is only one issue (albeit a biggie)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    I have a similar issue with my bulldog overwelming my yorkie, I just cannot wait for the yorkie to latch on to his jowles or worse yet an eye or something, I seen my yorkie fight back and for my situation "I will" be the solution. I've seen other situations where they let the dogs 'work it out' and it can get ugly, and if damage is the outcome hopefully one doesn't loose and eye or worse yet lose it's life.

I'm a firm believer that the situation can and should be controlled by the owner, I also am not a fan of water bottles etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm learning as I go and I guess to a large extent i'm following Ceasers methods and addressing each situation as such, I may be eating these words at some point but for now it is working SOOOO good I could not consider anything else.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

I have a 12 month old EB and a 9 week old EB. We are going through this as well. But not nearly as bad, thankfully. Our 12 month old Uni, is holding her own, in fact we have had to put her in her place several times for being too ruff with the puppy. Most of the time she plays nice or just tries to get the puppy off of her. I do feel bad for her as the days go by( we have had him for a week) I see more and more scabs on Uni. He is a firecracker! Always biting her and chewing. We are redirecting at this point him being so young and always supervising. I cannot wait until the day they will cuddle up together for nap. Hopefully soon...
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver and Ivy Claire
    Likes (Received)

frankly, we pretty much suck at training. our bullies are generally well-behaved, but ollie did this to all dogs he met as a puppy. he was relentless. thankfully, i have friends who understand that the older dog needs to assert, and we always allowed that to happen. still, he just outgrew it, thankfully.
    "J'embrace mon chien sur la bouche!" (i kiss my dog on the mouth!)--unknown

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

you rec'd a lot of great advice, but puppy behavior will prevail until Custer sets him straight. Our Nitschke never set Banks straight and for 6 years she always tried to beat him up so, during that time - he would just avoid her and if she entered a room, he would leave or go to the other side.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Great thread and some awesome advice here. I'm with Vince00. I let these two "sort it out" for awhile and finally had to step in. Bo is 30+ lbs heavier than Bea and, in my opinion, can play too rough for my taste. And that's what it's about; me. ha ha I can demand whatever behavior I want because I'm the pack leader, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads