Recommended Reading - Training and Behavior Help

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yay for Audible.com. Cesar's last book remains on my iPod, at the ready for when I'm down for reading it a third time. :yes:

I was disappointed to find that Cesar himself was not reading his last book. :nope: It's still a great read and full of useful information and relate-able stories -- but in my fantasy, Cesar himself is riding to work with me and we're chatting about Pack Leadership. *sigh*

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Anything by Karen Prior.

I take Cesar with a grain of salt. I do think he knows how to work with fearful and/or aggressive dogs.

Personally I think more time needs to be spent on primary prevention of behavior problems through early socialization, training and exercise.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Anything by Karen Prior.

I take Cesar with a grain of salt. I do think he knows how to work with fearful and/or aggressive dogs.

Personally I think more time needs to be spent on primary prevention of behavior problems through early socialization, training and exercise.

give me a few of your favorites that I can list for a beginner ?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I'm not a fan of C.Milan,
but I love few books about positive reinforcement and other good reads that I can recommend

Jean Donaldson-culture clash
The Power of Positive Dog Training-Pat Miller
don't shoot the doog (can't remember who wrote that)
and for puppy (and not only)
The Perfect Puppy-by Gwen Bailey

I asked the Vet how can I stop my dog from being aggressive w other dogs he said , discipline. which book or audio book would you recommend most beneficial to my situation? Thank you

My EBD will be five next month and she 's a rescue . I love her and will continue working w her, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I asked the Vet how can I stop my dog from being aggressive w other dogs he said , discipline. which book or audio book would you recommend most beneficial to my situation? Thank you

My EBD will be five next month and she 's a rescue . I love her and will continue working w her, thank you

You can use something as ease as 'nothing in life is free'.... it is all about consistency and patience

Snoopy3

Nov 5, 2010
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
Definitely stick with the positive reinforcement. Be careful with corrections, which might have the opposite effect. Also might want to look into whether it's fear aggression as opposed to dominance aggression.

Some really good resources are:
Control Unleashed - Leslie McDevitt
Help for your Fearful Dog - Nicole Wilde
Click to Calm - Emma Parsons

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can use something as ease as 'nothing in life is free'.... it is all about consistency and patience

On a good note, Pork Chop has been good around two dogs while on a leash. Two different dog mom's I talk stop and chat with while on walks. Pork Chop does great when she's near the dog. No barking or lounging , it's good. The consistency of always running into these two individuals at separate times.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Definitely stick with the positive reinforcement. Be careful with corrections, which might have the opposite effect. Also might want to look into whether it's fear aggression as opposed to dominance aggression.

Good one , not sure if her barks are either one. I can ask someone whose been around her meltdowns is what I call it.

Thank you going to look up these resources.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

The trainer said, my dog is not aggressive. She's fear aggressive . He explained she is defensive and it takes her time to get used to a person and another dog.

I am relieved to hear that . She's a great girl with some rough edges. I am looking forward to our 8 Weeks Canine Citizen Course. Next class will be less lecture and more hands on, I can't wait!

Snoopy3

Nov 5, 2010
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
So glad to hear you've found a good trainer to help with her fear aggression. It takes a while to build up their confidence, but it's worth it! My boy is the same way -- he is so unsure about new people and new dogs, that he growls/barks/lunges until they go away. But once he is familiar with them, he's the biggest goofball you'll ever meet.

We've been working on his trust issues -- so he knows he is safe and I'm not going to let anything bad happen to him. That's also why corrective discipline doesn't work as well with fear aggressive dogs. They're communicating that they're afraid of something, and if they get corrected for growling (and don't have a way to escape the situation), they'll think their only alternative is to go directly to a bite. Poor babies feel the weight of the world on their shoulders (broad as they might be).

But best of luck with class, and keep us posted on your little girl's progress -- it's a great opportunity for bonding with her : )

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So glad to hear you've found a good trainer to help with her fear aggression. It takes a while to build up their confidence, but it's worth it! My boy is the same way -- he is so unsure about new people and new dogs, that he growls/barks/lunges until they go away. But once he is familiar with them, he's the biggest goofball you'll ever meet.

We've been working on his trust issues -- so he knows he is safe and I'm not going to let anything bad happen to him. That's also why corrective discipline doesn't work as well with fear aggressive dogs. They're communicating that they're afraid of something, and if they get corrected for growling (and don't have a way to escape the situation), they'll think their only alternative is to go directly to a bite. Poor babies feel the weight of the world on their shoulders (broad as they might be).

But best of luck with class, and keep us posted on your little girl's progress -- it's a great opportunity for bonding with her : )

Yes, she began to lunge and growl at some big dog walking opposite of our direction on the sidewalk. We pulled over, distracted her w her water bottle. She was safe with me , I did correct her , no! She calmed down , I recognize fear aggression bec she had no idea who this dog is and he/she was twice her size.

We will get through this with practice in class . Overall , with people and children she's great.

What technique do you use on your boy in those situations ?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.