Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading - Training and Behavior Help

Feed Store Operator MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

Default Recommended Reading - Training and Behavior Help

Quote Originally Posted by Pati Robins View Post
    I'm not a fan of C.Milan,
    but I love few books about positive reinforcement and other good reads that I can recommend

Jean Donaldson-culture clash
    The Power of Positive Dog Training-Pat Miller
    don't shoot the doog (can't remember who wrote that)
    and for puppy (and not only)
    The Perfect Puppy-by Gwen Bailey
    I asked the Vet how can I stop my dog from being aggressive w other dogs he said , discipline. which book or audio book would you recommend most beneficial to my situation? Thank you

My EBD will be five next month and she 's a rescue . I love her and will continue working w her, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recommended Reading - Training and Behavior Help

Quote Originally Posted by MissWaddles13 View Post
    I asked the Vet how can I stop my dog from being aggressive w other dogs he said , discipline. which book or audio book would you recommend most beneficial to my situation? Thank you

My EBD will be five next month and she 's a rescue . I love her and will continue working w her, thank you

You can use something as ease as 'nothing in life is free'.... it is all about consistency and patience
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Robin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
    Likes (Received)

Definitely stick with the positive reinforcement. Be careful with corrections, which might have the opposite effect. Also might want to look into whether it's fear aggression as opposed to dominance aggression.

Some really good resources are:
    Control Unleashed - Leslie McDevitt
    Help for your Fearful Dog - Nicole Wilde
    Click to Calm - Emma Parsons

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    You can use something as ease as 'nothing in life is free'.... it is all about consistency and patience
    On a good note, Pork Chop has been good around two dogs while on a leash. Two different dog mom's I talk stop and chat with while on walks. Pork Chop does great when she's near the dog. No barking or lounging , it's good. The consistency of always running into these two individuals at separate times.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy3 View Post
    Definitely stick with the positive reinforcement. Be careful with corrections, which might have the opposite effect. Also might want to look into whether it's fear aggression as opposed to dominance aggression.

Good one , not sure if her barks are either one. I can ask someone whose been around her meltdowns is what I call it.

Thank you going to look up these resources.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

Thank you going to check the out

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

The trainer said, my dog is not aggressive. She's fear aggressive . He explained she is defensive and it takes her time to get used to a person and another dog.

I am relieved to hear that . She's a great girl with some rough edges. I am looking forward to our 8 Weeks Canine Citizen Course. Next class will be less lecture and more hands on, I can't wait!

Real Name
    Robin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear you've found a good trainer to help with her fear aggression. It takes a while to build up their confidence, but it's worth it! My boy is the same way -- he is so unsure about new people and new dogs, that he growls/barks/lunges until they go away. But once he is familiar with them, he's the biggest goofball you'll ever meet.

We've been working on his trust issues -- so he knows he is safe and I'm not going to let anything bad happen to him. That's also why corrective discipline doesn't work as well with fear aggressive dogs. They're communicating that they're afraid of something, and if they get corrected for growling (and don't have a way to escape the situation), they'll think their only alternative is to go directly to a bite. Poor babies feel the weight of the world on their shoulders (broad as they might be).

But best of luck with class, and keep us posted on your little girl's progress -- it's a great opportunity for bonding with her : )

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear you've found a good trainer to help with her fear aggression. It takes a while to build up their confidence, but it's worth it! My boy is the same way -- he is so unsure about new people and new dogs, that he growls/barks/lunges until they go away. But once he is familiar with them, he's the biggest goofball you'll ever meet.

We've been working on his trust issues -- so he knows he is safe and I'm not going to let anything bad happen to him. That's also why corrective discipline doesn't work as well with fear aggressive dogs. They're communicating that they're afraid of something, and if they get corrected for growling (and don't have a way to escape the situation), they'll think their only alternative is to go directly to a bite. Poor babies feel the weight of the world on their shoulders (broad as they might be).

But best of luck with class, and keep us posted on your little girl's progress -- it's a great opportunity for bonding with her : )
    Yes, she began to lunge and growl at some big dog walking opposite of our direction on the sidewalk. We pulled over, distracted her w her water bottle. She was safe with me , I did correct her , no! She calmed down , I recognize fear aggression bec she had no idea who this dog is and he/she was twice her size.

We will get through this with practice in class . Overall , with people and children she's great.

What technique do you use on your boy in those situations ?

Real Name
    Robin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

With my guy it's pretty straightforward in that he is afraid of all unfamiliar dogs & people. Since I know his triggers, I can gauge how close we can get before we reach his threshold. When he is in comfortable mode, I'll give him high-value treats for looking at things that he considers scary, but not growling at them. So the next time he sees that thing, he'll associate it with yummy treats.
    But if he is already reacting to something, I know there's no reasoning with him & he's already over threshold. So that's when I either distract/redirect him by dropping a jackpot of goodies in the opposite direction, or I'll haul butt out if there, making it a game... "let's run buddy!!"

I'm sure my neighbors think I'm weird, but oh well -- I'm more worried about how my dog is feeling 😁

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

With my guy it's pretty straightforward in that he is afraid of all unfamiliar dogs & people. Since I know his triggers, I can gauge how close we can get before we reach his threshold. When he is in comfortable mode, I'll give him high-value treats for looking at things that he considers scary, but not growling at them. So the next time he sees that thing, he'll associate it with yummy treats.
    But if he is already reacting to something, I know there's no reasoning with him & he's already over threshold. So that's when I either distract/redirect him by dropping a jackpot of goodies in the opposite direction, or I'll haul butt out if there, making it a game... "let's run buddy!!"

I'm sure my neighbors think I'm weird, but oh well -- I'm more worried about how my dog is feeling 😁

I basically, do the same thing with Pork Chop. Thank you for sharing.

I hear you what'a comfortable for them works for me. We don't have to worry about others

Audio books are also available through the library.
    Princess Lola and the Pea , ACGC, CGC, Registered Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads