Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading - Training and Behavior Help

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Recommended Reading - Training and Behavior Help

I'm not a fan of C.Milan,
    but I love few books about positive reinforcement and other good reads that I can recommend

Jean Donaldson-culture clash
    The Power of Positive Dog Training-Pat Miller
    don't shoot the doog (can't remember who wrote that)
    and for puppy (and not only)
    The Perfect Puppy-by Gwen Bailey
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Everything I have learned I learned on here and my instincts and its worked pretty well for us.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Now ALL i have to do is find an audio books app for my phone that will share with my MacBook Pro, and I'll be in business, lol, I love audio books, guessing were always wearing hearing protection at work, and usually at hom, I don't have time for actually reading a book, but Audio books would work great !! hint...hint...hint lol

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Now ALL i have to do is find an audio books app for my phone that will share with my MacBook Pro, and I'll be in business, lol, I love audio books, guessing were always wearing hearing protection at work, and usually at hom, I don't have time for actually reading a book, but Audio books would work great !! hint...hint...hint lol
    Yes... I have been looking too. There are a few out there... @Vicaroo1000 I think uses Audible dot com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes... I have been looking too. There are a few out there... @Vicaroo1000 I think uses Audible dot com
    I've seen that app Christine, but it's only rated 2*'s, and when I started reading the reviews, They were horrible, Taken the volume button away, last app update destroyed the app, from 2010 to Present, I've got an outstanding Lap Top, I wouldn't trade anything for in going to Apple versus Windows, I'll never look back at windows again, and I've built web sites, with software, and been an avid user of windows in my past, and Windows and coming out with a new version every year, every other year, and the viruses, is just horrific. Sometimes apps for my macbook arent as good as the windows apps, Rich in features, but my MacBook is lightening fast and has Never crashed, and the software on it is just second to none, Thinking @BruceP has one too. The iMovie, iPhoto, is absolutely Awesome, a Photographers dreams come true. But I'm going to keep searching for that app, to let me exchange with the cloud from my laptop to my iPhone and back again. I know I could "Boot Camp" or even "Piggy Back" Windows on my Mac Book and run them too, But then i'm faced with the Bios problems again, where the viruses, attach themselves to settings, and change this that and the other, and next thing you know you have a sick laptop again. Knowing Full Well Bill Gates could fix the issue, but as long as Windows and Intel and all the Virus protection people are all partners, its just a sales gimmick. The last thing about Windows, is the Day you buy them, their already out dated, absolete, and more powerful machines and programes made to run on those machines are already out, and what you have is non supported..... Mind Boggling !!

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    I've seen that app Christine, but it's only rated 2*'s, and when I started reading the reviews, They were horrible, Taken the volume button away, last app update destroyed the app, from 2010 to Present, I've got an outstanding Lap Top, I wouldn't trade anything for in going to Apple versus Windows, I'll never look back at windows again, and I've built web sites, with software, and been an avid user of windows in my past, and Windows and coming out with a new version every year, every other year, and the viruses, is just horrific. Sometimes apps for my macbook arent as good as the windows apps, Rich in features, but my MacBook is lightening fast and has Never crashed, and the software on it is just second to none, Thinking @BruceP has one too. The iMovie, iPhoto, is absolutely Awesome, a Photographers dreams come true. But I'm going to keep searching for that app, to let me exchange with the cloud from my laptop to my iPhone and back again. I know I could "Boot Camp" or even "Piggy Back" Windows on my Mac Book and run them too, But then i'm faced with the Bios problems again, where the viruses, attach themselves to settings, and change this that and the other, and next thing you know you have a sick laptop again. Knowing Full Well Bill Gates could fix the issue, but as long as Windows and Intel and all the Virus protection people are all partners, its just a sales gimmick. The last thing about Windows, is the Day you buy them, their already out dated, absolete, and more powerful machines and programes made to run on those machines are already out, and what you have is non supported..... Mind Boggling !!
    I have not used audible, just knew of it. My b/f has a MACbook air and LOVES it. It does have the partition software to also use windows, but rarely does... only for work. I recently bought him and iPad for his b/d and he also loves that, he uses it when going to/from work on the shuttle to watch TV or a movie or play games.
    e.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Yay for Audible.com. Cesar's last book remains on my iPod, at the ready for when I'm down for reading it a third time.

I was disappointed to find that Cesar himself was not reading his last book. It's still a great read and full of useful information and relate-able stories -- but in my fantasy, Cesar himself is riding to work with me and we're chatting about Pack Leadership. *sigh*

"When pigs fly"

Very good book for clicker training and training the less biddable dogs.
    Princess Lola and the Pea , ACGC, CGC, Registered Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated.

Anything by Karen Prior.

I take Cesar with a grain of salt. I do think he knows how to work with fearful and/or aggressive dogs.

Personally I think more time needs to be spent on primary prevention of behavior problems through early socialization, training and exercise.
    Princess Lola and the Pea , ACGC, CGC, Registered Therapy Dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lynn Westre View Post
    Anything by Karen Prior.

I take Cesar with a grain of salt. I do think he knows how to work with fearful and/or aggressive dogs.

Personally I think more time needs to be spent on primary prevention of behavior problems through early socialization, training and exercise.
    give me a few of your favorites that I can list for a beginner ?
    e.

When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs by
    Jane Killion

Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lynn Westre View Post
    When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs by
    Jane Killion

Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training

Thank you.... added them to the list! i like to keep a good list of choices as each technique may not work for all
    e.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads