Help with Potty Training

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
So Ella is about 13 weeks now and potty training is not going so well. I have been trying my best with the crate and taking her out every hour or so, but she just does not seem to be getting it.

If she gets left in her crate too long during the night, she will just go in it. It is a small crate, and if she goes she just lays in it...I have never had a puppy do that!

Even if we take her out every hour or so, if she decides she needs to go, poo or pee, she just goes!

Now luckily we have tile floors so the cleanup is not an issue, but she just does not seem to be making any real progress.

When we take her outside, she goes, so that is not an issue. It is just that if she decides she needs to go, and she is inside, then she just goes without warning!

Any tips or suggestions?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
don't give her anything 1 hour before bed, don't leave any food or water in her crate. Watch her like a hawk and catch her in the act. Don't leave her too long in the crate. Get up in the middle of the night to let her out, until she can hold herself.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Yea she actually eats at 5pm and I put her to bed between 9 and 10 with no water or food in her crate.

My problem is that she just really does not seem to be getting it!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you google "dog potty training" you'll find four gazillion sites dedicated to helping with it. You're not the only person to have trouble - clearly! I'd suggest going back to ZERO. She's only 13 weeks old so it's not going to be that far of a trip. :D Back to basics. Potty training requires precise timing and consistent messages from the start. If that means having her tied to you with a leash and your eye on her constantly, then do it. That extra time spent on the front end will save you hours of agony --- and tile wiping - on the "back end" - pun intended. :yes:

If she's not holding it thru the nite, then your night time routine will need to be altered so she can have some success. Set your alarm and get her up in the middle of the night if you must. Bo was like that so I know how that is!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Whenever we have had a young pup to foster...I've woken up in the middle of the night to let them out. It's hard to convince yourself to get out of bed in the middle of the night to let the pup out but really, it's just like having a baby. Except now its a 1am potty instead of bottle! LOL The good news is that eventually that part goes away and they can hold it through the night.

Someone once told me that while potty training a puppy....when they go outside like they are supposed to, make a HUGE deal over it. Act like they are the first dog ever to go potty outside! :) It sounds silly but they really do get a kick out of the positive reinforcement.

Good luck with your pup....she will get it eventually :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
shes just a baby and at 13 weeks you are expecting too much ,i would never crate a pup at this age,ive always let them use paper until at least 6 months old and even then i never expected them to go a full night without an accident,some bulldogs dont mind sleeping in thier own mess i know my girl would sleep in her pee!!,she has been lazy in the house breaking department and i got to thinking that the more fuss i made the more she did it,its best to ignore accidents,concentrate on getting her clean through the day first ,but remember shes far too young to go through the night,some bulldogs are quick some are slow and some are even slower lol,i ended up with the slowest in the free world!!!,karen

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
My Rocky is 10 weeks old, no crate for me tho, i'm at home most of the time, so we decided not to use one, Rocky has a little area for himself, it's small but plenty of room for him, when we got him home, i was on top of him every minute, any sniffing i would take him outside immediately, first 2 days, he had 2 or 3 accidents, but just pee, never poop! thank goodness, just keep your eyes on her, at put him to sleep around 9:30, his last meal is at 6, but i stop the water at 8, and take him outside one more time right before 9:30. I don't wake up at night, i use a wee wee pad in his room, and at night that's what he uses if he needs to pee, some nights he uses it some nights is completely dry, wake up at 6:30 and he does his business outside. I've been really lucky with him, i could say after 3 weeks with him he's pretty much potty trained, hope this helps!!! and Good Luck to You and Ella!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.