Messing in her crate

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
Lola is 15 mo. and has been trained for quite a while, meaning she hasn't had any accidents in the house while we're home. However, when she's in her crate she will pee and poop. When I'm home with her, she will go out around 7:30am and then will sleep all day long without going out until almost 5:00pm! But, even if I let her out and she does all of her business and I'm only gone for a couple of hours, the crate will be at least wet and sometimes poopy. I work Mon - Fri, so it's not like we only occasionally leave her. Our 3 yr old Boston terrier is crated right next to her so she's not alone. And, they both like their crates - they go very willingly inside. Any thoughts on what I can do to get her to keep her crate clean? Do you think sheay out grow this?

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Do you feed lola in her crate they usually wont go to the bathroom in the same place they have to eat.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't see alot of response to this so I'm bumping it up. How often does this happen? Once in a great while or all the time? I would suggest just going back a few steps in potty training. Can you create an area (I used the kitchen) where there's a bed area, food area and then a potty area? (like in an exercise pen, for example). Just go back a few steps and then move forward. Don't shame the dog. Don't yell at the dog. Neither of these things will help you or the dog. :D
You dog should have access to water all day too - particularly in summer. Is there water in the crate then? When you leave, do you make a big deal out of it? "Bye Bye Mama will be home soon" etc.? I'd stop that too. Lots of questions. I hope we can help!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
How big is the crate? If the crate is too big and she can go in her crate and still lay down she will keep doing it. She won't go in there if she can't lay down without laying in it. I have a create that has a divider that I can move back and forth or remove to make the crate as big or as small as you want.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1725]cslafferty[/MENTION] - don't leave us hangin' now. How's it going? What have you tried? How big is the crate? Etc. We're here to help!

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
same like mine hes keep peeing on his bed "not crate". night time when he goes to sleep i put down his bed he sleep there, but in the morning i see he wet the bed but poop on the pee pad???

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
same like mine hes keep peeing on his bed "not crate". night time when he goes to sleep i put down his bed he sleep there, but in the morning i see he wet the bed but poop on the pee pad???

I would crate him at night then. How old is he? If he is old enough he should be able to hold it through the night. If not, when Tubs was a puppy we got up through the night to take him out. While we were house training him he was in the crate at night and when we were out of the house. He was only out when we were able to keep an eye on him and he went out as soon as he was let out of the crate. Crating is the method to house training and night time pottying. At one point we almost needed to put him back in it at night because he was waking us up through the night by jumping and putting his paws on the bed to wake us up. This only lasted a few weeks though, so it must have been a phase. He never went in the house, he just kept waking us up to go out. So, if you are having a problem with pottying through the night and in the house, I would crate him until he learns to hold it through the night. As I mentioned above, the crate has to be the right size because he won't go where he lays. Keep us posted!

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Hi there, what do you put in her crate?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If you give your bully a blanket to lie on in the crate, that might be messing her up. For some reason, a lot of bullies seem to like to pee on blankets! Bre does this occasionally and she is 7. The remedy was no blankie in the crate. Hope that helps.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma's 5 months old now and is also crated during the day when I'm at work and Wilson is right next to her. She's holding out until about 3-4 for a potty and a poop is at around 4-5 (or right before I get home). Twice now she's made it all day. Wilson was already 100% potty trained by this age. Granted she's only 5 months and she's crated 10 hours so she's doing pretty good overall. Tonight I shrunk her xpen to a 2'x2' area. I hate to do it but she needs to train more. I never thought of taken her crate bed out so I think I will do that as well. It's in the washer right now cause she peed everywhere today. Wilson was sooo different.

I also have a home monitoring system and I check in quite frequently during the day - that's how I know when she goes. :up:

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I remember my girl being harder to train than my boy also, maybe the girls are just more stubborn! ;)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I remember my girl being harder to train than my boy also, maybe the girls are just more stubborn! ;)
She's really good at night, she's now out of her nighttime crate but on our bed. It's a lot of ask when they have water and they're still youngins' to go all day. :)

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG it drives me nuts when people post and then disappear! Don't they know we care? *sniff* :cry:

:lol:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.